Motorola Surprises with their new Moto Hint Earbud Device

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto-Hint-1.jpg

The last cool gadget that Motorola announced came as a bit of a shock. Somehow they were able to keep this intriguing new device completely "off the grid" of the rumor-mill. It's called the Moto Hint, and it is quite simply a fancy new Bluetooth Earbud/Earpiece.

The Moto Hint is obviously meant to help make "hands-free" a bit more popular by making it less dorky/lame looking. We must admit, that this is actually a pretty good idea. With most states in the US quickly passing hands-free laws in regards to using devices while driving, changing the dynamic a bit could prove a smart idea. It definitely makes for a safer experience. This will be especially handy for folks with older cars that do not have Bluetooth capabilities.

moto-hint-2.png

Interestingly, this device has some other cool features as well. Here is what we know about the Moto Hint,
  • It sits in your ear and gives you voice activation
  • You can interact with Google Now to answer and make calls
  • You can receive navigation instruction without having to pull your phone out of your pocket
  • Battery life will supposedly last for 10 hours
At this time there are no other details regarding this device (like if it will pair with other Android devices besides Motorola's, and how well it will sit in your ear when you are active). The Moto Hint will be available sometime this Fall for $149.

Here's a link to Moto's landing page on the device: Moto Hint

Also, for more discussions regarding this unusual device, head over to our Android Accessories section here: http://www.droidforums.net/forums/android-accessories.18/

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's actually not a bad price for this device. Too many people buy these 40 dollar units and expect them to perform flawlessly. While my current BT is relatively small, it would be nice to have something less obtrusive like this.

tap'n on my S5

thc1967

Reaction score
I use a $25 Bluetooth earpiece and it works flawlessly. No way this is worth $150.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Not sure if the $149 price tag is right or not...might be a little high. But it's definitely on my wish list. I think it's pretty cool.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, like anything else the price will drop with time. Definitely on my wishlist too. The Motorola BT devices I've used in the past have performed really well so I'll be keeping an eye out for reviews on this one.

tap'n on my S5

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it probably works great, just very hard to believe the person can hear you with no mouthpiece.

Call quality is ultimately what really matters....if that's top-notch then the fact it's unobtrusive and might fit comfortably (and stay!) in the ear definitely makes it worth at least $100.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm sure it probably works great, just very hard to believe the person can hear you with no mouthpiece.

Call quality is ultimately what really matters....if that's top-notch then the fact it's unobtrusive and might fit comfortably (and stay!) in the ear definitely makes it worth at least $100.
Very true. My HX17, HX550 and Roadster all had or have excellent call quality (and comfort). If this one is the same I will probably buy it. Or...bug my wife to get it for me as a Christmas gift.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree that the $150 seems a bit steep, but what defines this device is that it has no buttons and allows you to use voice activated commands including Google Now. That might be worth a price premium, (although I'm not sure it should be quite such a high premium...)

As a sidenote, the Motorola event just shared that it can pair with any Bluetooth device, but some of its features will only work with the Moto phones.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I saw mention of this device this morning and it really seems cool. Agreed that the price tag is on the high side, at least for my wallet right now...but if it does all that it says, it may be worth it. I'm hoping it'd be very "backwards compatible" to the first Moto X at least...and also hope that any device policy doesn't hinder its use, like with the Skip (if an Exchange account on your device forces a PIN-lock, the Skip can't be used).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone who travels knows what a pain it can be lugging a fragile headset in your bag. I've busted two earpieces because they aren't meant to be carelessly tossed into a bag. This thing is small enough, and likely rugged enough, to avoid that.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Here's a short clip. Gotta say I'm really excited about this BT. I use mine all the time but take it out when I'm not using it (unless I'm in the car) just because I don't want to be one of "those guys" that walks around with it stuck in my ear all the time. LOL
It'll be SO nice to have one this inconspicuous.

tap'n on my S5

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Here's a short clip. Gotta say I'm really excited about this BT. I use mine all the time but take it out when I'm not using it (unless I'm in the car) just because I don't want to be one of "those guys" that walks around with it stuck in my ear all the time. LOL
It'll be SO nice to have one this inconspicuous.

tap'n on my S5

...and it goes well with that ZZTop beard you were flashing around. (rim shot) :)

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...

Reactions: cr6