Motorola acknowledges some ATRIX 4Gs have call quality issues, searching for a cure

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Motorola acknowledges some ATRIX 4Gs have call quality issues, searching for a cure

Motorola-acknowledges-some-ATRIX-4Gs-have-call-quality-issues-searching-for-a-cure.jpg
Some Motorola ATRIX 4G units have severe call quality problems - so severe, in fact, that people on the other side of the line report they are unable to figure out what the caller is trying to say.

Most users of such Motorola ATRIXs claim something along these lines:

"The voice quality is such a problem that almost every person I talk to tells me that I either sound like I am in a hole, in a cave, far away from my phone, on hands free, muffled, or just plain your phone really sucks."

Motorola is well aware of the problem and is searching for a way to sort out this issue.

Could The Bionic have the same issue? I hope not! I hope this issue is fixed before The Bionic is released!!!

source:Phone Arena via Engadget

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hard to believe (does anyone else remember this?) but the original Droid had similar issues. People were going COMPLETELY BONKERS at the Motorola user forum. Even more bonkers than "WHEN IS FROYO COMING?!?!??!!" bonkers. Two other related problems were people who couldn't get wifi to work, or the proximity sensor.

Of course it's all forgotten now. I'm pretty sure it's either a bad batch of phones, or a nasty software bug/hardware glitch interaction (my wife's Droid Eris had one like that). Tomorrow's news in a month.

-Matt

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
turning off voice privacy should help a little bit...i know it does with my OG Droid

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is this surprising?? Motorola should just lay down and submit... I'm back to HTC and will NEVER by another Motorola phone again...

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Our forum also has some kind of simple hardware fix for the OG problem, but I'm forgetting the details. Did it involve doing something quick to the microphone area? I'm glad I didn't have the problem.

-Matt

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola seems to be losing it completely. They had great success with the OG Droid and the X but since then it seems they have rushed every device without polishing it to it's final touch. The Xoom released with countless issues and now the Atrix having problems. IMO call quality is a HUGE issue, after all it is a phone. I still get people complaining to me that I sound muffled on my D1. Moto is just releasing products to try and keep up with competitors but they are actually losing ground with all these issues. And yet with all these issues they are "thinking" about starting their own OS. Geez I hate to see what that would look like.

sayhit0james

Reaction score
This was completely true. I had the Atrix for a day when I got stuck on AT&T (Huge problem btw. They lied and screwed me over so I was back to Verizon in less than 48 hours). Every single call I had while I had the Atrix was problematic; people couldn't hear me, it kept dropping, etc.

nerdkill

Reaction score
i returned my atrix after 5 days because of call quality. i blamed it on att, but i guess it was the phone. it was impossible to use as a work phone. back to verizon and loving my tbolt.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe (does anyone else remember this?) but the original Droid had similar issues. People were going COMPLETELY BONKERS at the Motorola user forum. Even more bonkers than "WHEN IS FROYO COMING?!?!??!!" bonkers. Two other related problems were people who couldn't get wifi to work, or the proximity sensor.

Of course it's all forgotten now. I'm pretty sure it's either a bad batch of phones, or a nasty software bug/hardware glitch interaction (my wife's Droid Eris had one like that). Tomorrow's news in a month.

-Matt

Yea I read about the infamous mute issue with the Droid 1 before I got it last year. I either had it and an update fixed it or rooting fixed it. I dont know what fixed it cuz I rooted my phone so fast after getting it.

I got my Droid 1 in March of last year and it was manufactured in Feb or March of last year. So mine was either a 2nd or 3rd batch.

Either way the mute issue with the Droid one was a big complaint when it first came out. Like you said either bad batches or software glitches was the problem cuz I dont hear ppl with Droid 1's now having the problem.

mthorn79

Reaction score
Kinda sucks for the hopes of people holding out on the Thunderbolt for the Bionic huh? LMAO

Keep putting the Bionic up on the pedestal, to find not only will you probably not get your unlimited plans but you'll also have crappy call quality!! (Not to mention a Motoblur device)

HA ha
:rofl3:

crackedvenom

Reaction score
I wonder if this is what that guy/insider from the other forum was talking about a month or so ago with an issue that couldnt be fixed?

Droid101

Reaction score
Kinda sucks for the hopes of people holding out on the Thunderbolt for the Bionic huh? LMAO

Keep putting the Bionic up on the pedestal, to find not only will you probably not get your unlimited plans but you'll also have crappy call quality!! (Not to mention a Motoblur device)

HA ha
:rofl3:

Now come on I mean Motorola has had plenty of time to work anything out of the Bionic.

I mean I could say the same thing about the thunderbolt. Nice phone shame you have crappy battery life and sense.

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
Why the hell are we picking sides and dumping on other android phones?

I love my D1 the battery is at the end of it's life... I ain't even mad.