no good battery life in CM7 build 6

ralbusta

Reaction score
I was also seeing some crazy battery drain as well on every build. What I finally figured out was that for me it was the Twitter widget. In the stats Twitter used more battery than the display.

I've canned the Twitter widget for Tweetcaster, and I'm on build 11 with Juice defender now and couldn't be happier. Huge improvement.

That's not the issue for me. Just checked the battery stats, and Display was on top, then Android System. I have a twitter widget, but I use the official Twitter app, not Tweetcaster or any other 3rd party Twitter app.

The official Twitter app was the one killing my battery. Tweetcaster has provided me the improvement.

I didn't see Twitter show up in the stats until I turned off autosyncing for both Facebook and Twitter, FYI.

havens1515

Reaction score
OK, well I just got rid of my FB and Twitter widgets, and stopped sync on both. I'll let ya know if it helps.

Cstryon

Reaction score
I don't use facebook or twitter, so I don't know that those are the main problem.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
magma_camel

magma_camel

Reaction score
my issue is odd it drains battery when i dont even use the phone.

wifi is off screen is off nothing is syncing. when i go into system>about>battery usage: it shows that the phone is "awake" all the time

why does it say that. it makes no sense

also it shows the cell standby as SUPER high usage

im wondering if there is an app that will turn off the radio when its lost signal then check for signal every 15 minutes or so.

juice defender does not do that so dont tell me to use it all that does it turn it off then turn it on every 15 minutes i want it to automaticly turn it off if i LOOSE signal if i have signal i wouldent want it to turn it off

edit: I also have the interactiveX gov running (im still testing with it) it helps battery a little but i think its more of a radio issue and an issue with the phone not sleeping correctly so the phone is always active even when its not

Last edited:

KingLo

Reaction score
My battery drain decreased SIGNIFICANTLY when I started turning data off when I wasn't using it.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
my issue is odd it drains battery when i dont even use the phone.

wifi is off screen is off nothing is syncing. when i go into system>about>battery usage: it shows that the phone is "awake" all the time

why does it say that. it makes no sense

Where do you see anything about the phone being "awake all the time" in Settings>About>Battery Use? Not sure what you mean...

also it shows the cell standby as SUPER high usage

What % is your cell standby? I show 40% display, 14% Cell Standby, 9% phone idle, 7% email, 5% media server, etc...

Maybe try an old trick we used to use w/CM ROMs back when I had my D1. Turn Airplane mode on, then off again...that used to fix issues w/CM ROMs from back when I had my D1 and cell standby was showing up with a high percentage...

im wondering if there is an app that will turn off the radio when its lost signal then check for signal every 15 minutes or so.

juice defender does not do that so dont tell me to use it all that does it turn it off then turn it on every 15 minutes i want it to automaticly turn it off if i LOOSE signal if i have signal i wouldent want it to turn it off

edit: I also have the interactiveX gov running (im still testing with it) it helps battery a little but i think its more of a radio issue and an issue with the phone not sleeping correctly so the phone is always active even when its not

Juice Defender does have an option to disable the radio ("Tablet Mode (disable cell radio") in the Controls section, but I believe it's only available w/the Juice Ultimate add on. That would mean you would get no phone calls or texts, of course, while it's off. It is an experimental feature...

Bear in mind that this is a new ROM, and it's could be a while before various issues are identified, root-caused and resolved. If you are using your phone for critical work/personal tasks and can't access a charge source to top up your battery this might not be the right ROM for you right now given your results...

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score
My battery drain decreased SIGNIFICANTLY when I started turning data off when I wasn't using it.

Using Juice Defender, or ?
No Im using Power Control Widget. Never bothered with task managers.

Juice Defender is not a task manager. It turns off your data when your screen is off - with a couple of exceptions. If data is currently being used (an active download/upload,) it waits until it's done before shutting it off. Then once it is off, it turns data back on for an interval (1 minute or so) every 15 minutes. I think both of those intervals can be set by the user, but I don't remember, it's been a while since I've used it.

I use tasker now to do basically the same thing that Juice Defender does.

cydetrakd

Reaction score
CM on the D2/DX is very, very new...there were plenty of issues w/CM on the D1 when it was first getting support. Give it a little breathing space. :)

I'll take cm7 over any rom on any phone so new for our phones it might be but i am happier with my d2 now than i have ever been with it running build 11 no probs. had a little issue on build 8 when i changed my notification back to the droid.ogg file it repeated "droid droid droid droid droid" like a total of 9 times after a voicemail or text but it was only that build. Other than that Cm7d2 has been very stable and my battery life is twice as long as it was on lb gb sometimes weeklies for the last few builds.

How are you getting such awesome battery life?! I'm on 10 right now, about to flash 11. Maybe it's time to do a full wipe again....it has been a few builds.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

To be honest i just wipe data and cache between every few releases and its been good to me for the last few nightlies. I do have my wifi only when i need it. My brightness is not quite at max at the same. But for reference yesterday i put my phone through some daily heavy usage and after close to 9 hrs i was down to 40%. The main killers of my battery as always with any rom were the display and voice calls.

On Lb Gb .8 i would be down to 40% after my 5 hour workday with the same usage. I guess without all the hidden blur it helps my battery out greatly only negative so far with cm7d2 is i can't get Age of ZOmbies to work.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
An update on some work related to battery life:

[DEV_THREAD] CyanogenMod 7 (BASED) port for Droid 2 based of cvpcs cm4dx - Page 196

Milky is looking for someone familiar with APK programming to help out a bit...

Milky said:
Yes, I think I have found a way to lower the impact of this bug. RyanZA acually posted a quite complicated method how to change the wifi when screen off timeout using adb and sqlite. It is about a 20 step process. Way too involved for me... I made a shell script that does it right on the phone.

At this point I have 3 options...

Share the .sh I made that does the job with a few willing alpha testers then just post it. Although it isn't as clean as I would like... too much risk for entering invalid values and possibly pissing off the phone.

Have someone familiar with making apks for rooted phones hit me up on gtalk to save me hours and hours of researching... I'd consider this the better option. (App is already laid out, the xml coding is where I don't have the experience... and could use help to save time)

But the best option is having the changes implemented into cm7 so all hardware can benefit. I think it would be awesome to have a setting right in the cyanogenmod settings to enable custom wifi timeouts, then set that number at will.

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
That is great. I did take your advice and DL juicedefender. It helped me squeeze out a couple more hours of normal use. I ended up with about 15% left after 16 hours of use.

havens1515

Reaction score
Update on my end... yesterday afternoon I removed the Facebook and Twitter widgets from my homescreen, and stopped both of them from syncing... I had about about 40% battery when I did that yesterday (which was just after lunch) and today at around the same time, I have 75% battery. That is a HUGE difference. I have not charged my phone at all today, and have 35% more battery than I did yesterday at the same time. One of the two of them (or both) was definitely a huge drain for me! I haven't had 75% battery after lunch in a long time.

cydetrakd

Reaction score
i just thought of another tip that might help since i just had to reboot since its been a day or two since i last did. I use the Droid Overclock app to use the ultra low scaling frequency at 1000mhz which is at stock speed. I'm assuming the ultra low might help out some with the battery life also. i should've edited my post but figured it was addon to it.

ralbusta

Reaction score
Update on my end... yesterday afternoon I removed the Facebook and Twitter widgets from my homescreen, and stopped both of them from syncing... I had about about 40% battery when I did that yesterday (which was just after lunch) and today at around the same time, I have 75% battery. That is a HUGE difference. I have not charged my phone at all today, and have 35% more battery than I did yesterday at the same time. One of the two of them (or both) was definitely a huge drain for me! I haven't had 75% battery after lunch in a long time.

That was my story exactly. Like I said, after testing, I figured out it was the official Twitter widget/app that was killing my battery. I now have the official Facebook widget and tweetcaster widget on my homescreen with Juicedefender controlling syncing, and can last all day with normal use.

Glad you were able to get an improvment!