[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

meishkov

Reaction score
Man I don't know about the sg3, 4.8" is pretty dam big, messing with the nexus 4.65" seemed too big. Well I guess when comparing it to the OG screen its definitely gonna seem that way haha. But at 4.8" I think its really testing the limit and boundaries of what you can use with one hand.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
meishkov said:
Man I don't know about the sg3, 4.8" is pretty dam big, messing with the nexus 4.65" seemed too big. Well I guess when comparing it to the OG screen its definitely gonna seem that way haha. But at 4.8" I think its really testing the limit and boundaries of what you can use with one hand.

Eh, I think the whole no bevel (screen extends all the way to the sides) would only make it very slightly bigger than the gnex

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I ended up with a Nexus, the SGSIII is only a small improvement over the Nexus and if you count TouchWiz its actually a step back. I really didn't feel like waiting any longer.

When I start kernel work on the Nexus I will churn out another D1 kernel as well. Should be a few days but possibly sooner (D1 not Nexus).

Last edited:

meishkov

Reaction score
I ended up with a Nexus, the SGSIII is only a small improvement over the Nexus and if you count TouchWiz its actually a step back. I really didn't feel like waiting any longer.

When I start kernel work on the Nexus I will churn out another D1 kernel as well. Should be a few days but possibly sooner (D1 not Nexus).

Excellent news. Yea I'm still regretting not getting the nexus last Xmas like I originally planned. Now I feel I'm too late to the party. Especially with quadcore coming out soon, but with all the development on the nexus its gonna be like a decade before that beast can truly be considered obsolete. ICS was sick on it tho toying with it last week at the big red store. I know firsthand how that beast lived up to and exceeded its expectations. Always good to see That :)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
meishkov said:
Excellent news. Yea I'm still regretting not getting the nexus last Xmas like I originally planned. Now I feel I'm too late to the party. Especially with quadcore coming out soon, but with all the development on the nexus its gonna be like a decade before that beast can truly be considered obsolete. ICS was sick on it tho toying with it last week at the big red store. I know firsthand how that beast lived up to and exceeded its expectations. Always good to see That :)

Well you do know quadcore is kinda pointless until jellybean comes out at the end of this year or beginning of next year, right? ics is optimized for DUALcore not quadcore, at any rate quadcore is unnecessary, dualcore will be fine for quite awhile yet...it's like having 64 GB memory for windows on a PC when it's not even fully supported lol

meishkov

Reaction score
I am aware of this. Always good to be ahead of the curve than behind it. U should see my post in that Samsung galaxy 2 name ur dream tablet. I had an octo-core chipset, 16gb of RAM, which I Don't think is too ridiculous, like 100TB of storage, uhd screen, and a whole bunch of goodies. I'm still rockin the OG here, so basically any new phone would be an upgrade haha. I especially love maps just randomly closing when searching for an address, and going back to a blank homescreen. Trusty reboot always keeps things fresh tho :)

DaxxTrias

Reaction score
I can't imagine too awful much can still be squeezed out of the kernel at this point, though I'd still love to see a kernel you would consider at least release-candidate material, if not finalized Prime.

Will you be merging any additional kernel updates into it? (ie: getting us away from the 2.6.32.X version set)

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I can't imagine too awful much can still be squeezed out of the kernel at this point, though I'd still love to see a kernel you would consider at least release-candidate material, if not finalized Prime.

Will you be merging any additional kernel updates into it? (ie: getting us away from the 2.6.32.X version set)

Not a lot could be improved upon in terms of GUI responsiveness or battery life.

I need to re-implement zram along with a few other minor updates. New code will likely not be introduced.

I don't know when I will have time as other priorities have arisen, but I will finish it.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
prime said:
Not a lot could be improved upon in terms of GUI responsiveness or battery life.

I need to re-implement zram along with a few other minor updates. New code will likely not be introduced.

I don't know when I will have time as other priorities have arisen, but I will finish it.

Would a different I/O scheduler help any? I know FIOPS is good-tested it myself against cfq, noop, and deadline myself on the gnex. Also sio is another very good one with essentially no overhead...if the Droid is even capable of using either one

Btw if you can find a definitive performance comparison between FIOPS and sio it would be nice,I can't really find anything

meishkov

Reaction score
So, umm... any update on that io scheduler? ;)
I know its basically become a last.priority device, n can't really blame it. I mean its hardware is almost 3 years old now, so I mean I'd have to say the majority of its capabilities have already been achieved n already surpassed by the great love and devotion That the extremely talented developers on here such as prime have shown it. Anything beyond what's already been done would be a huge bonus. All I'm trying to do at this point is wait if necessary for a new kernel to drop along with a new version of steel Droid, and flash both as the final flashes to be done before getting a new phone.

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I will let you know, I just can't seem to find any free time lately.

Not for this kernel or for the nexus.

phonetool

Reaction score
Is the OP up to date?

-onDroid

+edit+
I had some housekeeping issues trying to find my copy of the last kernel, but eventually I found it.

Last edited:
OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have a few ideas for an update, it involves backporting code and I simply have had no 'free' time.