Phantom Facebook Notifications

acejavelin

Reaction score
Anybody else getting them? I've gotten several over the past two or three days. Facebook app version 1.9.12.

Notification sound goes off, Facebook icon in the status bar, grab the pull down and it just says "Facebook" with no additional information, and when I tap the notification to open it the Facebook app opens and there's nothing. Strange part is I have all Facebook notifications disabled, checked it every time it's gone off and they are all still disabled. Clearing app data doesn't seem to make any difference.

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
And after doing some research into it, this version has been out since November 16th, so it's not like a bug in a new version.

Tried remove and reinstall and last night and still got one this morning, annoying...

So, has anyone had this on a phone that isn't a Rezound?

flamewalker

Reaction score
FYI: Look under Settings->Account & Sync... I found my facebook was somehow set to sync every 4 hours. Probably some update they pushed behind the scenes? I turned it off... but I haven't gotten any notifications since yesterday anyhow...

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
FYI: Look under Settings->Account & Sync... I found my facebook was somehow set to sync every 4 hours. Probably some update they pushed behind the scenes? I turned it off... but I haven't gotten any notifications since yesterday anyhow...
Hmmm... Good catch, I hadn't thought of that! Mine is set to every 12 hours, looks like it is doing it around 12:20AM (and I am assuming about 12:20pm as well) but I can't remember when I was getting the notifications if it was a certain time or what, and I haven't gotten one today either. I see that a new version of the FB app was released today, but the "What's New" section seems to be the same as the last version.

VidJunky

Reaction score
Besides FaceBook being evil, I have been getting emails from them saying I have notifications, but when checked there are no new notifications. It's not the app, at least I don't think so, because i have it disabled. These are straight emails. Anyway, after several days of this I just unsubscribed from them I hope. I haven't gotten one since but it was just last night. I didn't want to totally disable them just because I was hoping for someone to respond to a message I put out there but I'd rather miss the response then have false messages of notifications that don't exist. I stand by my belief that facebook is evil.

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Besides FaceBook being evil, I have been getting emails from them saying I have notifications, but when checked there are no new notifications. It's not the app, at least I don't think so, because i have it disabled. These are straight emails. Anyway, after several days of this I just unsubscribed from them I hope. I haven't gotten one since but it was just last night. I didn't want to totally disable them just because I was hoping for someone to respond to a message I put out there but I'd rather miss the response then have false messages of notifications that don't exist. I stand by my belief that facebook is evil.
I am not going to argue the fact that FB is evil, in my opinion that is kind of a given... :)

But it does seem the phantom notifications have stopped, I don't know if it's the new version of the app that came out last week or it was just a fluke, but for several days now I have not gotten any more notifications.

I did get a couple emails that said I was tagged in a photo by <someone> but when I went to look at it, the system said it was no longer available so I just assumed that person removed the photo after they uploaded it but it might have been just because FB is evil.