possible water damage

SallyC

Reaction score
According to this FAQ "Damage and/or performance issues that result from contact with any liquid, water, rain or extreme humidity are excluded from warranty coverage. Motorola will not repair or replace liquid-damaged products. They will be returned unrepaired."

I realize that seems in conflict with their claims. They appear to be wanting it both ways - claiming it's safe from a spilled drink, but ready to deny any damage from water. It would be an interesting legal case.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
According to this FAQ "Damage and/or performance issues that result from contact with any liquid, water, rain or extreme humidity are excluded from warranty coverage. Motorola will not repair or replace liquid-damaged products. They will be returned unrepaired."

I realize that seems in conflict with their claims. They appear to be wanting it both ways - claiming it's safe from a spilled drink, but ready to deny any damage from water. It would be an interesting legal case.

The one that most disturbs me is "extreme humidity". In other words, the example someone else had of going from a cold dry inside toa hot and humid outdoors could be denied coverage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
The one that most disturbs me is "extreme humidity". In other words, the example someone else had of going from a cold dry inside toa hot and humid outdoors could be denied coverage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Yea, turns out they want the money in their pockets and not yours! ;)

Parzec

Reaction score
Sounds like fraud in the inducement to purchase to me if they can not stand behind their claims of water resistance. It seems sellers are just as apt to commit fraud as consumers. Then again corporations are only human, according to our misguided Supreme Court :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx from Droid Forums

Chukee

Reaction score
If you subscribe to motorola news feed for tips and tricks for your razr maxx they tell you point blank about the phone being protected from water spills and getting it wet if you get caught in the rain with it. They also tell you the limits of that protection. More than likely if they find that the phone has water damage they are going to claim that you exceeded the water protection by keeping the phone submerged in water for a long period of time which they state in black and white its not water proof. How will they know that it stayed submerged i have no idea nor do any of us on this forum. Only you know what happened.

SallyC

Reaction score
If you subscribe to motorola news feed for tips and tricks for your razr maxx they tell you point blank about the phone being protected from water spills and getting it wet if you get caught in the rain with it. They also tell you the limits of that protection. More than likely if they find that the phone has water damage they are going to claim that you exceeded the water protection by keeping the phone submerged in water for a long period of time which they state in black and white its not water proof. How will they know that it stayed submerged i have no idea nor do any of us on this forum. Only you know what happened.

The info I posted above (post #44) is from that feed. It would seem to me that what the OP said occurred specifically was mentioned in the feed - "spilled drink" - and should be covered. But how they can tell a spilled drink from the other things they mentioned, I don't know. Perhaps there are indicators whose sensitivity don't turn color until a longer period of time or degree of wetness.

Hopefully dropzone will post us an update on how it turned out.

xmguy

Reaction score
When I got caught in the rain last year with my then Droid X. The water sensor got tripped and all. However it worked great for a few months then started to mess up. The day it happened, I called Verizon and told them what happened exactly. Asked since was unforeseen and it was not intentional would they allow a swap. They said no. So long story short on the warranty side. I got a replacement Droid X via Asurian. Paid the deductible and moved on.

Here is the kicker. The RAZR and RAZR maxx have no visible stickers on the phone. Most phones the sticker is visible. So if you trip it you know you have to call Asurian or look on the auction sites if you have no insurance. However with the RAZR all the stickers are INSIDE and (without voiding the warranty more with opening it) can't be accessible. So you have 2 options both have the same outcome. Open the phone see if the sensors are tripped then call Asurian. Or call Asurian right away.
Verizon told me even if I don't know the sensor was or wasn't tripped if they catch it they hit me up with full retail cost. I even worry if my jeans get sweaty with the phone in my pocket. Don't take the chance. Don't commit fraud either. Call Asurian if you have it. Paying $100 is a heck of alot cheaper than paying full retail for sending to Verizon and them seeing (whether you knew or not) that the phone sensor was tripped and getting hit up for the full cost of the phone. Not even sure they'd replace it or just charge full retail for trying to scam them. Go to Asurian and be done with it. Best way...even if you don't want to.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!

Last edited:
OP
D

dropzone

Reaction score
i got my new phone from insurance and all is well. i said that i was going through insurance back on page 3 but it seems to have been over looked. im to old to be worried about what if's.

i did take the back off the phone and even removed the battery. there are two indicators on the phone. one on the edge and one on the bottom. both are fully intact(bright white with red three Red X's on each). i dont know how they would ever be able to prove water damage but the risk was enough for me not to want to find out. even opening the phone i dont see how they could know you did. it was much easier then i thought it would be.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
dropzone said:
i got my new phone from insurance and all is well. i said that i was going through insurance back on page 3 but it seems to have been over looked. im to old to be worried about what if's.

i did take the back off the phone and even removed the battery. there are two indicators on the phone. one on the edge and one on the bottom. both are fully intact(bright white with red three Red X's on each). i dont know how they would ever be able to prove water damage but the risk was enough for me not to want to find out. even opening the phone i dont see how they could know you did. it was much easier then i thought it would be.

Good to hear that. Same as me also. 3 weeks ago I sent my wife's nexus in cause she accidently put it in the washing machine with her clothes. Told Verizon that it stopped working. They sent me a refurb. Well 2 weeks later it crapped out and just rebooted itself over and over. Plus the volume went to crap. So I called them back up, went through 1hr out them giving me BS troubleshooting tips and they asked me if I wanted them to send me another nexus. Told them well no cause I don't get really good 4g signal at my house. Tech asked me what my signal strength was on my Rezound and nexus to compare. And here is where the nexus has a pink pony for 4g antenna. My Rezound was -85dbm and my wife's nexus was -120dbm. What a huge difference. Well the tech told me I could choose between a Razr or Rezound. Well no brainer there. Choose to replace my wife's nexus with a refurb Rezound. It will just come with the phone and no beats or battery. No matter cause I my stock battery with cover for my wife.

In all do what you want. That's why we pay for insurance to cover things that happen. As goes for a car. Glad everything worked out for you.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Last edited by a moderator:

valenzetti

Reaction score
i know i'm about two weeks late on this but i just want to dispel the notion that putting a phone in a bag of rice is a good idea. i understand why it makes sense but the thing most people don't understand is that the water evaporation is what causes corrosion on the motherboard. if you accelerate the water evaporation, it's not like it happens less, it happens faster.. so guess what also happens faster? i know there are people who do the bag of rice thing and their phone works afterward, but it will guarantee more corrosion. so will heating it up with a hairdryer. anything that causes the water to evaporate, at any speed, will cause more corrosion. they best thing you could do would be to blow it off with an air compressor. the water isn't evaporating then, it's rapidly being removed. there was a guide someone posted a few pages back that seemed somewhat decent and it recommended soaking the phone in alcohol, which is close to true because the alcohol dispels the water and will not cause corrosion upon evaporation.. but the alcohol can soak into your lcd/digitizer and ruin your display.

just some thoughts.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
i know i'm about two weeks late on this but i just want to dispel the notion that putting a phone in a bag of rice is a good idea. i understand why it makes sense but the thing most people don't understand is that the water evaporation is what causes corrosion on the motherboard. if you accelerate the water evaporation, it's not like it happens less, it happens faster.. so guess what also happens faster? i know there are people who do the bag of rice thing and their phone works afterward, but it will guarantee more corrosion. so will heating it up with a hairdryer. anything that causes the water to evaporate, at any speed, will cause more corrosion. they best thing you could do would be to blow it off with an air compressor. the water isn't evaporating then, it's rapidly being removed. there was a guide someone posted a few pages back that seemed somewhat decent and it recommended soaking the phone in alcohol, which is close to true because the alcohol dispels the water and will not cause corrosion upon evaporation.. but the alcohol can soak into your lcd/digitizer and ruin your display.

just some thoughts.

As an engineer and a former physics TA, you are absolutely incorrect about evaporation and corrosion. Oxidation occurs while water is in contact with the metal. The quicker water is removed from the metal, the less oxidation. If you spill water on a steel plate and use a blow dryer to dry it off quickly, it won't rust instantly before your eyes. But if you let the same amount of water evaporate over a couple of days, you will get a nice rusty patch.

As far as using a hair dryer or an air compressor on a Droid, I'd advise against both - you could end up doing more damage than the water itself would have done.

ScaryRobot

Reaction score
Im new here im sorry can anyone help me too??? I water tested my Razr in a faucet of running water.For about 5seconds...It's still working after around 20 minutes my volume down rocker became faulty. And suddenly It shut down by itself. I turned it on and it went to the Boot screen with "Device: Locked" I turned it off again decided to boot it by pressing Volume Down + Up together with Power Button. It went to the boot screen again for recovery. I tried to scroll thru volume down rocker it doesn't work. Then I hold the power button tried to turn it on normally. It turns on but all my downloaded apps were gone and my downloaded widgets says "problem loading the widget". And there is prompt on the left bottom of the screen saying "Safe Mode"..... Im thinking is my volume rocker already damaged? Please I need help on this. Thank you.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow! Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I am in shock that you put your phone under running water. Not on purpose, right?

The phone is water resistant but not water proof... so you still want to protect it from water (even though there are crazy youtube videos that try to demonstrate otherwise).

The very first thing you want to do is turn the phone off because there is water in there somewhere and the water mixed with the phone being on can short it out and cause more damage.

The second thing is to get your phone 100% dry before you do anything else. Put it on rice. Throw in some silicon packs if you have them and let the phone sit there in a sunny warm spot for at least 24 hours. Don't touch it.

Then before turning your phone on, you want to charge it. Plug it in to the wall using the charger that came with the phone... for several hours.

Once charged and if the phone is not ruined, hopefully we can help you film there.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

ScaryRobot

Reaction score
Wow! Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I am in shock that you put your phone under running water. Not on purpose, right?

The phone is water resistant but not water proof... so you still want to protect it from water (even though there are crazy youtube videos that try to demonstrate otherwise).

The very first thing you want to do is turn the phone off because there is water in there somewhere and the water mixed with the phone being on can short it out and cause more damage.

The second thing is to get your phone 100% dry before you do anything else. Put it on rice. Throw in some silicon packs if you have them and let the phone sit there in a sunny warm spot for at least 24 hours. Don't touch it.

Then before turning your phone on, you want to charge it. Plug it in to the wall using the charger that came with the phone... for several hours.

Once charged and if the phone is not ruined, hopefully we can help you film there.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Got it... Thank you :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Let us know how it goes. We're rooting for you and your Razr!