Only 16GB and No Micro SD a dealbreaker?

StinkyPete

Reaction score
As a current Thunderbolt owner who is desperate for an upgrade, my only concern is the 16GB and the lack of a Micro SD.

Unrooted, the usable space is somewhere north of 11GB after all is said and done. I can probably do some paring down of my apps that I don't use regularly and don't see myself downloading full HD movies, but photos and songs may become an issue a year or so from now.

If this thing had 32GB or a Micro SD slot, I would have pre-ordered already.

Anyone else hesitant?

Didn't realize the DNA only had 16gb total memory. I have 96gb total with my S3. 11gb and metered data would be tough.

ya thats not a plus as far as memory room to store stuff on, but so far im loving the phone, works great, no issues everything seems to be good on it thus far. In photo gallery it seems to be set up already for people to upload most their pics to servers like picasa and other stuff. I guess they are pushing for a more cloud based storage system. Again i dont see why the DNA doesnt have a micro sd but the HTC j butterfly which is the japan version of this phone does have a micro sd which is due to release in japan.

The problem with cloud storage is that it forces you to use WiFi/data, which would not work well for those with limited data. Myself, I need the expandable storage. 16gb is not nearly enough. I don't know what htc was thinking. I wonder if they were encouraged by Verizon to limit storage to force more cloud/data usage?

Like the Razr, sales skyrocketed when they decided to tweak it to add a Razr Maxx with a bigger battery. Maybe htc will decide to do the same...add a DNA Maxx to their line with expandable storage and they can add a bigger battery while they're at it (although bigger battery is not as necessary).

I thought this would be a major downside as well, but when I went on my phone I was only using 847MB for apps (all my apps are on the device, not on the MicroSD card), and 3.6GB out of 64GB on my card. All in all I'm only using ~4.5GB, and that includes about 500 camera pictures, 20 camera videos, and another 500+ photos from my old cameras that I keep in a separate folder on my card. 11GB usable will definitely get me by for 2 years, especially since I have 56GB of Dropbox storage.

For me, the combination of the low amount of storage with no expandable option and the non-removable battery is a dealbreaker. If this had both of those, I would seriously consider cancelling my Note 2 pre-order. Based on all of the early reviews, this really looks like an awesome device. I love the look of it, and the specs are top-notch. I just need a lot more storage (cloud storage does nothing for me when I'm out of the country as I am quite often). At present, I have about 50MB free on my S3's internal memory and 72MB free on my 64GB microSD card. I also need the ability to switch batteries on the go (because I'm often not around an outlet for days at a time and hate having to be tied to an external charger...and depending on how long I'm away from an outlet, those run dry too).

Currently, between my internal storage and my card storage, I am using 12gb. That is after moving and deleting pics and backups to my pc. I don't use cloud storage...just not comfortable with having my stuff out there yet... and no need to.

Other huge problem not having removable storage is that, if the phone decides to crash, you can't just pull out your sdcard and your contents are safe. You've lost it all. I've learned to keep anything I want to save on my sdcard till I can move it to pc. Anyone with this phone will want to backup to cloud or pc frequently.

I think HTC needs to add a DNA ultimate...with expandable storage and bigger battery! It would sell like hotcakes!

I would have one if it had an SD card slot and 2500 battery. I am on a plane often so watch movies, and have only 3gb left on my 32 gb card. Don't forget factory resets , can you do a factory reset without losing all your music, pictures, and movies?

Going to skip this one. 16 and only 2020...no thanks. So close HTC, so close. Unless they are pulling a Motorola and launching a maxx or something I'm waiting to see what ces brings.

The battery maH..meh, not so much a deal breaker, though I would love removable.

But the micro sd...must have for many of the reasons listed in the posts above...so in the words of Bush Sr. "not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent, not at this juncture"

Nothing never doesn't un happen to me

pwrdbykyank said:
ya thats not a plus as far as memory room to store stuff on, but so far im loving the phone, works great, no issues everything seems to be good on it thus far. In photo gallery it seems to be set up already for people to upload most their pics to servers like picasa and other stuff. I guess they are pushing for a more cloud based storage system. Again i dont see why the DNA doesnt have a micro sd but the HTC j butterfly which is the japan version of this phone does have a micro sd which is due to release in japan.

It's called Verizon.

geoff5093 said:
I thought this would be a major downside as well, but when I went on my phone I was only using 847MB for apps (all my apps are on the device, not on the MicroSD card), and 3.6GB out of 64GB on my card. All in all I'm only using ~4.5GB, and that includes about 500 camera pictures, 20 camera videos, and another 500+ photos from my old cameras that I keep in a separate folder on my card. 11GB usable will definitely get me by for 2 years, especially since I have 56GB of Dropbox storage.

So how much are you paying or will be paying for the cloud storage, and do not forget the data charges.

Seems that this no Sd card slot is because of VZW. HTC is going to keep losing if they allow carriers to walk on them, maybe that is what VZW wants since Motorola is under VZWs desk.

The battery doesn't bother me, but not having expandable storage crushes any deal for me buying it. This is kinda sad because I have bought every HTC Android phone on VZWs network. Wish I could put the butterfly J on VZW.

Last edited:
shockracer said:
Seems that this no Sd card slot is because of VZW. HTC is going to keep losing if they allow carriers to walk on them, maybe that is what VZW wants since Motorola is under VZWs desk.

The battery doesn't bother me, but not having expandable storage crushes any deal for me buying it. This is kinda sad because I have bought every HTC Android phone on VZWs network. Wish I could put the butterfly J on VZW.

Yup I'd own this by now also full retail.. But I'll wait for there next phone..

Back