Need to hack phone for louder ringer volume

NoTechGeek

Reaction score
Can anybody give a novice some easy to follow advice on how I can hack my Droid 2 Global running 2.3.3 so I can increase the ringer volume. I'm a bit hard of hearing so I need more volume. I just loaded an old Bell phone ringer ringtone and it would be great if I could hear it.

Ray

Sheffy007

Reaction score
Can anybody give a novice some easy to follow advice on how I can hack my Droid 2 Global running 2.3.3 so I can increase the ringer volume. I'm a bit hard of hearing so I need more volume. I just loaded an old Bell phone ringer ringtone and it would be great if I could hear it.

Ray

Is your phone rooted?

Sent from my XT862 using DroidForums

OP
N

NoTechGeek

Reaction score
I'm sorry. As I said, I'm a novice at this hacking stuff. What does "rooted" mean? Please explain in simple terms.

Ray

Sheffy007

Reaction score
Oh I apologize. Well, an android phone is sort of like a computer. They have files, such as the operating system and other system files. The SD card on your phone is comparable to the hard drive on your computer, where all user data is saved. Being rooted gives you access to all the system data and directories on your phone. This pretty much gives you free reign to whatever you want to do in your phone. This includes raising the maximum volume on your phone, turning the brightness below the minimum value, and make the phone faster by changing the system or "flash" a custom rom. And Volume+ is only for root users.

fwaggle

Reaction score
I used a low-tech fix for my Droid X - I imported the mp3s I wanted to use for notifications/ringtones into Audacity, and increased the volume on them all until right before they clipped (or if it only clipped in one part, I increased everything after compressing just that one part). It worked pretty good on my X, and then when I swapped to the D2G I sometimes about jump out of my skin when I get an SMS. That's without anything like Volume+ etc too.

OP
N

NoTechGeek

Reaction score
Oh I apologize. Well, an android phone is sort of like a computer. They have files, such as the operating system and other system files. The SD card on your phone is comparable to the hard drive on your computer, where all user data is saved. Being rooted gives you access to all the system data and directories on your phone. This pretty much gives you free reign to whatever you want to do in your phone. This includes raising the maximum volume on your phone, turning the brightness below the minimum value, and make the phone faster by changing the system or "flash" a custom rom. And Volume+ is only for root users.

Ok, I'm getting smarter. So how do I know if my phone is "rooted" and if it is what do I do from there? How do I access this "root" and make the appropriate changes to my system. I installed a couple of apps, Volume+ and Volume Controller + but the ringtone volume is still the same. In a crowded noisy room, I can't here it ring. I am using a ring tone that sounds like an old fashioned Bell telephone.

Ray

Sheffy007

Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting smarter. So how do I know if my phone is "rooted" and if it is what do I do from there? How do I access this "root" and make the appropriate changes to my system. I installed a couple of apps, Volume+ and Volume Controller + but the ringtone volume is still the same. In a crowded noisy room, I can't here it ring. I am using a ring tone that sounds like an old fashioned Bell telephone.

Ray

If you don't know if you're rooted, you're not rooted. Volume+ will do what you want, but only if you're rooted, which you aren't. When I get home in a few minutes, I'll find a guide to root your phone. Once it is rooted, you will need to open Volume+ and when a prompt pops up that says that Volume+ would like to access superuser permissions, click "Allow". Then proceed to raise the volume in the app.

OP
N

NoTechGeek

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your patience and help. I will be awaiting your next post.

Ray

OP
N

NoTechGeek

Reaction score
Ok, I went to that site and downloaded the .zip file. After opening it I hooked my phone to my computer running Windows 7 and when the option came up to root my phone I said yes. Where do I go from there? I followed a link to the software writer's instructions but he talks of running scripts and so on. Can anyone give me some help on what to do next and how? I really want to learn all this stuff but it is a bit over my head right now.

Ray

Last edited:

Sheffy007

Reaction score
Ok, I went to that site and downloaded the .zip file. After opening it I hooked my phone to my computer running Windows 7 and when the option came up to root my phone I said yes. Where do I go from there? I followed a link to the software writer's instructions but he talks of running scripts and so on. Can anyone give me some help on what to do next and how? I really want to learn all this stuff but it is a bit over my head right now.

Ray

The best thing to do is relax. There's a great community here to help you if you get stuck. I should say before we continue, rooting can void your warranty. If somethings happens to your phone, I'm not responsible. (Common phrase used by almost everyone on every forum.)

Now to business: Did you install the drivers from step 2?

OP
N

NoTechGeek

Reaction score
Yes, I did install the drivers and it did recognize my phone. I did click on the window to "root your phone". After that it went through a couple of things and was going to reboot my phone but that's where it all stopped. I don't know if it completed or not. Sorry for being such a dunce.

Ray

OP
N

NoTechGeek

Reaction score
Update. I went back and re-did everything and it completed the entire process this time. I got a congratulations message and a warning about what I do from this point forward. So, now, we are back to my original question. How do I increase the ringtone volume? Thanks so much for all your help. I am learning but at my age it takes a bit longer.

Ray

Sheffy007

Reaction score
Glad it worked. Learning is always a good thing!

Go into speaker setting in volume+ and go to boost settings (I think...?). Then pick a number setting for how loud you want it.