Official Ice Cream Sandwich For The Droid RAZR Leaked then pulled!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Razrics-168x300.png

The big news was that Verizon would finally be pushing the ICS updates for The Rezound, Razr, and RazrMaxx! The Rezound update was plausible seeing as the date leaked is right in line with their projections. However lots of folks were calling bull with the leak of the Motorola dates seeing as their projected ICS dates were not expected until the third quarter. Last night Motorola sent out an email asking for Razr users to take part in testing for a new update "soak tests". This could only mean one thing. The leaked dates for the ICS updates on those devices were correct. Of course shortly after the news of that email got out some users began to receive this update and a mod at DroidRzr.com leaked out an ICS build for the Droid Razr "6.14.75.XT912". Pretty quickly it was discovered that the normal flashing methods were not working, and the file was pulled. Even though the file was pulled there were a few successful installs of the leak. The leak included a new webtop, a new ICS ui, new radios, and new system version 4.0.3!

It looks like Razr users will be receiving that ICS update soon afterall!

Via DroidRZR.com

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where's the Bionic build? Total BS, IMHO; if the Bionic does not see this at the same time.

blackjaguar25

Reaction score
Where's the Bionic build? Total BS, IMHO; if the Bionic does not see this at the same time.

Should the thunderbolt get ICS at the same time as the Rezound? Nope. I don't expect it to. I'm sick of people complaining about the bionic.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should the thunderbolt get ICS at the same time as the Rezound? Nope. I don't expect it to. I'm sick of people complaining about the bionic.

Thunderbolt has absolutely nothing in common with the Rezound hardware-wise. The Bionic is almost identical to the Razr internally. The issue is that if Moto/VZW do not have a Bionic build ready at the same time as the Razr, it means they are artificially holding back on the Bionic update. And to be honest, I couldn't care less what you are sick of. This is going to become a real issue in the near future when apps are written specifically to take advantage of the Android 4.0 SDK. These apps will not run at all on the Bionic until it gets ICS. It's not just a random complaint about the device.

I have absolutely no issues with the device. It's Motorola that I have issues with, they can never stick to a timely update schedule, and their updates seem to come out at random.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thunderbolt has absolutely nothing in common with the Rezound hardware-wise. The Bionic is almost identical to the Razr internally. The issue is that if Moto/VZW do not have a Bionic build ready at the same time as the Razr, it means they are artificially holding back on the Bionic update. And to be honest, I couldn't care less what you are sick of. This is going to become a real issue in the near future when apps are written specifically to take advantage of the Android 4.0 SDK. These apps will not run at all on the Bionic until it gets ICS. It's not just a random complaint about the device.

I have absolutely no issues with the device. It's Motorola that I have issues with, they can never stick to a timely update schedule, and their updates seem to come out at random.

... I highly doubt that apps will be written to exclusively run on ics anytime soon, there are many phones that still have gingerbread and will have gingerbread for a long time... I wouldn't expect most popular apps to run exclusively on ics or higher for like 2 years at least

blackjaguar25

Reaction score
... I highly doubt that apps will be written to exclusively run on ics anytime soon, there are many phones that still have gingerbread and will have gingerbread for a long time... I wouldn't expect most popular apps to run exclusively on ics or higher for like 2 years at least

Well you're sick of Motorola so I can be sick of the complaining bionic owners :)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

There's already one major app that is ICS only that I would like to try, but cannot. Google Chrome Beta uses the new hardware acceleration features built into the ICS GUI and will not render webpages at all on earlier devices. As hardware acceleration is a major player in the smoothness of non-OpenGL apps, devs are going to want to hop on board sooner rather than later. In the end, it is important that the Bionic get ICS because it is still a top-shelf device. It is also a dual-core device, and ICS is needed to take full advantage of the multiple core CPU. Until we see ICS, we don't even have an OS capable of taking full advantage of the expensive hardware that we paid for.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well you're sick of Motorola so I can be sick of the complaining bionic owners :)

Some complaints are more valid than others, though. I am an old-skool Android dev from the OG Droid days, and I think with a developer's mindset. When you see how easily the AOKP and CM9 builds were ported between devices by a guy sitting at his PC in his spare time; and with a mismatched kernel no less, and you will understand my frustration at a company as large as Motorola with a full developer team. Between p3droid and myself, it took us literally days to come up with a custom kernel for the OG Droid with overclocking, tethering, and temp monitoring back in the Android 2.0.1 days. This was 2 dudes a couple of thousand miles apart, with very limited C++ and Linux experience; teaching ourselves how to modify code and get everything working; and collaborating via PM.

Alot of Bionic complaints are due to user error or network issues. The holding back of a software update, well, that can only be blamed on Motorola and Verizon.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's already one major app that is ICS only that I would like to try, but cannot. Google Chrome Beta uses the new hardware acceleration features built into the ICS GUI and will not render webpages at all on earlier devices. As hardware acceleration is a major player in the smoothness of non-OpenGL apps, devs are going to want to hop on board sooner rather than later. In the end, it is important that the Bionic get ICS because it is still a top-shelf device. It is also a dual-core device, and ICS is needed to take full advantage of the multiple core CPU. Until we see ICS, we don't even have an OS capable of taking full advantage of the expensive hardware that we paid for.

Somewhat true, i believe most apps will have ics versions that take advantage of the hardware acceleration but they will also probably have a gingerbread version as well, and yeah ics does add in better support for dual core, but im sure the bionic will get an update soon enough, there are some differences between the razr and bionic im sure

also prepare to be disappointed with the google chrome beta, it should be more like google chrome alpha with all the major bugs/issues it has currently, i havent heard much of anything good besides "it has potential"

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Somewhat true, i believe most apps will have ics versions that take advantage of the hardware acceleration but they will also probably have a gingerbread version as well, and yeah ics does add in better support for dual core, but im sure the bionic will get an update soon enough, there are some differences between the razr and bionic im sure

also prepare to be disappointed with the google chrome beta, it should be more like google chrome alpha with all the major bugs/issues it has currently, i havent heard much of anything good besides "it has potential"

I know the Razr is clocked 200MHz higher, but if the code in the kernel is written the same way as it was on the OG Droid; there are just a few lines of code that need to be adjusted to change the clock speed range in 3 or 4 different files. Other than that, the differences would be a different LCD panel, battery, and perhaps a different revision of the LTE chipset. Shouldn't be anything huge, though. The Bionic, Razr, and Razr Maxx devices are actually from the same hardware lineup, if you will. Sort of the way HP sells the same basic PC in several different chassis configurations.

The funny thing is, the XT875 was never supposed to be the Bionic, that name was supposed to go to the XT865 "Etna" device which was supposed to be released months prior to the XT875, but was scrapped. The XT875 codename is "Targa", I believe it was originally intended to be part of the Droid X family (based on overall shape, it could have been the Droid X3). But Motorola and/or Verizon made the decision to recycle the Bionic name, thus leading to a misconception that the Bionic was a has-been device that was released 6 months late.

As for Chrome being buggy? Well, I guess i'm not missing anything, then.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
anybody notice the pic showed 3g and not 4 in the right hand corner?

Maybe a non-LTE area, or indoors using a range booster (which typically don't support 4G). Doesn't necessarily mean anything about the OS's data functionality.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It's nice to see ICS updates coming out quicker then GB was.