Night Time Phone Users Experiencing Blindness!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Everyone does it.. right? I work several jobs and when I finish up my last projects for the day I always end up spending some time watching some Netflix on my tablet,or reading some articles, or catching up on my twitter feed for the day on my phone. Needless to say I have never experienced blindness after enjoying this before bedtime activity. As you can imagine I was pretty alarmed to hear what some users were reporting after using their devices in bed.

The women in the article reported temporary 15 minute blindness after constantly checking their phones in the dark. This is a known condition called transient blindness. It happens when you are laying on your side, one eye is covered, and the other eye is used to look at a bright object. The eye that is covered adjust to the darkness while the other eye adjusts to the light. When you immediately try to use both eyes neither eye is able to properly adjust. This causes temporary blindness.

It would be pretty rare that anyone would actually experience this since you have to kind of be in an uncomfortable position to make it happen. The moral of the story is use both eyes when using your smart device in bed.

Any other night time device addicts here? Have you ever experienced Transient Blindness?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Nope. Phone goes to sleep around 10pm. Nothing is that important I can't wait until tomorrow to get it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Nope, I use the Twilight app. It turns on automatically at 9pm and turns off at 3am.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dark themes help with it . Amoled is much easier on the eyes at night vs LCD as well. From the photo in the op that guy looks like he's got a white background with his brightness set pretty high. That in and of itself will mess of the vision for a bit.
I do a lot of reading at night in the dark and use a Kindle Paperwhite set to about 1/3 brightness. During the day a Kindle doesn't need any lighting, the lower brightness knocks the edge off of being hard to see in low light and isn't "shiny" in total dark. The lack of a backlight is much easier on the eyes as well.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This has nothing to do with phones. I do the same thing when i go to the fridge in the middle of the night. My left eye handles the bright light of the fridge better than my right so I only open the one. Then bam, I have the same thing.

You want actual temporary blindness, I get these from time to time Ocular Migraines: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment Mine affects both eyes and I basically can't see anything for 30 minutes to an hour. They don't hurt but were weird as hell when I first started getting them. I usually get one per month. Doctor says its not a bad thing and I'm lucky because it could just as easily be a normal migraine which is quite painful.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Nope, I use the Twilight app. It turns on automatically at 9pm and turns off at 3am.

S5 tap'n
I'll have to look this up for my Tablets...
Is there one in particular you're using?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll have to look this up for my Tablets...
Is there one in particular you're using?
It's called Twilight. Great app. I turned my wife onto it after I discovered it here. Doesn't work on my Remix tablet for some reason, but it's handy on other phones and tablets.

I use Play Books' nighttime reading mode personally. Other than that, my phone gets set to so dim I can bare see it at night.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Got it, now on the S6.
Is there a certain setting you use for level of light / color temp ?

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Is there a certain setting you use for level of light / color temp ?

Mine is set up with a color temp of 2094k relaxing, Intensity 47%, and Screen Dim 28%. You'll have to tweak it to your liking as Jonny mentioned.
The free version works great "as is", but after using it for about a year, I ended up purchasing the Pro version to support the developer. It provides a few additional features, as well as the ability to control the smart bulbs in your home, if you use those.
Good luck & enjoy!

S5 tap'n