Notice to potential buyers: $700 is a lot of money

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
stephen-colbert-mic-drop-gif.gif

Is this mic on?​

SLOW DOWN

The problem to me seems like everyone wants to crowd the line to be first instead of actually wait and see what they are buying. We are frustrated we cant get a pre-order, frustrated the delivery date is longer than expected, frustrated we missed the ups/fedex man/woman, frustrated the phone did not perform like we envisioned. I think people need to just slow down a bit. Who goes out and buy a 55+ flat screen online without at least going to the store to get an idea what they are buying, yet these smart phones cost as much, if not more in some cases, than flat screen tvs and yet people immediately jump on and pre-order without a clue what they are buying. Unless you really take the time to do some research, hold a demo...or at least a case to get an idea how big the device will be, or actually use it you will not get an idea what you are buying. Like @bkdodger and many have pointed, you can not take one review as gospel whether good or bad. Unless you KNOW what you are getting into slow down and wait for demos, which T-mobile will have next week. Please we are trying to save you time, money, and heartache as I, and many, have been there done that and regret every bit of it. Plus you have to understand that we all are not the same and to be honest unless you really care about an unlocked bootloader or you are not sure you will be locked to the same carrier for 2 years the nexus 6 may not appeal to you. Based on some of the reviews that are out it does not lead in any category and nexus phones never had. The nexus 6 is meant to provide a nexus whose specs across the board is on par with high end devices on the market meaning it will have a decent camera but not the best, decent battery life, and etc.
Droidforums will be getting a review unit and will do a review as well (Nexus 6 Question Answer Session Ideas Android Forum at DroidForums.net but even after the reviews do yourself a favor and take the time to look at what you are about to spend 650+ on.

If you are one on the fence take the time to not only look at the nexus 6 but also some of the other devices on the market. Those on Verizon wanting a phone with great battery life check out our Droid Turbo Forum where you can get the reaction from everyday users with the device in hand. We also have other dedicated sections that cover a variety of devices from Galaxy phones, to Sony, HTC, LG, and more. Take the time to review and make an informed decision on your investment. Remember it does not matter what we think it matters what you think because you are the one paying with it and stuck using it for the next few years.

I'm considering dropping $1000 on the Note 4 Edge. Assuming the rumors of the pricings are true. Did the same with the i6 Plus.

That's just so much for a phone, IMO. I hated spending $400 on my laptop, much less, $1000 on a phone.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Not a lot of money where I come from. All flagship phone are 6-1000 $$$

I know I'm certainly waiting on getting one. Even if just to get my hands on it and to see if the storage/encryption issues are resolved via OTA at some point. Until then I'm very happy with my 2014 Moto X.

Why am I getting it?

It's my THING.

I don't gamble. I'm not a slave to fashion. I don't bar/club hop any more. I don't do strip clubs. I don't do stadiums. I don't collect "things". I rarely do movies.

I travel with or for my family. I Work. And that's about it. My hobbies to decompress are my car and gadgets. Some guys gamble, collect stuff, make models, fish, do woodwork, etc. I treat myself, AT MOST, to about $3k-$4k worth of car parts or general gadgets per year. It comes out to the same amount as some people spend on traditional hobbies.

My wife once grilled me about my tech spending and mentioned that most guys don't do that. I reminded her that her brother spent $5k just for his fantasy football league alone. I said I could find another hobby, like gambling if she wanted me to. She hasn't said a word in the past 4 years.

I think were all here for our love of technology and if we can afford it I say do it. There's worse junk that people spend their money on.

Bravo on that ^^ post above!

That's just so much for a phone, IMO. I hated spending $400 on my laptop, much less, $1000 on a phone.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2
I spent a small fortune for my laptop, has about 10 hours of screen time. And two nasty scrapes in the aluminum cover from inserting it into it's protective bag. Irked to say the least. Not the $, the scratches.

We must...We must...increase our boost

I spent a small fortune for my laptop, has about 10 hours of screen time. And two nasty scrapes in the aluminum cover from inserting it into it's protective bag. Irked to say the least. Not the $, the scratches.

Ouch... Like the first ding or scratch on the new car, just want to cry.

I slept in a park once because I didn't have anywhere to live. It was shortly after I immigrated.

That day changed my life and really opened up my eyes to realities most people don't give a second thought to.

Flash forward to today and I make a great living. I save a lot of money with two retirement accounts and can still afford whatever I want without considering prices.

Like Dusty, I don't spend much money on hobbies other than technology. Pound for pound, penny for penny it gives me the most entertainment value than any other options available.

The family and I have entertainment nights that include movies, go cart racing, bowling, etc and we have fun doing those things. Once they are done though the money is gone and you are left with some great photos.

Then we all return home and continue to use $1000 laptops, $2500 televisions, $500 gaming consoles and such.

It's an investment that is returned to time and time again when the consumable distractions are over.

It's all about priorities which we all end up juggling at the end of the day. Thankfully I can do mine with a roof over my head and not outside at the park.

Ouch... Like the first ding or scratch on the new car, just want to cry.
Brand new targus bag, with exposed rivets on the inside. Should've ranted. Ooh well.

I slept in a park once because I didn't have anywhere to live. It was shortly after I immigrated.

That day changed my life and really opened up my eyes to realities most people don't give a second thought to.

Flash forward to today and I make a great living. I save a lot of money with two retirement accounts and can still afford whatever I want without considering prices.

Like Dusty, I don't spend much money on hobbies other than technology. Pound for pound, penny for penny it gives me the most entertainment value than any other options available.

The family and I have entertainment nights that include movies, go cart racing, bowling, etc and we have fun doing those things. Once they are done though the money is gone and you are left with some great photos.

Then we all return home and continue to use $1000 laptops, $2500 televisions, $500 gaming consoles and such.

It's an investment that is returned to time and time again when the consumable distractions are over.

It's all about priorities which we all end up juggling at the end of the day. Thankfully I can do mine with a roof over my head and not outside at the park.
Being self-employed, experienced top Ramon days and let's see how fast I can pay off a 18k Rolex Daytona in pocket change. 9 weeks if your curious. Dad always taught me pay down your life, don't finance your life. No bills here, also not much income lately. *burp* that was a steak burp.

Ollie, being at both ends of the spectrum enriches your/our values. I grew up rich/poor as a kid. I do like the blessed life better. When it happens.

I agree. If I were less fortunate at the moment I would be buying a much cheaper phone and keeping it a lot longer.

$700 is not chump change. It just depends on how you go about justifying it.

Not a lot of money where I come from. All flagship phone are 6-1000 $$$
Well they are here as well just hidden in carrier contracts.

I am not telling people not to buy a phone at that cost. The iPhone 6+ is almost 1000 and if you are an iPhone person it is worth it. I personally knew after buying my note 2 that I would upgrade so I set aside payments to myself for two years until it was time to buy as I intended in buying a phone off contact. I personally like the idea if I buy my phone and the carrier provide the service. Because that mean I own my phone so I do not have to beg the carrier to unlock my phone for me or get their permission. I pay my monthly service fee and if for some reason I want to give another carrier a try I am free to pop their Sim in. I also believe you do what you want with your money not telling people what and what not to buy. I personally like to research, look, touch, and/or get as much information about a product I am going to spend more than $100 but I am frugal. So I may be weird in comparison. About time I go to buy a product I know everything I can about it. And if I see an issue that I do not want to deal with I will either wait until the issue is fixed or go another route. But that was after the thunderbolt and galaxy nexus.

Back