No LG-Made Nexus Device in 2016

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus-Logo-playground-open.jpg

LG will be taking a pass on making a Nexus device this year. According to a report from CNET, an LG executive confirmed at Mobile World Congress that "LG needs to focus on its own brand." Supposedly, LG is "totally happy" with the work it did on the previous Nexus phones as well as their relationship with Google. He further added that the G5 project requires a great deal of resources that will be better spent on its own phones.

This has not been confirmed by Google when reached for comment, and LG has yet to publicly confirm it either, yet we would not be surprised if it turns out to be true. The question remains, "Who will be making Nexus devices in 2016?"

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Honestly, as well as they're doing with the G-series devices, they don't need to make a Nexus device. Finally, LG is about quality, not quantity.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think Samsung needs another shot. I know they screwed up royally on their first attempt, but Sammy is known for learning from their mistakes and I think they could really make an awesome Nexus if given another shot.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd be down for a Samsung Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Either Samsung or Moto I'd go for. Perhaps OIS, MicroSD, and water IP68 and call it a day?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry @PereDroid.....we need a manufacturer that's actually relevant in today's market. Nexus devices don't sell all that well to begin with, Asus or HTC.....ummmm, no. LOL!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry @PereDroid.....we need a manufacturer that's actually relevant in today's market. Nexus devices don't sell all that well to begin with, Asus or HTC.....ummmm, no. LOL!
Idk. Huawei wasn't very well known in the US last year and their Nexus is on point.

I might be willing to check out a Sammy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus, for it's issues, is actually what sent me on a Samsung kick. I had the S4 and the Note 4 after that. While they learn from their mistakes pretty well, I'm not sure they're interested in relinquishing as much control as would be required to build a Nexus.

Moto just had the 6.

I actually think I'd like to see what one of these lesser known OEMs can do with the Nexus line under Google's wing. Like I said, Huawei didn't disappoint by any means.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think relevance does matter. If ASUS & HTC smartphones don't sell very well to begin with, why would they invest their time and money into putting out a Nexus device in which the "average consumer" isn't interested in purchasing anyway?

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Nexus line isn't the most well known string of devices anyway. So I don't think it matters who makes it if Google doesn't advertise it. There was once a time when Samsung wasn't the biggest name in Android and they started making pretty decent devices and actually marketing them. It just takes a complete package and some marketing to turn things around.

I mean you can say it's too late for a company like HTC, but again Android use to be a laughing stock compared to the iPhone and look how far its come. You just have to start competing and things could turn around. HTC hasn't been competing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
The Nexus line isn't the most well known string of devices anyway.

Exactly. I think relevance would ONLY matter to the people that the Nexus is NOT marketed to. aka NOT US. ;)
The enthusiast set...y'know US... we know HTC and Asus and Huwaei can make great stuff. WE wouldn't care who made it as long as it's awesome.
The unwashed huddled masses:
"Who is Asus? How do you even say that? HTC still makes stuff?"
;)