Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If you're unfamiliar with it, Google offers a Local Guides program where you "help other explore the world and get great benefits in return". I don't go out of my way to do this either. It mostly involves snapping a picture and answering some questions. If you participate in Google's Opinion Rewards then you have an idea how this works. I'm currently at level 3, working on 4.

Just wanted to share this in case some were not aware of the Local Guides program and to see who else here participates.

Here's a link to get started: Local Guides

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just signed up and I'm already on Level 2. Nice.

Pretty sure this is because I've written a review or two through Opinion Rewards and also answered questions about some places while in Google Maps/etc.

Too bad it's snowing now. It would be fun to use this service as a guide and an excuse to go to some places we haven't visited lately or at all in our area.

Thanks for the heads up!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This just popped up again for me today. Went out dinner last night and Maps popped up one of those "answer questions about this place" surveys so I answered. Then the option for Local Guides popped up again and I figured "why not" and signed up. I'm also at Level 2 already based on past reviews, surveys and questions answered. Anyone make it to Level 3 or 4 yet?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm at 17 and just saw that I have over 30 places pending review in Maps. Yikes, looks like I need to get busy.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I wanted to do that, but I don't get out as much as they really need for a person to be helpful. I mainly go places for takeout or for the kids and I stay with friends when I travel mostly. I plan to do a little more with my friends as I manage my retirement direction... But for now, I'm enjoying being a homebody for the first time in my adult life! I do think that local guides is a great idea, though!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm up to Level 4 already, and earned a nifty little badge in the Maps app. Anyone getting close to Level 10?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm up to Level 4 already, and earned a nifty little badge in the Maps app. Anyone getting close to Level 10?

Not yet, but when they recently revamped the point system I got bumped up to Level 5.

I try to review any new places I go but since I hang around the home area most of the time, it's hard to do when you're going to the same places over and over. I did go down to the Outer Banks last week and reviewed the few places we actually did go to while there (spent most of the time relaxing on the beach) so that's a little something.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just saw that Google is offering 3 months of the New York Times (digital subscription) for free to Local Guides members.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This one fell off the radar also. For those that are Local Guides, are you still participating & still getting frequent requests to review places from your location history? Anyone made it past Level 5 yet?