Newbie Guide to Rooting the Fascinate

toledospod

Reaction score
Phone now rooted :)

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but I've had my Samsung Fascinate for several months now, but never had the courage for rooting the phone LOL. I just wanted to say I followed the guide on page 1 and I can happily say my phone is now rooted. Everything went exactly the way the guide said it would. :) Thank you so much. I did notice though that my Anti-virus (Trend Micro) thought that the 'RageAgainstTheCage-arm5.bin' file had virus and it tried to remove it, so I turned off Trend Micro temporarily.

Now that I am rooted, can anyone offer advice as to what kind of things I can do with my Fascinate? I'm anxious to try new stuff and I'd like to get rid of all the Bing junk too (I recently reset my phone to factory settings before rooting it and Bing re-appeared, which is annoying). I got Google search on there as well, but Bing still shows up in the apps menu.

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
First, get rid of that anti-virus, its a useless battery waste.. next, find comrom v2.0 and install it, its a great debloated debinged rom....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

toledospod

Reaction score
First, get rid of that anti-virus, its a useless battery waste.. next, find comrom v2.0 and install it, its a great debloated debinged rom....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Sorry, I meant to say that Trend Micro was on my PC, not my phone (when I download the root.zip file and opened it, Trend Micro saw that file and didn't like it, but I turned off the anti-virus temporarily and then extracted all the files). I currently don't have anything like Trend Micro on my phone.

Thanks for the advise about Comrom!

broderp

Reaction score
So I read 28+ pages of this to find out I can not root my new I500 with this method.....:angry:

Also a lot of back and forth with two guys and a specific issue....:blink:

Is there an easy way to do this and allow me to simply remove bloat, and perhaps change the boot and shut down screens?

Don't get me wrong, its interesting reading, and I'm strugling to comprehend a lot of it... but how about adding what versions of the OS this method does or does not work for and maybe a PRO vs CON (Both on the first page). I think I read that roms are more dangerous, this method (OP's) allows for reset via the phones restore feature.....etc....

I'm building up the nerve to do this. :icon_ banana:

PackManMVP

Reaction score
Fascinate not holding ROOT

I've been trying to root my wife's fascinate and have attempted multiple methods. For the most part, the process seems complete "successfully" but root never seems to hold or actually be there.

Does the following mean anything to anyone?

** Successfully exploited, installing permanent root files and deleting temp files*

mount: Operation not permitted

/data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/xbin/su: permission denied
/data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/xbin/busybox: permission denied
/data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/app/Superuser.apk: permission denied

Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: Operation not permitted

Thanks!

kchen724

Reaction score
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]

So I went to the end of the process at last step by typing "adb install Superuser.apk", but I got this message: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]. I should mention that I already rooted my device before using your post but I accidentally upgraded the software that Verizon prompted me. So this is the second time I root my phone. Now what should I do? Thanks.

WARNING: DO NOT delete files from /system if you don't know what you're doing and you know how to recover your Fascinate.

Okay... so this guide is going to go through the same steps that are already out there but I'm going to put everything you need into a single guide so you don't have to hunt everywhere for them.... this is a Windows guide.

What you're going to need:

1. Setup ADB
2. Install drivers
3. Setup your Fascinate
4. Root your Fascinate

These links are just the next 3 posts...

As always, perform these steps at your own risk. Neither myself, FascinateForums.com or DroidForums.com can any responsibility for what may happen to your phone by following this guide.

Credit goes to Dirrk at xda for posting the guide I based this off of.
Rooted - xda-developers
Additional credit in his original thread.

petri180

Reaction score
Section 2.
Code:
 adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagains[/b]

i entered that code and got this for a response 
cannot open ' rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin' : no such file or directory

what should i do D'x i have been trying so hard to root this thing im getting tired of trying

petri180

Reaction score
nevermind found it was bitdeffender being an ass with how protective it xD i got my fascinate rooted now thank you so much

hasher86

Reaction score
root.zip file won't extract all files to C:\rootfiles

I am having an issue with the root.zip file. When I try and extract the files to C:\rootfiles, the only file that extracts is busybox. the remaining 3 files do not extract. Any thoughts?

droidusa

Reaction score
So after doing this how do you load roms and etc . I know how to do it on the og droid but the fascinate is throwing me for a loop

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Operafan71

Reaction score
Great tut

Thanks for posting this I've used in about 10 times in the last few days. I'm new to rooting and these instructions are easy to follow. What a relief it was to find this, especially after the countless methods that I tried and didn't work. Job well done and thanks for sharing your know-how with us.

Operafan71

william76

Reaction score
if anyone can help me i cant not get the right enviromental path set up so i can root my phone

broderp

Reaction score
This process seems overly complicated, does this work any better than Super One Click? :blink:

amitroutray

Reaction score
WARNING: DO NOT delete files from /system if you don't know what you're doing and you know how to recover your Fascinate.

Okay... so this guide is going to go through the same steps that are already out there but I'm going to put everything you need into a single guide so you don't have to hunt everywhere for them.... this is a Windows guide.

What you're going to need:

1. Setup ADB
2. Install drivers
3. Setup your Fascinate
4. Root your Fascinate

These links are just the next 3 posts...

As always, perform these steps at your own risk. Neither myself, FascinateForums.com or DroidForums.com can any responsibility for what may happen to your phone by following this guide.

Credit goes to Dirrk at xda for posting the guide I based this off of.
Rooted - xda-developers
Additional credit in his original thread.

hi mrdroid,
want some help from you.
its galaxy s i500 cdma verizon unlocked in india.
i found out from "about phone"
hardware version I500.04
model SCH-I500
Firmware version 2.1-update1
Baseband version S:i500.04 V.EA28
Kernel version 2.6.35.7
Build number SCH-I500.EA28

one thing before updating from android 2.1 to GB, want to know.
now i am using reliance cdma service on it.
want to know for this rooting is require.
when I ask my technician from whom I take the phone, he said the rooting process is not done.
if you want to update, update it but not do the rooting. rooting is change something in side of the phone settings,
if something happens he could not fix it. he said.

now suggest me what can i do now. go without rooting.
regards,
amit