Is there a way to stop the upgrade to gingerbread?

cutiedroid

Reaction score
What a pain upgrading to gingerbread is, especially when it's automatically pushed from Verizon. Then I thot the instructions for the upgrade would be easy, but it isn't. My phone is rooted, but I didn't do anything else after the root, no mods or anything except GO Launcher EX. I did d/l'd z4Root, Root Explorer, Superuser, and Droid 2 Recovery and just had them running, but I hardly even used Root Explorer, let alone the others. The first Verizon push with the upgrade I awoke to find my phone on the Clockworkmodrecovery, or whatever, where I had to reboot to come back to the normal phone. There have been both auto and manual upgrade attempts.

At first I thought all I had to do was uninstall the above named files and the upgrade would work fine. Sooo no. How can you uninstall something but it still continues to affect your phone? My phone is v. 2.4.330.A956, Android v 2.2, so why do I have to download SBF 2.4.330? And which RSDLite file am I supposed to download? I saw one as late as RSDLite 5.4.4. I give up. My phone is working just fine as it is so my question is can I stop the attempts to upgrade it? Or what is the benefit of the gingerbread upgrade?

I hope I get some replies to this post; I don't know what's what with this upgrade and I'm going to keep fooling around until I brick my phone which would really tick me off. Thanks.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
SBF will completely re install 2.4.330
the most likley problem is the Droid 2 Recovery if you did nothing else not mentioned
like detete apps that came with the phone

SBF is easy just follow direction on Droid Wiki for SBF
RSDLite versions 4.9 and 5.0 are reported to work well with the A956

after SBF phone should update just fine
but you will not lose data using SBF
several apps can be use to backup I use titanium backup (apps & App data), sms backup+ ( call log & Texts),My Backup (Data, Apps, App Data, and call log)

edit: will not lose data using SBF

Last edited:

leobg

Reaction score
SBF will completely re install 2.4.330
the most likley problem is the Droid 2 Recovery if you did nothing else not mentioned
like detete apps that came with the phone

SBF is easy just follow direction on Droid Wiki for SBF
RSDLite versions 4.9 and 5.0 are reported to work well with the A956

after SBF phone should update just fine
but you will lose all you data using SBF
several apps can be use to backup I use titanium backup (apps & App data), sms backup+ ( call log & Texts),My Backup (Data, Apps, App Data, and call log)

No data will be lost with SBF. Process does not touch /data partition - it remains unchanged. Since you are on the same OS release - phone will simply go back to stock in terms of /system contents - no root and no CWM. At this point Gingerbread update will install fine. No data will be lost at this step either. Gingerbread is a vast improvement over 2.4.29 and 2.4.330. Once upgraded, you can use D3 one click method to re-root if you want root.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
No data will be lost with SBF. Process does not touch /data partition - it remains unchanged. Since you are on the same OS release - phone will simply go back to stock in terms of /system contents - no root and no CWM. At this point Gingerbread update will install fine. No data will be lost at this step either. Gingerbread is a vast improvement over 2.4.29 and 2.4.330. Once upgraded, you can use D3 one click method to re-root if you want root.

thanks meant to change that but forgot