People App Disabled

dsowder

Reaction score
I have searched and searched and have not been able to find my problem. I had downloaded a contact and phone app awhile back and when I removed it my people and phone functions are no longer there. I have no way of calling a number, only answering them. I can see that the people app is disabled, but it is greyed out so I am unable to re-enable. The people/phone/caller apps are not in my app drawer. Only when I look at all apps on my phone in the App Manager is it listed there. Someone please help!

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hmm... not good. That specific app (there should be two People apps in your list total) is not normally capable of being disabled. Unfortunately I think what you are going to have to do is Factory Default the phone.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I would try reinstalling the app in question and see if that changes any of your possible actions.

OP
dsowder

dsowder

Reaction score
@acejavelin yeah I had noticed the other People app and it looks to be just fine, just the other one is disabled :/

@zomnomnombie I reinstalled the app (Contacts+) and I am still unable to re-enable

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you rooted? If so, connect your phone to the PC, run "ADB Shell PM list packages -d" . That will list all the disabled packages on your phone. People should be listed as com.htc.people ( I believe ). So then you'd run "ADB Shell PM enable com.htc.people" and viola People is back.

This is of course only a solution if the app is truly disabled and not missing/broken. In any case, rooting might be the only way this gets fixed and the process of rooting causes a factory reset which is probably what you wanted to avoid in the first place...

Last edited:
OP
dsowder

dsowder

Reaction score
I am not rooted but have been wanting to; but have been a bit intimidated honestly. I might end up looking through these forums and see if I can find some simple directions.

OP
dsowder

dsowder

Reaction score
@MrSmith317 Ahhhh just noticed you put that on your reply! THANK YOU!

acejavelin

Reaction score
Remember, if you root now, you will factory default your phone. The procedure to root the Rezound will cause the phone to default when the bootloader is unlocked!!!

MrSmith's recommendation to re-enable the People app above will only work if you are already rooted.

OP
dsowder

dsowder

Reaction score
@acejavelin I had done a factory reset not too long ago because of my phone running sluggish so it wouldn't be TOO drastic for me to root at this point. I would really like to have Jelly Bean and Google Now features. There is still a very strong possibility that I will be too scared of the process and just stick with what I got lol

acejavelin

Reaction score
The I would just do the factory default, at least then you will know if the software is still on the phone or not. Best result, you fix the problem and have a clean phone to start over with, worst result, the file is missing/corrupted and you need to root/rom or RUU anyway.

The only other possibility I can think of is find a different third-party Dialer/Contact Management software you like, it will get you by and possibly at least let you backup your contacts.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
The I would just do the factory default, at least then you will know if the software is still on the phone or not. Best result, you fix the problem and have a clean phone to start over with, worst result, the file is missing/corrupted and you need to root/rom or RUU anyway.

The only other possibility I can think of is find a different third-party Dialer/Contact Management software you like, it will get you by and possibly at least let you backup your contacts.

I'd try Go contacts...seemed fairly stable when I used it

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
@acejavelin I had done a factory reset not too long ago because of my phone running sluggish so it wouldn't be TOO drastic for me to root at this point. I would really like to have Jelly Bean and Google Now features. There is still a very strong possibility that I will be too scared of the process and just stick with what I got lol

Take a look at the guide in my sig. I tried to write it at "nicely" as I knew how.

Bpowder33

Reaction score

The jb experience is well worth it! Although intimidating it's really not that difficult once you dive into it. Good luck!

OP
dsowder

dsowder

Reaction score
Stuck

The jb experience is well worth it! Although intimidating it's really not that difficult once you dive into it. Good luck!

So I gave it a try finally!!! And now I'm stuck :( I've gotten the ROM to download but it will just go to the white HTC screen and won't go anywhere. I'm thinking I don't have the kernel installed properly?

If someone could PLEASE help me out I would greatly appreciate it! I have been without my phone for a day now and am losing my mind I really messed something up :(

acejavelin

Reaction score
So I gave it a try finally!!! And now I'm stuck :( I've gotten the ROM to download but it will just go to the white HTC screen and won't go anywhere. I'm thinking I don't have the kernel installed properly?

If someone could PLEASE help me out I would greatly appreciate it! I have been without my phone for a day now and am losing my mind I really messed something up :(
Assuming you are S-ON, you have a ROM/kernel (boot.img) mismatch... remember that you need to extract and flash the boot.img file manually. Although the best way to flash a ROM is to NOT flash it via custom recovery flashed on the phone, but to place a copy of the latest TWRP/CWM recovery.img in your adb directory and boot into fastboot, then execute "fastboot boot recovery.img" and flash the ROM from there. Doing it in this way eliminates the need to flash the boot image seperately.