Nexus 6P Review Compilation

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
huawei-nexus-6p-screenshot.jpg

Just as we shared a few minutes ago, we thought it would be handy to create a couple of Nexus review compilation articles. The first one was the Nexus 5X (which you can find here), and this compilation is for the Huawei Nexus 6P.

After checking out these reviews, it seems that the general opinion from the press is highly favorable for the Nexus 6P. In fact, the reviews were almost glowing. Reviewers loved the camera (although many lamented the lack of OIS), and they really enjoyed the dual front speakers (that was incidentally another lauded feature on the Nexus 5X).

The only real complaint regarding the Nexus 6P (and the Nexus 5X for that matter), was the lack of wireless charging, yet none of the reviewers thought that was a deal-breaker. Regardless of any complaints, most of the articles indicated that the Nexus 6P was the most "premium" Android Nexus device that has been released.

In the long run, it looks like the Nexus 6P is a capable and powerful flagship, and is a welcome addition to the phablet-sized smartphone market. Below is a smattering of review links for you to check out:
Also, don't forget to drop by our dedicated Nexus 6P section for further discussion: Nexus 6P by Huawei | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I noticed some specific complaints about the position of the fingerprint reader in the Ars review especially.

I just don't use my phone sitting on a desk or table often enough for that to be a concern of mine.

Now, if they'd hurry up & ship mine, I'd be grateful. ;)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Man, Note 5 is really holding its own in those benchmarks Arstechnica posted. Especially the disk read there is no contest, write is a closer battle. I noticed there was not an unencrypted test of the 6P, are they forcing encryption on that like they did the Nexus 6? (Checking other reviews it appears so)

I am starting to wonder if the pure Android experience and front facing speakers are worth losing all my QC 2.0 chargers, wireless charging, OIS, and a possible decrease in performance. I know benchmarks are just numbers but they could translate into real world differences.

DroidLife also said they still give the feel in the hand to the Note 5, with the Nexus 6P being a little harder to handle one handed. Not scared enough to cancel the pre-order, but am a bit worried the 6P won't full relinquish my want for the Note 5. This has been a fantastic phone. Plus if Samsung Pay get better card/bank support, I think it will be a better product.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I see people complaining about fingerprints on the back....really?? Who cares what the back looks like?

Are they complaining about fingerprints on the back, or the fact the fingerprint reader is on the back? I have seen the latter, not the former.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I read something yesterday that it's a fingerprint magnet. I can't imagine it's any worse than a phone with a glass back & I don't take care of the back has smudges from time to time. It's the screen I like to keep clean.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I noticed some specific complaints about the position of the fingerprint reader in the Ars review especially.

I just don't use my phone sitting on a desk or table often enough for that to be a concern of mine.

Now, if they'd hurry up & ship mine, I'd be grateful. ;)

I was worried about this when I first saw it. I can just add my bluetooth headphones, or even my MacBook as a trusted device, so I would jus have to pick it up and swipe up on the screen. Not too terrible.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I read something yesterday that it's a fingerprint magnet. I can't imagine it's any worse than a phone with a glass back & I don't take care of the back has smudges from time to time. It's the screen I like to keep clean.

I would probably get a dBrand skin on the 6P like I have on my Note 5 anyway, plus a case, fingerprints wouldn't matter. I'm with you, keeping that screen clean is the constant struggle.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Are they complaining about fingerprints on the back, or the fact the fingerprint reader is on the back? I have seen the latter, not the former.
Finger print magnet is what a few reviewers have posted. Not talking about Imprint or the location of the sensors. I wonder if they have grubby greasy fingers like they just ate a bucket of chicken and used the phone? I don't have that problem.

I don't care about clean screens. If I see something I just wipe it off. I don't wear white gloves while using my phones.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was surprised by the Engadget reviewer that said the power button is super sensitive. That's the only review I've seen mention it at all. Wondering if he got a bum device, though he said he asked others and got mixed answers. I guess it could be that they're all sensitive, but most are using the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone instead, though Engadget said he'd accidentally shut the screen off while in the middle of doing things...at least twice a day...and that was enough to mention it in at least 3-4 different parts of the review. Get over it bud. You're holding it wrong. :p

I would probably get a dBrand skin on the 6P like I have on my Note 5 anyway, plus a case, fingerprints wouldn't matter. I'm with you, keeping that screen clean is the constant struggle.
I ordered the aluminum 6P after years of getting the black or dark version of every phone, so I kinda wanna show it off. I was thinking about a skin. Ordered a clear Spigen case in the meantime.

I'm not real worried about fingerprints anywhere. I'm with Mustang. If I notice it smudged, I'll wipe it off with my shirt. Other than that, we're good to go.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I haven't seen many comments about the glass covering the camera. I wonder if that can/may get smudgy(that even a word?).

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I was thinking about a skin. Ordered a clear Spigen case in the meantime.

I didn't realize Spigen finally released one, I was worried about that. Will order me one of those clear ones too.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I can see the fingerprint complaint on back for some like Co workers don't like to pick up phone on desk.. I leave it trusted but some don't like that way.. But you know that before you buy it..
Encryption will be standard across is what I'm reading Google wants it going forward..
Verge gave good review considering iPhone preference I've seen from them..

S6E+ tapatalk