[Poll] If Samsung's Galaxy S6 is curved, would you buy one?

[Poll] If Samsung's Galaxy S6 is curved, would you buy one?

• Total voters

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It will be interesting to hear if the public really wants "the curve" in the up and coming Galaxy S6.

samsung-galaxy-s6-hidden-in-unpacked-poster.jpg

Or would you rather have a more traditional look?

this-is-the-samsung-galaxy-s6-according-to-case-maker-spigen-png.74206

Cast your votes and comments.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Traditional, it's a gimmick, like the Galaxy Nexus curve, served no function.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nope. Then again I think I'm done with Samsung. Galaxy Nexus to s4, think it's about time to move on to another company. Hopefully Verizon gets another Sony phone, would love to have an Xperia device.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I chose the first option simply because it said defiantly instead of definitely. :)

That said, after seeing posts about @Ollie's experience with the Note Edge, I'd consider it for sure if I was in the market for a new device. I like new and different things and edge screens seem to be about the only thing kinda new and different Samsung is doing these days...

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I chose the first option simply because it said defiantly instead of definitely. :)

That said, after seeing posts about @Ollie's experience with the Note Edge, I'd consider it for sure if I was in the market for a new device. I like new and different things and edge screens seem to be about the only thing kinda new and different Samsung is doing these days...
Fixed SA...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've played around with the Note Edge, and I firmly believe that with the right software support, curved edges are not a gimmick. It's actually very useful for a variety of things. But ongoing software support from Samsung and from app developers is what will make or break it.

A curved variant of the S6 would definitely get my attention. I'm curious to see how it differs from the Note Edge in form and function (if it differs at all).

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm curious to know, from those that throw the word "gimmick" around, what you would consider innovative?

Pick the top OEMs and look at what they have done that is even close to innovative.

Apple: They created the smartphone craze and short of TouchID they have always allowed other OEMs to lead the way and then copy them while trying to make the new stuff look like their creation. From the slew of features stolen from Android to their latest hardware design stolen from HTC.

Samsung: Samsung brought Android to the masses. From high end phones to low tier phones they slayed everyone in sales until their sales started slumping recently. They are still the number one OEM in the world arena. Samsung brought in a lot of hardware specs that were initially mocked and then adopted. Octacore chips, Amoled displays, dual core chips that outperform Octacores, software that offers far more than other OEMs, 3G technologies, etc.

HTC: Front facing dual speakers, unibody designs.

Mororola: They used to have some of the best radios in the business, always "on" listening software.

Xiaomi: Low cost copies of everyone else's designs.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Nope, I am only buying phones with speakers in the front from here on out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Actually a subwoofer in a phone wouldn't be impossible. With the ability to create bass channel tubes inside the case, you could probably get some real air moving with a decent sized transducer. Still, you may add SOME lower register sound but you'll never get the kind of bass response out of them that you do from even the smallest portable Bluetooth speakers. It's just a matter of physics and air flow/air volume. You need to move large amounts of air to create bass.

One way they could overcome this limitation is to go to a radiating panel for the back cover and have that be the bass transducer. I have a pair of flat panel speakers that are battery operated, and use corrugated plastic panels as the transducer.

73442-sonic-impact-si-5-generation-2.jpg

The bass response is pretty surprising considering there is no actual "cabinet" or air channels/tubes to enhance and amplify the air movement. The way it moves enough air to make real bass response is simply by the square inches of surface moving that air.

By making the rear panel of the phone (or at least a portion), "floating", perhaps in a rubber grommet around the perimeter, and then putting the transducer on the inside of the phone attached to the inside (back), of the real panel, phone manufacturers could use it as the transducer. This would yield some additional air movement and increase bass response.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Actually a subwoofer in a phone wouldn't be impossible. With the ability to create bass channel tubes inside the case, you could probably get some real air moving with a decent sized transducer. Still, you may add SOME lower register sound but you'll never get the kind of bass response out of them that you do from even the smallest portable Bluetooth speakers. It's just a matter of physics and air flow/air volume. You need to move large amounts of air to create bass.

One way they could overcome this limitation is to go to a radiating panel for the back cover and have that be the bass transducer. I have a pair of flat panel speakers that are battery operated, and use corrugated plastic panels as the transducer.

73442-sonic-impact-si-5-generation-2.jpg

The bass response is pretty surprising considering there is no actual "cabinet" or air channels/tubes to enhance and amplify the air movement. The way it moves enough air to make real bass response is simply by the square inches of surface moving that air.

By making the rear panel of the phone (or at least a portion), "floating", perhaps in a rubber grommet around the perimeter, and then putting the transducer on the inside of the phone attached to the inside (back), of the real panel, phone manufacturers could use it as the transducer. This would yield some additional air movement and increase bass response.
Wouldn't you muffle it just by holding the device ire laying it down though?

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk