Lost mobile data capability

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I only use WAZE. It doesn't use more battery than Gmaps. And it's better for road hazards with the crowd sourced updates.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had to meet a former co worker for lunch today. About a 15 minute drive each way. I had Waze running and streaming Play Music. 15 min there, 45 min in the restaurant and 15 min drive back. My phone only lost 10% battery, was not plugged in at all. I can see 10% when not plugged in, and expected something similar. I will try again with it plugged into a charger. Even with Waze using a good bit of battery power, I would not expect your phone (or mine) to lose charge while plugged into a decent charger. There might be something else going on?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I would not expect your phone (or mine) to lose charge while plugged into a decent charger. There might be something else going on?
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I'll be curious to hear how your commute home does with Waze and the charger. If there's an external issue, I hope it's my truck -- simpler and cheaper to replace the power port thingy (formerly cigarette lighter), I would think....

Saturday, I started with 100% battery and ended up with 16% by the time I got to my destination four hours away. As I said earlier, I didn't pay attention to which slot I was plugged into, so it could have easily been the 1A.

Whatever the issue is, I need to figure it out and correct it. I do some weekend trips to unfamiliar areas and would really like the assistance of my phone AND tunes.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Does it seem to charge correctly when not in use and plugged into the original Turbo Charger? Does it display Turbo Power, or whatever the normal message is inbthe screen, and charge up to 100% correctly using that charger?

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
The OEM charger does the turbo charge properly. I've only used it twice. I use a different charger at home at night and it charges fine. When I plug it in to any of the chargers in our trucks, it says it's charging (not Turbo). On a "typical" day (how many days have I actually had this), I start out with 100% at 5 AM and plug back in at bedtime which is around 10 PM with ~ 30% battery. I use my phone quite a bit for calls, texts, facebook, linkedin, and tapatalk, so I consider this a fair drain on the battery. What I experienced over the weekend troubled me. I can't not have a phone with a charge. I do have my little battery pack I used while instructing, so that was a huge help, and can continue with that setup if need be, but I would think the phone could handle the use I was throwing at it. My Bionic, with it's pathetic battery, and my Maxx could handle it. Granted, with the previous phones, I was able to deactivate email synching when I knew I needed to conserve battery.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I'd put money on the 1A car charger.(or did I miss you have a 2A? ) I have a 2.4A in my car and truck. Both can keep up with my music and GPS usage.

One of these in each vehicle with a USB cable.

Amazon.com: Aukey CC-S1 4.8A Dual Port USB Car Charger - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

You're where in Ohio? I can lend you one of mine if you're close to CLE.
I have been using 2.1A since I knowingly experienced the battery drain.
Amazon.com: Car Phone Charger - Powerful 3 Port USB Cell Phone Charger From Vano - For Apple iPhone, iPad, Tablet, eBook - RV Accessories - Cigarette Lighter Plug: Cell Phones & Accessories
Do you think bumping up to 2.4A will help? If so, I'll order one like you have, it'll be cheaper than the gas to get up to Cleveland to borrow one of yours, @Mustang02. I appreciate the offer, but I'm not *that* close.

Last night, I didn't run Waze or iHeart radio, but was on the phone my entire drive. I was plugged in and lost 14% battery. I think something is going on.
09888ba60f904872ac9597a30f6482c6.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I would agree that something seems wrong with either your phone,m or your charger. This morning my drive to work took 20 minutes. I started off with Waze running and streaming Play Music. Drove to work with Waze open, screen on, music playing and plugged into the 2A slot on the charger that came with my Bluetooth car kit using a genuine Motorola charge cable (the one that came with my Droid RAZR M Car Dock). I started off at 94% battery and when I got to work I was at 97% battery. Waze may be a battery hog but my phone charged, no loss of charge. I don't think Waze or iHeart Radio is the issue for you. Especially now that you said you lost charge while driving today with nothing running.

I checked Ampere before I turned everything off and looks like it was charging fine.

Screenshot_20160714-072816.png

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Why is WiFi displaying as steady On in your battery meter screen shot, if you were driving? I wonder if having WiFi constantly turned On is killing your battery. Some Turbo 2 Users (including myself) have experienced some Bluetooth & WiFi battery drain ever since the Marhsmallow update. Mine is not severe, but Bluetooth uses more battery than it did on Lollipop and keeps my phone awake sometimes even after disconnecting the device. Some Users have reported drastic battery drain with WiFi, Bluetooth or both. I wonder if that is what you are experiencing?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I turn off wifi and Bluetooth when I'm not using them.

I see the wifi now. That shouldn't be used while driving.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I wonder if I turn off WiFi for a couple of days, that might tell me something. I have no idea why it was "on" while driving -- unless the NSA is hovering over me on my commute ;)

I'm going to turn off WiFi, charge up my phone to 100% and see what the rest of the day and my commute home tonight show...