new liberty user... toolbox questions

born2golf

Reaction score
I've had my D2 rooted for nearly a year and kept avoiding running custom ROMs. my phone was basically slowed to a crawl and since I had to wipe all my data anyway to SBF I figured I would try out a ROM. Now I am so sorry I didn't do this sooner. My phone is so much better now. Thank you!

Now my questions..
1. I am running Liberty v0.8, if I wish to move to a more current build will I be starting fresh again? and need to reload all my apps and setup homescreens again each time?

2. I was a titanium backup user before, but it seems that the toolbox has the ability to backup and restore apps, as well as freeze them. Can I stop using titanium now and use this instead?

3. Related to the 2 previous questions, If installing a new ROM version results in a full wipe, will I be able to restore apps that were backed up by the toolbox backup tool in the previous build? what about homescreens? Is there way to just do a full restore? (I am using golauncher EX)

4. what if I choose a different ROM flavor entirely? I assume that the liberty toolbox backups are not supported by any other backup/restore tools? Would titanium be a better fit for that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can go to Liberty v.09 with only a cache and dalvik cache wipe. It will not erase your data. I would continue using Titanium Backup because the Toolbox has issues.

If you go to another ROM, you will have to wipe data and cache.

CM74DX

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Just clarify, If I backup an app using titanium that is installed in a liberty ROM, will I be able to use that backup file to restore the app to a different ROM such as cyanogenmod?

Also, what is the clockwork recovery backup for? is that a FULL system backup including the ROM image? whereas titanium is only a app-level backup? If so, would i be able to backup my whole phone using clockwork and then tinker with other ROMS and then if I find nothing I like better, just restore the with clockwork and get back to where I was in the first place?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Just clarify, If I backup an app using titanium that is installed in a liberty ROM, will I be able to use that backup file to restore the app to a different ROM such as cyanogenmod?

Also, what is the clockwork recovery backup for? is that a FULL system backup including the ROM image? whereas titanium is only a app-level backup? If so, would i be able to backup my whole phone using clockwork and then tinker with other ROMS and then if I find nothing I like better, just restore the with clockwork and get back to where I was in the first place?

Yes. I use Titanium Backup to restore apps to all ROMs. Just don't restore the data with the app or you could have issues.

Clockwork backup makes a full system backup of everything which is cool. Just don't try to flash a backup of a Froyo based ROM while you are on GB or a GB based ROM while you are on Froyo.

BTW, CM7 is amazing.

CM74DX

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I understand it all now.

Sorry for being naive, but what makes CM7 so great? compared to what I"m on?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I understand it all now.

Sorry for being naive, but what makes CM7 so great? compared to what I"m on?

Speed, customization and more. There are over 150 themes for CM7 and you can switch themes without flashing or rebooting. It is the fastest thing out there and I have tried em all.

There are tons of tweaks like volume button wake, long press the back button to kill an app, press and hold the camera button to play/pause music while the screen is off, change lockscreen slider and more.

Only drawback is the battery life.

If you don't want to sbf though, Apex is a good ROM too. You can flash that right over Liberty with a data wipe.

CM74DX

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed with what I got with Liberty. I haven't worked the battery too hard yet, but it seems to be better than stock already. I think I may just enjoy what I have for now.

xm0067

Reaction score
The battery life with ApeX seems a small bit better than Liberty, though with the right configuration (I am overclocked at ULV with profiles and all + low brightness) you can get 25-30 hours on either at medium/light usage

Sent from my Apex-ed Overclocked DROID 2