Need WiFi tether but can't root

RichStevenson

Reaction score
The company I work for makes us use 'Good for Enterprise' for connecting to the Exchange email system. Problem is, with this app, they can check if your phone is rooted, and if it is disable the ability to receive company email. I need to enable WiFi tethering on the Bionic, but can't root because of this check. Do I have any other options? I was thinking about rooting, performing the hack for the stock tethering, and then unroot, but it sounds like VZW can determine if I'm tethering with the stock app? I saw an app called 'Fast Wi-Fi USB BT Tether" that suppose to allow it to work on a unrooted phone, but I'm unsure.

Just wanted to get other opinions for a solution.
Thanks,
Rich

jayman350

Reaction score
does your company pay for your cell phone? if so, and wifi tether is that critical, have them pony up the cash for the tethering plan. There are other options out there for tethering, but I'm pretty sure that a majority of them require root access, those that do not need root seem to be USB tethering.

I have only used the tethering apps that require root, so I can't speak as to how well any of the other options work.

cybric

Reaction score
I use the fox fi mobile hotspot app that was recommended in another thread here. Works great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pbickel

Reaction score
I use the fox fi mobile hotspot app that was recommended in another thread here. Works great.

+1 on fox fi it works amazing

blazenlo

Reaction score
Oh wow!! Just downloaded Foxfi. Works great! Thanks guys.dancedroid
Even though I have unlimited data. Would Verizon question the increase in data due to tethering?

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Oh wow!! Just downloaded Foxfi. Works great! Thanks guys.dancedroid
Even though I have unlimited data. Would Verizon question the increase in data due to tethering?

Absolutely they would. Do a gradual ramp up in your useage. They still can see your useage even if they are unable to see your tethering. One way would be to discontinue any use of wifi and go with 3g at all times first then gradually switch back to some wifi mixed with tethering. It's all about utilized band width.

blazenlo

Reaction score
Absolutely they would. Do a gradual ramp up in your useage. They still can see your useage even if they are unable to see your tethering. One way would be to discontinue any use of wifi and go with 3g at all times first then gradually switch back to some wifi mixed with tethering. It's all about utilized band width.

Thanks for the heads up!
Also, My wife's going to be ordering a lapdock..obviously our data is going to increase quite a bit as she will be using this instead of her dieing laptop. Wonder if Verizon is questioning people that purchase lapdocks? hmmm...

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Where do I find fox fi?

sent from my RAZR MAXX

pbickel

Reaction score
Where do I find fox fi?

sent from my RAZR MAXX

Its in the market just search foxfi no root required. It doesn't work on every phone though I'm pretty sure it will on the razr since its pretty much the same hardware as the bionic

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Found it.. but I had to Google foxfi to find it. I did a search in the market, and though it recognized the word, it wouldn't pull up the app in a search

sent from my RAZR MAXX

B

bens42608

This is AMAZING!!!!!! I DON'T KNOW HIS I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS ALREADY. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Im on 902 and was trying to figure how to go back and root just so I could do hotpot. Now im good and you're awesome

just jake

Reaction score
I tried the FoxFi but keep getting message that HTC will not let me activate due to an HTC hotspot lock. Is there a way to unlock? I only want to use the hotspot for our iPads when not in a Wi-Fi area. Any suggestions?