Possible "Bug" in CM6, SU and/or Setcpu

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, as I did see this in 22d rooted with SU.

In my CM6, with a p3 1250 kernel, I am having an issue with Setcpu, SU and boot/reboot.

If I either boot or reboot in terminal, script or with the CM6 reboot screen, if I do not unlock my phone before my sd card has finished mounting, then setcpu does not get SU permission. The result is that in Setcpu, my slider shows 1250, but the running info bar above only shows 600/250. In the info screen, the cpu will actually clock to 700, but in neither case will it be actually running at 1250. If I touch the slider at 1250 then it changes.

The steps to try and duplicate would be to reboot/boot the phone, and do not use the slider or menu button to unlock, just let the phone sit for a number of seconds past when the sd card is mounted. When you finally open the screen, check setcpu to see if it is running properly. I did wipe and foactory reset a number of times when installing, I have cleared and reloaded setcpu, and cleared setcpu from SU to test.

If this is just my phone then perhaps I have an issue. If it is not just me, then it is possible to boot thinking you have a speed that is really not running properly.

Thanks,

Craig

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check the settings and make sure the device setting is auto select and that set on boot is checked.

OP
B

Bear in NM

Reaction score
MW,

Thanks, but that was done. It will boot and SU fine as long as I use the unlock menu slider or menu button, so the detect and boot checks are working. Just a wierd glitch when I do not unlock the phone quick enough after boot, before the sd card is finished mounting. I have a work around, I was just hoping that someone else could test, to see if letting the phone reboot without unlock interaction quickly would result in their phone not registering the setcpu application and higher oc.

Craig

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you change any of the profiles or add a new profile?

OP
B

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Mw,

not only did I not have any new profiles, I no profiles set.

MJ,

I did not know you could turn off notifications in SU, so I tried. That was most interesting. Not only did Setcpu not gain SU status, when I went into setcpu I actually had to autodetect again. I tried turning back on notifications, and eventually had to remove Setcpu from SU and re-allow.

Bear in mind that my phone and setcpu are functional, as long as I hit the unlock slider before my sd card is finished mounting, so I am good to go. My concern was for someone else to test reboot/boot without slider unlocking their phone until 15 to 20 seconds after sd mount, to see it this could be duplicated on another phone. Essentially like setting the phone to reboot, then running to get a beverage or answering the door, missing the initial slider unlock. If this is something that can happen on another phone, it is tricky in that you would not know that your oc was not functioning unless you open setcpu to see your slider value and the actual running value to be different.

Thanks,

Craig

mjones73

Reaction score
Strange, there were some issues with past versions of SuperUser doing this, what version do you have?

OP
B

Bear in NM

Reaction score
MJ,

According to the phone, 2.0.2 for setcpu and 2.3.5 for SU. I'll check market and see if that is the most current. The SU is the version that came with my CM6 install, which was a multiple wipe/reset due to me fiddling with some other things. I probably should uninstall Su and reinstall, but having done this before on an earlier rom, I know this can be kinda tricky as unstalling means no root access while uninstalled.

I did find one complicating factor that I should have snapped to. Booting when on the charger. Duh.....I'll set up some profiles later, and check these out.

Craig

Edit: Funny how that works. I checked market after my post, and there was an update to setcpu. I installed, and the problem seems to be gone. Not sure if it was a bug in setcpu or what, but I am better now. Now off to figure out compcache....