Message indicator

sir2545

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that when you open the native messaging app, there is a number above the icon for messages? I have a one above mine and it won't go away. My friend's Bolt has a three. Tried deleting all the messages and all the drafts to no avail.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Unless your describing something completely different than what I think you are that's how many messages are from/to that contact.

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

OP
sir2545

sir2545

Reaction score
When you open the conversation list screen, at the bottom, the icons have numbers like there are unread messages. I'm new to HTC phones, so I'm not used to the UI.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
When you open the conversation list screen, at the bottom, the icons have numbers like there are unread messages. I'm new to HTC phones, so I'm not used to the UI.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Not sure then. I've only owned this d2g and a few dumbphones. Sorry I can't help you out.

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

PatrickJ

Reaction score
I know what you're talking about because it was driving me nuts trying to figure out. Anywho...I just checked this morning but somehow the numbers went away? Hmmmm....LOL

OP
sir2545

sir2545

Reaction score
I know, mine did the same thing last night. It was driving me crazy and I still haven't figured it out.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Kack

Reaction score
ok this exact thing is driving me bat crap nuts. all my msgs are read. i cleared cache and forced stopped but still there. i really dont want to clear data because i dont want to lose my msgs. hope some one can figure this out.

ok less than 5 minutes from posting this the numbers went away. maybe the clear cache and force stop worked but not immediately. .......... and after i spent 10 minutes looking for this thread. lol

Last edited:

Gatorguy18

Reaction score
What I've noticed is that it seems to happen if a text comes in when I'm in the messaging screen, sometimes the numbers won't disappear after I have read the text. The numbers do NOT appear on the main screen icon, but when you hit the messages icon and go into the screen, the numbers are there even though you already read all texts.

Here's where it goes away: when you receive another text from the same person and read that text. Next time it does it, text something back to the last person to text you and try to make them text you again.

In other words, it seems that sometimes the number doesn't get "reset to zero new" after you read a text, but next time another text comes in, the number is supposed to be there, then you read the new message and this time the "reset" to turn off the number works.

I didn't make much sense, I'm sure, but that's my $.02

jbutler

Reaction score
It happens if you exit out of the message app too quickly. if you have an unread message, read it, then exit the chat with that person and then exit the app without giving it time to take the number away, then it will stay there until you get the next message from that person and read it and let it go away before exiting the app.