Is rooting for old or cheap phones?

newbroot83

Reaction score
The problem was that the camera was not working due to some hardware reasons, yet they didn't repaired it ,saying it was because of the illegal rooting stuff.

Nor would they repair it. Thats what I just stated. He should have sent it in before rooting, or at least unrooted first. Since my first droid ive always been told to go ahead and return to stock to avoid any questions. Why did he decide to root when he should have been able to get a brand new phone replacement without an issue?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not illegal to root ...warranty does void ..they can refuse to fix but not keep your phone its yours ...first step to fixing a rooted phone is to return to stock before sending in ..

N2 tap'd HD

The only way I (read as my personal opinion) see that the carrier could keep the phone is if the subsidy period has not expired. Since the phone is not fully paid off, it is not technically yours. Like a car lien.

The truth of the matter, because we are in a grey period, is that we believe what to we want to believe but so do the carriers. Ultimately, it will depend on who opens your box. If the repair person is cool with rooting, you will get your phone back. If they are not, you're screwed.

JMHO.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
The only way I (read as my personal opinion) see that the carrier could keep the phone is if the subsidy period has not expired. Since the phone is not fully paid off, it is not technically yours. Like a car lien.

The truth of the matter, because we are in a grey period, is that we believe what to we want to believe but so do the carriers. Ultimately, it will depend on who opens your box. If the repair person is cool with rooting, you will get your phone back. If they are not, you're screwed.

JMHO.

In the case of Verizon I know we are paying for the phone monthly during the contract period...so I could see them refusing or charging to fix it ..but you are still under contract and paying for it...
I've also seen rooted phones returned with no objections( so you could be right with depending on who gets it) ...Technically it says you void warranty ...so you break it you fix it should apply...
I truly believe for those of us that root if you screw it up bc you tried something then own up...If it's hardware related that was not caused by rooting then put it back to stock then return...