PDANet (FoxFi) + Razr/Razr Maxx on JB 4.1.2 thread

I'm about to do the same thing, but cannot get the Moto Device Manager to run on my Win7 laptop. The service never starts, won't get listed in the Windoze Services list, and if I try to manually run any of the Moto applications I get some weird C++ runtime error.

Anyone have this same issue? I'd really like to be able to tether to my 4G device sometimes.

It's weird, I've always been able to transfer files to/from my Razr to this laptop, but the Moto Device Manager 2.3.7 as downloaded from Motorola, just will not work. I'll try it on my trusty Windows 2000 machine at home this weekend. Yes, I said Win2K and it is fantastic except for Flash support and some USB incompatibility/issues. Most stable OS ever.

**Edit.... sorry clobbering the Foxfi/PDAnet thread, and rambling about a 13-14 year old Windoze OS

that's what I'm saying. I downloaded the moto USB driver 2.3.7 and tried to install it on my laptop and it doesn't work. So I'm thinking it's something with my laptop. It was strange when installing, that the laptop did not ask for Adminstrative permission to install it (work laptop, I have local admin password)

I can transfer files on/off the Razr just fine, always have been able to. I thought these Moto drivers were special in that they could access parts of the Razr file structure and not just the Internal/External storage or something.

Am I supposed to download something onto the Razr and install that? I didn't get that impression.

Note: Basically I've tried the Razr-Blade root tool and it immediately gets stuck on "daemon loaded".... it never does anything with the phone. Yes, USB Debug was on, USB in MTP media device.

Last edited:
update.... got on a different Win7 laptop, installed the Moto Device Manager fine, used the razr_blade hack tool and rooted easily. Not sure why my laptop wouldn't work, maybe Win7 Enterprise vs Win7 Pro, I dunno. Either way, I'm rooted and going for wifi tether now

Awesome.

The "WiFi Tether for Root Users" app from Müller, Lemons, Buxton, linked above, works great. Thanks redsnk95

I am in the same boat... PdaNet works on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet now only using Bluetooth. This is okay but there are some apps that think it needs expected network. The big disappointment is I can not get my email on the tablet using Bluetooth.
I sure hope they can get a quick update to this. I really like using my tablet in the car off of my razr maxx.
For me to attempt to root a phone is the same as my throwing the phone off a cliff. No confidence anymore on doing that.

Since there are various threads on other topics with discussion of this, figured we could have a thread for it alone.

I have tested PDANet on my Razr Maxx with the JB update. The WiFi hot-spot feature for internet access doesn't work for me. However, the Bluetooth mode is working for me just fine. In my particular case this is good for me, because I would only need this feature to power my Xoom tablet when out of WiFi range.

Maybe the dev will be able to fix this in the future to enable to hot-spot feature in JB.

The other method is to root and change the entitlements with SQ Editor.

Troy

I am in the same boat... PdaNet works on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet now only using Bluetooth. This is okay but there are some apps that think it needs expected network. The big disappointment is I can not get my email on the tablet using Bluetooth.
I sure hope they can get a quick update to this. I really like using my tablet in the car off of my razr maxx.
For me to attempt to root a phone is the same as my throwing the phone off a cliff. No confidence anymore on doing that.

Frankly, rooting has been reduced to a virtually foolproof method by Dan Rosengerg, here... http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/6924-root-achieved-for-jb-ota-razrmaxx-xt912/

It's pretty simple and uses Smart Actions to exploit the system and force the files into place that allow it to successfully gain root. You follow the screen prompts and in about 4 minutes, you're done.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

I can't even get the Bluetooth to work....it will connect and work for less than a minute then it stops working.....phone and tablet say they are still connected but no data gets transfered

My voicemail now has to sign in and it takes a while and sometimes can't connect to sign in - aggravating.

I want to root, but I'm so computer illiterate that usually, even with step by step instructions, they'll be at least one step that I won't be able to figure out. Guess that's why I've stayed away from it.

I just rooted and set up wireless tethering using the method in the 2 videos. Not one problem.

One difference was in setting up tethering he goes to line 66 in sqlite editor... mine was line 79...so search by name . Everything else was the same.

Just FYI

Can someone plz point me to direction to root my friend razr and to wich rom to upload dor her to use foxifi wireless tethering much appreciated

The RAZR/Maxx XT912 rooting instructions on Jelly Bean is posted above in FoxKat's post.... there is a youtube video also showing you step-by-step how the root batch file works. It's painless.

The only problem I had was with the Motorola Device Manager software on my laptop - it wouldn't install properly for some reason. I used a different computer for rooting and it worked perfectly.

As for tethering, you can do the SQLLite editor route, or just download the app mentioned above in and in previous posts here in this thread.

Back