Motorola's CEO Blames Apps for Reduced Battery Life; Claims Bur is a Solution

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sanjay-jha-nyse.jpg

During a technology conference today, the CEO of Motorola, Sanjay Jha, indicated that that badly designed 3rd party apps were the primary reason for poor battery life on smartphones, saying that they drain 30-40% of a phone's battery. He also blamed 3rd party apps for most of the returns of smartphones.

Mr. Jha also claimed that Motorola's UI Skin, Blur, is the best fix for this. He said, "MotoBlur allows us to know, with precision, what battery life you're seeing."

Here's a quote from the ThisIsMyNext.com article sharing Motorola's future plans.
Interestingly, though, Motorola actually plans to try to fix the problem through Blur: it’s been quietly using its platform customizations to collect stats on app usage and how different processes affect processor utilization and battery life. The eventual idea is to turn that crowdsourced knowledge into a database, warning users when they try to install or run a known offender — an app that has a reputation for turning phones into hot, slow, short-lived pieces of garbage.
It's interesting to see someone in the industry try to figure out a software solution to phone battery life problems. It's ironic though that Motorola claims that Blur could be a solution. Most people I know tend to perceive MotoBlur as just more "bloatware" that causes more of a problem than it solves. What do you guys think?

Source: Android.net via ThisIsMyNext.com

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
CEO fail.

Sounds like scapegoating. Low capacity batteries and the nature of Android is the problem behind battery life.

LT*

Reaction score
Not liking the sound of Blur deciding what I want on my phone for me. My D1 may just be my last Motorola device if this is the direction they are moving.

UNC

Reaction score
How can anyone bash Moto Mobility for this? They have the best batteries of all Android phones..... They are actually talking about flagging apps, which would cause the devs to rewrite their code to avoid being on the s#!t list, when they rewrite for better battery life ALL ANDROID USERS WIN. Of course he talked up Blur, but that is not the important part of what he said.

We all know android sucks for battery life. That's what happens when you run emulated code... It is up to the OEM's to DEMAND less power intensive apps...

Beardface

Reaction score
Blur is a fix for Battery Life problems, and 3rd Party apps are the reason for poor battery life?

Ummm... what? lol, if Blur would correct all my battery problems on the TBolt, I still wouldn't install it.

UNC

Reaction score
Blur is a fix for Battery Life problems, and 3rd Party apps are the reason for poor battery life?

Ummm... what? lol, if Blur would correct all my battery problems on the TBolt, I still wouldn't install it.

CANIAC!!!!!!!! Aren't you glad the Crapitals got whipped? If we can't win it I have fun cheering whoever plays them!!!

(Sorry bout he hijacked)

I do agree that Blur sucks, but Android battery life sucks worse... I'm just glad someone that is high on the Android pecking order admitted that its battery life sucks...

UNC

Reaction score

CANIAC!!!!!!!! Aren't you glad the Crapitals got whipped? If we can't win it I have fun cheering whoever plays them!!!

(Sorry bout he hijacked)

I do agree that Blur sucks, but Android battery life sucks worse... I'm just glad someone that is high on the Android pecking order admitted that its battery life sucks...

Lol, autocorrect.... Sorry bout the hijacking....

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
We all know android sucks for battery life. That's what happens when you run emulated code... It is up to the OEM's to DEMAND less power intensive apps...

GB can run code completely natively (just a bit of Android code like a front-end or a bridge to the screen, or however you'd say it), so I think this is a moot point going forward.

Beardface

Reaction score

(Sorry bout he hijacked)

Oh yes! Though, I would have rather the Flyers (my 2nd team... family from Philly) advanced a little farther than 4 wins... lol

And yes, Moto sucks. It is nice someone is addressing battery problems, but you can easily see if anything is killing your battery by going into 'Usage'. I got less than a day out of both the Droid and the TBolt, without any one app getting more than 10% drain. Its all about the data, and Verizon's 3G and 4G networks just drink battery life (Sprint's might be worse). If I were to turn data off, I could easily get a few days out of my TBolt, but with it on, its done within 16 hours.

I just don't get Sanjay's stance on this. Seems like he's barking up the wrong tree. They should be trying to focus on how to make the battery drain so fast while on data. This just screams of trying to pass the blame on something he knows can't be fixed.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just don't get Sanjay's stance on this. Seems like he's barking up the wrong tree. They should be trying to focus on how to make the battery drain so fast while on data. This just screams of trying to pass the blame on something he knows can't be fixed.

Put in a bigger stock battery. Or figure out how to get a second battery in there. I mean, look how tiny the D1 battery is, doesn't seem too hard to get a 2nd in there, especially if there's no physical keyboard.

I love how tablets have options while the phones are noticeably lacking - one choice of stock battery, one choice of SD card...and no optional keyboard like a few tablets have.

manhatton

Reaction score
After being loyal (and satisfied) w/a D1 and X, this trending attitude at Moto has me looking elsewhere for my next device. Most likely HTC, after their statement concerning never locking boot loaders again.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
After being loyal (and satisfied) w/a D1 and X, this trending attitude at Moto has me looking elsewhere for my next device. Most likely HTC, after their statement concerning never locking boot loaders again.

Seems fair. But then that Bionic just looks so beastly...

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
I dont know why people hate on the BLUR. I mean yeah its a bit bland but it isnt meant to be pretty either. Its there to make some things easier and I like it, its better than vanilla. I see it as .45 and 9mm, .45 is BLUR and the 9mm is the pansy ass Sense UI. Bad analogy i know but thats how i see it.

Chocula78

Reaction score
I think battery technology needs an upgrade. Since Li-ion and Li-poly batteries started going in phones, what great battery breakthroughs have there been?

Kenny Bats

Reaction score
I am so tired of someone else telling me what I can and can't do or should or shouldn't do. We are paying a premium for the devices and service. I'm thinking of jumping ship from Moto with my next device especially since HTC is opening bootloaders and Sense to the Devs. Hope Moto follows suit.:icon_evil:

The Droid is by far the best device I have owned...because it was stock Android. NO BLUR!