Is Google Fiber worth it?

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I've only read the first page so don't chew me out if it I missed it...but PC747 didn't mention that Fiber also comes with no bandwidth cap.

That's a crucial part to all of this. Technology becomes more and more integrated with our lives every year. If you told me 10 years ago I'd be using 200 gigabytes of data every month, I'd have called you crazy. Now a days I'm struggling to stay under the bandwidth cap issued to Comcast customers.

Google is giving us the chance to be ahead of the technology curve. For everyone saying "meh, my internet is fast enough already", it won't be in the near future.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Gigabit +TV:

Basic Internet
  • $0 per month
  • +$300 construction fee one time or $25/mo for 12 months
  • 5 Mbps down 1 up
  • Network Box
  • No contract and free service for at least 7 years

So I challenge you to look at your current bill and ask are you saving or losing by switching. Keep in mind the speeds your current provider offers. For me Gigabit Internet with Hulu, Netflix, and SlingTV would come to $107 (give or take). My current bill with Xfinity 50 Mbps up/down and the sports package come to $99.[/QUOTE]

I have the Uverse 300 w/18Mbps down (Truthfully it's 24, but advertised as 18) and I pay $116 a month total.

The $120 package would satisfy my needs for a robust upload speed, as I love remoting into my CPU while at work and streaming via Plex. The channels would prevent my wife from refusing to ditch cable so she can watch her shows w/out hoops and hurdles live.

The Basic Internet would have been PERFECT for me as I used to pay $50 for the same speeds w/Cable One about 5 years ago when I lived alone. Yep. Picture that! The downfall though is the $300 fee, which is steep. I was able to get all my downloading out the way while stream "good enough" status most of the time! Shoot, I used to stream WWE PPVs over 3G w/out much flack when I pirated stuff!

The middle package, which I didn't include, would be a waste. It wouldn't satisfy my needs, nor my wife's.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah 300 is steep out of pocket for the free stuff. I get better speeds tethering . I imagine it may make it to my neck of the woods around the same time I'm buying my new 8k tv. 6-7 years from now. LOL

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Our fiber installs are $300. But when we do the install, we use a Ditch Witch and bury your fiber from hand hole to the house. We then have to splice the drop at the hand hole and at the ONT at the house. We install a router and phone service. Phone service comes with every package whether you want it or not. For Basic Fiber you get 20/20 and phone for $44.95. Comparatively our wireless service is $49.95 for 768Kbps/256Kbps.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Got ya. I am familiar with them. Windstream installs them on rural horse farms in Lexington, KY. We replace a lot of them, but in our area they are really very reliable and come with some awesome SLAs to keep customers happy.

loki993

Reaction score
This thread was inspired by @cr6. Some of us have grown tired of our service options as far as cable and internet. And in our frustrations we begin to wonder if the grass is greener on the other side. I am not here to convince you one way or another but to just present the facts and ask you to look at your current provider to determine if you would be getting a deal or paying more.​

Lets start with the facts and to do so we are going to use the rates for Kansas City. Google Fiber as of now offers 3 options; Gigabit+TV, Gigabit Internet, and Basic Internet.

Gigabit +TV:

Gigabit Internet
  • $70 per month
  • 1000 Mbps (1 gig) up/down
  • 1 TB storage
  • Network Box
  • 1 year commitment with $300 construction fee waived

Basic Internet
  • $0 per month
  • +$300 construction fee one time or $25/mo for 12 months
  • 5 Mbps down 1 up
  • Network Box
  • No contract and free service for at least 7 years

So I challenge you to look at your current bill and ask are you saving or losing by switching. Keep in mind the speeds your current provider offers. For me Gigabit Internet with Hulu, Netflix, and SlingTV would come to $107 (give or take). My current bill with Xfinity 50 Mbps up/down and the sports package come to $99.

First thing a lot of us don't have service "options" I have Xfinity thats it. Yes ATT is available but the speed is nowhere near competitive so its not a fair comparison.

Second if you're paying 99 dollars for 50 meg internet and TV your on a introductory rate..be prepared for it to at least double once thats over...happened to me.

This its not an apple to oranges comparison......Comcasts fastest internet, at least where I'm at is 105 Mbps and that's 89 a month to start going up to 114 after the intro rate wears off in a year.

Fact is even for the top tier to get something comparable from Comcast, or direct TV, in my areas it would be at least 150 a month Id think.

Not to mention your getting 20 times faster internet on top of that

Last edited:

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
In my area, TWC only offers 50Mbps. The introductory rate is $64.99. This does not include to modem they give you or the wireless router they cram down your throat. I provided my own modem (when I had the service) and my own router (I don't use a typical router). Now add tax plus all of their silly little charges and you come out over $70. Once the 12 month rate is over, it jumps up to $99.99.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Me paying $75 for 80/6 Internet with bright house, I'd be over their gigabit Internet in a flash. Tv I don't care for as we get basic tv over the air, everything else stream via net.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
i would gladly jump on the internet and or internet +tv plan.
i am on cox in sandiego with 100Mb/s down and 25Mb/s up
paying $70 a month...
i droped their tv to go with direct tv for the nfl package... 50 a month (still cheaper than my privious bundle with cox)
i also have netfli and hulu.
so i would be happy to drop cox and direct tv for fiber.
Google! please come to san diego please!

Yellowhammer

Reaction score
I'm sad because there is fiber optic cable running within 0.25 mile of my house, owned by Southern Light and Fiber (an ISP). They won't even talk to me, even though I'm willing to pay big bucks for internet (I already pay $410/month for T1).

The same is true with Mediacom cable, whose lines stop 3 miles short of my house. I told them I would finance the remaining 3 miles, but they said they would "probably never be interested" in running cable to my subdivision.

I've considered starting my own ISP for the subdivision. I've also considered purchasing or leasing a piece of property with access to cable or DSL, and then beaming a directional wireless signal to my home.

I'm not rich, but I'm willing to pay much more than the average joe. But even though I'm willing to thrown money around, I can't buy service. It's un-American.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to ask, how long until Google Fiber have an effect on the entire nation?
I know we not going to see fiber make a nationwide boom but they could get in enough key markets to influence a change in how we view Internet speeds.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I'm sad because there is fiber optic cable running within 0.25 mile of my house, owned by Southern Light and Fiber (an ISP). They won't even talk to me, even though I'm willing to pay big bucks for internet (I already pay $410/month for T1).

What is the reason they are giving you for jot running the fiber? Are they an ILEC or a CLEC? Are they a small local company, or large state-wide or multi-state company? Sometimes fiber strung on a pole is for transit only, carrying enough strands to suit their transit needs. So that fiber that is 0.25mi from your house might be there for that specific need.

Also, building out fiber for that distance for one customer might not be worth it, even if you do pay the build out cost.

Or they might not really care as it might not be worth their time.

The same is true with Mediacom cable, whose lines stop 3 miles short of my house. I told them I would finance the remaining 3 miles, but they said they would "probably never be interested" in running cable to my subdivision.

Send me a PM if this is something you really want to do, but if this is a real goal, be prepared to give up most of you life to starting up your company. There is a lot to starting an ISP, and a heavy investment in coffee and Excedrin is recommended.

Also, be aware that even if they don't plan to build out in your area you could face legal battles because they are going to want to stop you.

I know we not going to see fiber make a nationwide boom but they could get in enough key markets to influence a change in how we view Internet speeds.

I think it is mostly a PR thing. To make an impact they are going to have yo build out to where other companies refuse. And they won't likely want to spend the money on that.

loki993

Reaction score

I think its only going to have an effect where is available. Most people that worry about internet speed already know that the prices and speeds available in the US are far worse that just about any other developed country. I don't see that changing anytime soon unless there is a nationwide fiber boom.