Motorola Droid RAZR HD just destroyed 3rd SD card in 13 months!

elaineart

Reaction score
I have owned this phone since February 2013. The first micro SD card problem was with the first system update, less than 2 months after I got this new phone. All data was lost and the card was completely destroyed, not even able to be reformatted. Since Verizon had not been saving my photos, etc. because they were in the middle of their own updates, nothing could be recovered! The second card was destroyed by the phone about 6 months ago, with some data recoverable but only because it was on my computer. Verizon's new Cloud backup saves things, but will not let you access them to actually recover what was on the card or the phone! Tonight the third card was semi-fried by this phone! In each of the two previous cases, the phone was turned on but asleep because it wasn't actively being used. Tonight, I had picked up the phone to check the weather forecast and I could see that it was "pulsing." I don't know how else to describe it-pictures pulsed! Then suddenly my card was not connected. I have turned the phone off and on several times, done a system reboot, pulled the card to reseat it, pulled it to see if the computer could recognize it, etc. It is recognized and can be reformatted according to the computer, but all data/pictures are destroyed yet again! I have not yet tried to reformat it to see if it really can be done or if the card is again completely destroyed. This has to be a known problem with Motorola as there are posts all over the internet in every Android forum that exists-and not just with this particular phone, but it seems with all of their Android phones. Of course, nothing is admitted and so those of us stuck with their garbage phones just keep losing our data and having to re-buy SD cards. I cannot wait for this contract to be up so I can replace this piece of garbage with anything but a Motorola phone; I swear I will never waste my money on another Motorola!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What size card are you using? Are you constantly removing and reinstalling the cards?

OP
E

elaineart

Reaction score
What size card are you using? Are you constantly removing and reinstalling the cards?

The latest one is a 16gb class 10 that I bought when the older one was fried. I never mess with them except when this has happened. I simply don't see a reason to take it out at all-except the one I've experienced-since I can just plug in the phone and get anything I want on-or off-the computer. I have also tried three different brands, all name brands, and obviously that hasn't made a difference. From all of the posts on all of the forums, it's obvious it's the phone. The only thing I really wonder is if it's the Android OS or the phone itself. If it's the OS, there's no Android phone immune to this problem... I have preferred Android, but I will probably leave that system and leave Verizon with the next one.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My maxx and maxx hd never had this issue.. In fact I used a single 32 gig SD card from the time the bionic came out, swapped it into my maxx, to my maxx hd, then had to upload everything to a cloud because the Droid maxx doesn't have an SD card slot..

So my best guess would be that it's probably a hardware issue.. So you might look into having the phone warrantied if that's an option.. That's my view any how.. :) sorry I couldn't be of more help.

OP
E

elaineart

Reaction score
I finally realized that there has been another OS update (or patch) to this phone, which messed up more than the SD card, but that's the most damaging issue. That has been the case every time I have had a card destroyed. I would really love to know if it is specific to this and a few other Moto phones or is more widespread because it's a problem with the Android OS and the updates to it-or if it's a Verizon issue! None of that changes my opinion of the phone, but it certainly does explain yet another occurrence. From now on, everything just goes on the 8GB memory and I won't bother with a card at all. It will limit what I can have on my phone, but it's better than wasting another $20 or so for a new card! Anyone reading this who has a Verizon Moto Droid of any kind would probably be far ahead using only the phone memory! That's what my husband has done since his second card was destroyed (same model as mine, also Verizon)!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear that you have had so many issues with your phone & SD cards. That has to be very frustrating. I tend to concur with 94lt1 that there is a hardware issue with your phone. After the first or second time this happened, did you contact Moto Tech Support, while the phone was under warranty? I don't know if it's specific to Moto phones, or even Android. I have had the same 16GB SD Card since my first Droid 1 in 2010. I have used it in a Droid 1, Droid 3, Droid Bionic and a Razr M. My wife has also had the same 16GB SD Card since 2010 and has used it in a Droid 1, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible 4, and a Razr M.

OP
E

elaineart

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you have had so many issues with your phone & SD cards. That has to be very frustrating. I tend to concur with 94lt1 that there is a hardware issue with your phone. After the first or second time this happened, did you contact Moto Tech Support, while the phone was under warranty? I don't know if it's specific to Moto phones, or even Android. I have had the same 16GB SD Card since my first Droid 1 in 2010. I have used it in a Droid 1, Droid 3, Droid Bionic and a Razr M. My wife has also had the same 16GB SD Card since 2010 and has used it in a Droid 1, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible 4, and a Razr M.

Thanks, sajokaz! I actually had the phone replaced with a new one after the first SD card was destroyed. That particular card came included when I got my Droid X 2+ years earlier. It was great for that 27 months, but the HD has a different (more current) OS. As I said before, it worked fine in the HD until the first OS update/upgrade. I bought the next card after I received my new replacement phone. The OS was updated during setup and that card was great until the next update, when it too was ruined. The third one was the most recently destroyed. It's truly only the second one I have purchased, both for my phone. My husband used his from his old Droid X also, until the HD ruined it and he's just done without since-as I will now. Both Motorola and Verizon have been notified of these problems each time (except the most recent incident) and neither cares, knows anything about the problem, admits there could be a problem, etc..... Nothing will be resolved, but I will be doing a whole lot of research before I replace this phone (which I'm stuck with for another 10 months) regarding this problem with the Motorola Android phone and maybe Android phones in general! Perhaps a Windows phone is a better bet, but so far I fail to be impressed by those. The iPhone, which is loved by everyone I know who has one, is simply out of my price range, so that is probably not an option. Well, I've got plenty of time to contemplate what will replace this POS phone!