Original Text Message.apk needed

02Luis02

Reaction score
Hi, I'm gonna ask for a huge favor from you guys... I have the White Droid 2 Global and absolutely love it... I downloaded Titanium Backup to delete unwanted apps such as Blockbuster, Kindle, AmazonMP3 and all that crap. When uninstalling apps... I accidentally uninstalled Text Messaging Service 2.2 (again, using Titanium Backup free version)... My text msg icon disappeared from both my Home Screen and my Main Menu and its no where to be found.

I downloaded Handcent and its kool yeah but I ran into a little problem... I'm not able to send Picture Messages. With Handcent I am able to send/receive text msgs without any problems but when trying to send a picture msg I get the following error: Original SMS messaging client missing, Picture msg failed. If you asked me, picture msgs and text msgs are two separate things but for some reason the phone won't let me send picture msgs without having the txt msg app that came with the phone.

Can some one please post the original Motorola Text Messing 2.2 apk file? I'm gonna try to install it... if I get it from here and will keep you posted with the outcome. If you for some reason can't post it in this thread can you please email it to me? [email protected]

Note: Master reset already done 3 times and didn't bring it up.

Thanks in advanced.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Its not at the very bottom of Titanium with the other bloat that was deleted??

Hi, I'm gonna ask for a huge favor from you guys... I have the White Droid 2 Global and absolutely love it... I downloaded Titanium Backup to delete unwanted apps such as Blockbuster, Kindle, AmazonMP3 and all that crap. When uninstalling apps... I accidentally uninstalled Text Messaging Service 2.2 (again, using Titanium Backup free version)... My text msg icon disappeared from both my Home Screen and my Main Menu and its no where to be found.

I downloaded Handcent and its kool yeah but I ran into a little problem... I'm not able to send Picture Messages. With Handcent I am able to send/receive text msgs without any problems but when trying to send a picture msg I get the following error: Original SMS messaging client missing, Picture msg failed. If you asked me, picture msgs and text msgs are two separate things but for some reason the phone won't let me send picture msgs without having the txt msg app that came with the phone.

Can some one please post the original Motorola Text Messing 2.2 apk file? I'm gonna try to install it... if I get it from here and will keep you posted with the outcome. If you for some reason can't post it in this thread can you please email it to me? [email protected]

Thanks in advanced.

DroidForums junkie!

OP
02Luis02

02Luis02

Reaction score
Its not at the very bottom of Titanium with the other bloat that was deleted??

No its not... that was the very first thing I checked right after I deleted by accident. The only ones showing at the bottom are the ones I backed up using Titanium Backup...

bmtbandit

Reaction score

Thanks in advanced.

There does not appear to be an apk for the text messaging service. It is listed under com.motorola.blur.conversations. Not sure what I can send you to help let me know.

leobg

Reaction score
There was a full system dump of a D2G floating around, I guess you need specific apk from /system/app. I guess you can use that to recover the missing stuff.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

OP
02Luis02

02Luis02

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and support you guys... BMTBANDIT.. went through the list of APKs that my phone currently has and not showing that one you mentioned (com.motorola.blur.conversations) i remember seeing it though... Can you send it to me? Another thing I noticed was that I don't have anything that says "messaging".

Also, when I deleted the Text Messaging apk I think I was in the T's (Titanium Backup gives you the APKs in alphabetical order).

LEOBG it would be nice to find that Full System Dump you mentioned... I looked for it but will keep looking... do you have a link to it by chance?

Thanks for your help guys...

Last edited:

bmtbandit

Reaction score
Thats what my point was, the is no apk. The Text Messaging 2.2 in titanium corresponds to package com.motorola.blur.conversation, but I don't know what apk it came from. The package is located in two places:
/system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.conversations
/data/data/com.motorola.blur.conversations

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply and support you guys... BMTBANDIT.. went through the list of APKs that my phone currently has and not showing that one you mentioned (com.motorola.blur.conversations) i remember seeing it though... Can you send it to me? Another thing I noticed was that I don't have anything that says "messaging".

Also, when I deleted the Text Messaging apk I think I was in the T's (Titanium Backup gives you the APKs in alphabetical order).

LEOBG it would be nice to find that Full System Dump you mentioned... I looked for it but will keep looking... do you have a link to it by chance?

Ohh another thing... if you use ASTRO file manager or IO file manager and you want to send me the apk :) just open your gmail/ click compose new/ enter my email address/ click on attach file/ select ASTRO or IO/ press the back or the home button until you see SYSTEM then click on APP then look for the APK... long press the APK file and it will attach it to the email.. and then just send it...

OP
02Luis02

02Luis02

Reaction score
Thats what my point was, the is no apk. The Text Messaging 2.2 in titanium corresponds to package com.motorola.blur.conversation, but I don't know what apk it came from. The package is located in two places:

Hope this helps.

Ohh another thing... if you use ASTRO file manager or IO file manager and you want to send me the apk :) just open your gmail/ click compose new/ enter my email address/ click on attach file/ select ASTRO or IO/ press the back or the home button until you see SYSTEM then click on APP then look for the APK... long press the APK file and it will attach it to the email.. and then just send it...

Boy... this is getting good!!! I went to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.conversations and that folder (om.motorola.blur.conversations) its empty... has no files.

The other one /data/data its empty as well.

I think it'll come down to either installing the ROM again (which I don't know where to get it from) and the other one will be to call it in to VZW and get it replaced... Bummer!!

any other ideas?

bmtbandit

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/96327-droid-2-global-system-dump.html

is the system dump. Sent you an Email as well.

Hope this helps.

Boy... this is getting good!!! I went to /system/etc/motorola/com.motorola.blur.conversations and that folder (om.motorola.blur.conversations) its empty... has no files.

The other one /data/data its empty as well.

I think it'll come down to either installing the ROM again (which I don't know where to get it from) and the other one will be to call it in to VZW and get it replaced... Bummer!!

any other ideas?

OP
02Luis02

02Luis02

Reaction score
Sorry... I had to step away for a min... I'm downloading the file right now and also got your email. Will keep you posted and I really, really do appreciate your help :)

Tvox08

Reaction score
Reinstalling apks

Oh thank god for that system dump! I've been looking for replacements for deleted stock apps since my noob self got carried away with titanium backup (and I only had the free version at the time), and none of the droid2 dumps were working.

I successfully reinstalled everything except CarDock.apk (CarDock.odex) and Mynet.apk (Mynet.odex). I haven't tried putting the apk and odex files in system before installing though.. I'll try that next. Any other ideas/suggestions? I know these apps are different than the others (blockbuster, amazon mp3, etc) because the odex files are uniquely generated by the phone, but does it have to be my odex or just the apk and odex need to match? Thanks in advance, I'm still pretty new to this!

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Anyone who stumbles across this though, here's how you reinstall the apks that have odex files associated with them:
1) Move BOTH the apk and the odex file to system/apps, but do not attempt to install the apk
2) change permissions to rw-r--r-- for BOTH files
3) Reboot -- the device will reinstall the files itself, you cannot manaully install them.

Note: I got a scary black screen that looked like I was toast, but I just booted again with the power button and it booted properly, with the stock apps as they should be!

Last edited:
OP
02Luis02

02Luis02

Reaction score
Oh thank god for that system dump! I've been looking for replacements for deleted stock apps since my noob self got carried away with titanium backup (and I only had the free version at the time), and none of the droid2 dumps were working.

I successfully reinstalled everything except CarDock.apk (CarDock.odex) and Mynet.apk (Mynet.odex). I haven't tried putting the apk and odex files in system before installing though.. I'll try that next. Any other ideas/suggestions? I know these apps are different than the others (blockbuster, amazon mp3, etc) because the odex files are uniquely generated by the phone, but does it have to be my odex or just the apk and odex need to match? Thanks in advance, I'm still pretty new to this!

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Anyone who stumbles across this though, here's how you reinstall the apks that have odex files associated with them:
1) Move BOTH the apk and the odex file to system/apps, but do not attempt to install the apk
2) change permissions to rw-r--r-- for BOTH files
3) Reboot -- the device will reinstall the files itself, you cannot manaully install them.

Note: I got a scary black screen that looked like I was toast, but I just booted again with the power button and it booted properly, with the stock apps as they should be!
Alright so... first of all I wanna give a special SHOUT-OUT to BMTBANDIT for giving us the System Dump link and for all the help... and also wanna thank Tvox08 for posting his "resolution"... Several things I had to do after downloading the System Dump
1) I had to download a program called BitZipper on my Windows Vista to view and extract the files from the System Dump.
2) After the files from the system dump were extracted... I copied them in to my Droid' SDcard.
3) I downloaded Root Explorer from applanet (google it if you don't know what that is) and using root explorer I was able to copy the missing files from the SDcard into the System App on my phone. Changed permissions as Tvox08 stated, rebooted my phone and Viola!!! Text Messing Icon is back with the ability to send/receive Picture Messages.

Note: If you try to move files from sdcard to system app using root explorer... you have to click on ...Mount R/W... to change it to ...Mount R/O... and that will give you the ability to move files into system app and when you're done.. change it back to ..Mount R/W...

Its been a real pleasure working with you gentlemen.

God bless and Go DG2 and AndroidForums.net

Jmac146

Reaction score
I know this is an older post, but would this system dump work on a droid X? I have the EXACT same problem... i was removing files and backing them up with titanium, yet somehow my mms and messaging program magically disappeared and was not located on my titanium, so i also can't receive MMS texts and the default texting message icon is gone from my apps. Any thoughts???