Is rooting for old or cheap phones?

newbroot83

Reaction score
Sounds like an easy way to brick a phone.

It can be if you stupidly do things blindly. But it can also have more rewards. With no risk there is no reward. Research and research some more before doing anything. Itll be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
No more than you dropping it in a pool of water by accident...knowledge my friend is everything. ..development community is incredible ..

N2 tap'd HD

Ever heard of Erica the technology need who likes to film stuff?

She's very knowledgable. Watch one or 2 of her videos before making comments.

She bricked her SIII. Watch her S3 videos she mistakenly clicked on the wrong file because they were on top of each other. Ended up installing the one for a Note 2. She killed the phone.

newbroot83

Reaction score

She bricked her SIII. Watch her S3 videos she mistakenly clicked on the wrong file because they were on top of each other. Ended up installing the one for a Note 2. She killed the phone.

Which means she wasnt paying attention. You should never do anything blindly. And its pretty hard to hard brick one. Send a link a let us see what happened.

OP
A

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
Which means she wasnt paying attention. You should never do anything blindly. And its pretty hard to hard brick one. Send a link a let us see what happened.

Not really. She's probably more tech savvy than you. Could happen to anyone.

newbroot83

Reaction score
Not really. She's probably more tech savvy than you. Could happen to anyone.

Lmao let's have a grade school argument. You have nothing to base your statement on making it foolish. I asked for a link. You shouldnt throw random accusations out when you yourself have no knowledge of the platform. You make yourself sound moronic. We are trying to help you and yet you insult us. So lets try again. May I have the link

And yes it could happen. But thats why you pay attention and double check before doing anything.

OP
A

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
Lmao let's have a grade school argument. You have nothing to base your statement on making it foolish. I asked for a link. You shouldnt throw random accusations out when you yourself have no knowledge of the platform. You make yourself sound moronic. We are trying to help you and yet you insult us. So lets try again. May I have the link

And yes it could happen. But thats why you pay attention and double check before doing anything.

A link? YouTube.com

That's it. Type Erica technology nerd.

You can hear the story there.

But yes. It could happen to anyone.

Also, it requires tech knowledge to be installing custom software that the people who made the phone never approved to be installed there.

So; there's always risk even if you install the correct Rom.

But the regular user doesn't even know what we're talking about. Phones should come out of the box and work. I guess that's why so many choose the iPhone.

newbroot83

Reaction score
A link? YouTube.com

Also, it requires tech knowledge to be installing custom software that the people who made the phone never approved to be installed there.

But the regular user doesn't even know what we're talking about. Phones should come out of the box and work. I guess that's why so many choose the iPhone.

Lmao. Oh you mean software I run on all my other phones?

There are multiple videos for her or I wouldnt ask for a specific link. Obviously you are a genious.

And phones do work right out of the box. You however seem to be dissatisfied with that so here we are talking out of your league about roms.

And finally, I would love to see the statitics showing that people use iphones because they work out of the box and androids dont.

This whole conversation is frivolous.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
A link? YouTube.com

I am reading this thread with my jaw open. Ajarnfalang, NOBODY is telling you that you have to use a ROM or that ROMs are for everybody. Some people do use the phone out of the box and never touch the software. Some people are addicted to flashing a new ROM every day. I don't worry about somebody else bricking their phone. I only worry about mine and I do it from time to time because I feel comfortable knowing that there are people here that can help me when I screw up.

If you don't want to flash a ROM, GOOD FOR YOU!! That is what this forum is all about: people's freedom to do what they want with their own phones. But please don't try to tell me how bad it is for me. I know because I have taken the time to learn about rooting and have bricked my phone on several occasions and have learned from each and every experience. But, with the help of people on this FANTASTIC website, I have recovered from every one of them and have been better for it!

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
hmm....sounds like a case of a previous Iphone user new to Android...... however like others here I only worry about my phone and what I do with it. Why should I worry myself with someone's decision to root and rom THEIR phone......

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Her fault for not double checking to make sure the files were correct. In many tutorials/install instructions I've seen there's always a "make sure you have the right file" disclaimer, especially if there are multiple ROMs on one page.

It's easy to flash a ROM and it's just as easy to brick it if one fails to follow instructions and doesn't double check files before flashing.

And as BK said, the dev community goes above and beyond with their work and careful instructions on how to install their ROM, making the process as simple as possible. They also have disclaimers saying they're not responsible if YOU brick YOUR phone. So yes it can happen to anyone, but it can easily be prevented by double checking the files to make sure they're the correct ones.

And as you said the regular user doesn't even know what a ROM is. They may have an idea and they may not be comfortable with the idea of it, but they still have the choice not to flash a ROM. I don't know about you, but every Android phone I've used has worked great out the box, many people who flash ROMs are just looking to further enhance their Android experience. If you frown upon that idea then that's your opinion, but don't say ROMs lead to nothing but trouble when you don't know the facts. If you don't feel Android phones are good enough out of the box, stick to whatever phone you're using since that's working out for you. Android is about choices; this phone or that phone, try X Y or Z ROM, or leave it stock? The choice is up to one person, the user.

I don't know what other boards you go to, but we here at DF fully support any adopter of Android and should they have any questions regarding their device we're here to help. Flashing a ROM, installing the latest app, changing up their homescreen, whatever it may be, we don't judge anyone's choice on their hardware and software because we like to keep an open mind, just as Google intended Android to be.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+

Doesn't say much for Erica if she has two different phones and the files are in the same area (she didn't install new software carefully that's for sure)...I'm sorry but if you prepare correctly this kind of stuff will not happen to most people...Are people like Erica a danger to herself...YES !! It's like everything in life you are responsible for your own actions...

Edit:
I'm actually going to post Erica video here ...those that wish to see that Erica was sleepy;paid no attention when using Odin and instead of having the files in the proper area to grab bricked her phone..

[video=youtube;oMG-_26NgXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oMG-_26NgXM[/video]

newbroot83

Reaction score
One of my friend rooted his phone and didn't installed any custom rom, his camera was not working due to some hardware reasons , so he gave his phone for repairing in the registered service center. You know what they did? they said that it was rooted and they wont be able to do anything as it voids the warranty. Infact they didn't gave his phone back as they said "Rooting is illegal".

Camera not working could be argued that it was destroyed by something done after the rooting process. I would have unrooted in that scenario. If they can argue that it was broken by or after the rooting process it does ruin the warranty, but they shouldnt have kept his phone. Its still in a grey area for legal or illegal (from the way I understand it)

newbroot83

Reaction score
Doesn't say much for Erica if she has two different phones and the files are in the same area (she didn't install new software carefully that's for sure)...I'm sorry but if you prepare correctly this kind of stuff will not happen to most people...Are people like Erica a danger to herself...YES !! It's like everything in life you are responsible for your own actions...

Edit:
I'm actually going to post Erica video here ...those that wish to see that Erica was sleepy;paid no attention when using Odin and instead of having the files in the proper area to grab bricked her phone..

[video=youtube;oMG-_26NgXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oMG-_26NgXM[/video]

Shes a danger to us all lmao. And apparently she is the most tech savvy of us all. All bow to the nerd

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
The problem was that the camera was not working due to some hardware reasons, yet they didn't repaired it ,saying it was because of the illegal rooting stuff.

It's not illegal to root ...warranty does void ..they can refuse to fix but not keep your phone its yours ...first step to fixing a rooted phone is to return to stock before sending in ..

N2 tap'd HD