near-constant 'speech to text' errors/failures (especially in car)

liguy257

Reaction score
Can't figure out what the damn problem is, but it's pretty frustrating. Just about every time I've tried to use speech-to-text, I get an error message; either "could not connect" or "server unavailable" or something else. First, I don't understand what 'server unavailable' has to do with my phone recognizing speech, but aside from that, the problem mainly occurs when I'm in the car.

I have the radio off, and I'm normally doing it at light or stop sign so it's not like there's any road noise or anything... It prompts me, I speak, then it looks like it's working to translate, and eventually I'll just get an error. What's annoying is that the car is the main place I'd even need a feature like that. Not to send texts for no reason but stuff like trying to search on the map or look something up on google related to where I'm doing, whatever. If I'm at a light for 30 seconds I don't have time to type everything out.

Anyway, am I the only one with this problem? Is it a phone thing or a software thing? I'm gonna try "VLINGO" but I don't know if that's more for voice-activating commands as opposed to speech-to-text in a search field or something...

Speech Maven

Reaction score
The problem, in all likelihood, is not with the speech to text but with the coverage that your phone gets. The speech recognition is done on a server that sits 'in the cloud'. The phone transmits your words to the server. However, the network coverage, in many areas, allows for voice connection but fails for data connection. So that's why you are getting the 'server error'.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Yet another reason why I just simply text and be done with it.

I figure that's why they made airbags....allows me to text safely

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving.

joseserna08

Reaction score
I use vlingo and it's awesome. It makes mistakes sometimes, but not as usual as other voice apps. You can text, and update status if linked to Facebook or twitter.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

brando56894

Reaction score
I recently found out that STT accuracy increases a lot when you sign into google voice the first time, try it and see for yourself.