power button stopped working

goresnet

Reaction score
My power button stopped working. I had to get an app called "widget locker" to be able to wake up my screen, using the volume rocker. Pressing the power button does nothing, however at random times I will see the "power off, restart, airplane mode" window pop up. My phone is rooted, and I can't unroot, because, you guessed it, no power button! I have the insurance that Verizon forces down our throats. Had the phone for 18 months, so no longer under warranty. Will the insurance replace the phone (being rooted)? Is that something the insurance even covers? A friend suggested dunking the phone in water to get the insurance to replace it, because then it wouldn't matter being rooted, but that seems a bit shady. What do you guys think? (Not about water dunking, but about my predicament.)

Also, widget locker doesn't always wake the phone. I frequently have to pull the battery just to wake it up. Frequently, like 4-6 times a day. If it weren't for that, if I could wake it reliably, I'd just keep this t-bolt until upgrade time.

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
Just got replacement from insurance. Stuck on 1X. No 3G or 4G. New replacement coming tomorrow.

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
Got second replacement. Everything works. Original phone was rooted on 605.5. New one on 605.19. Don't get as strong a signal. Areas where I used to get 4g very strong, now just get weak 3g. Still get good 4g most places, but not like before.

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
Both replacements were Thunderbolts. The one I have now, the screen is a bit loose, like it wants to pop out in the lower right corner. But everything else works. I was hoping I'd get a rezound, or something, but just a Thunderbolt. Don't get me wrong, I do like the TB. Still, can't wait for December upgrade. The 10G plan should suffice me, and will be about the same price I'm currently paying. Can't justify going off contract or switching providers. Verizon is the only one who gets service where I work, and 4G at that (only 3G indoors, but still better than any other provider.)

wvdroidman

Reaction score
you need to call again and this time politely say "this will be my 4th thunderbolt is there any way you can give me another phone?" There's no reason 4 phones should be bad.

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
It's been about a month now, and I really don't want to drop another $99 deductible.

wvdroidman

Reaction score
tell them this is your 4th thunderbolt. Hopefully they will wave the deductible.

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
There's no way I'd pay another $99, then pay for another phone in December. If they waive it, I'd probably do it. In between your last response and mine, this phones speaker went to static. Not a crackle over actual sounds, but pure white noise type static. On music, text messages, phone call rings, everything! Took a restart to fix it. So, I'll be calling them tomorrow.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please don't tell me you pay $99 each time you get a replacement.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
You know the Galaxy Neux is free at bestbuy with a contract renewal.. not sure how important unlimited data is, just giving you another option.

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
You know the Galaxy Neux is free at bestbuy with a contract renewal.. not sure how important unlimited data is, just giving you another option.

I'm not eligible for renewal yet. But the Nexus looks like a good phone. I'd pay the $350 that Google has it listed for, but I can only find the GSM version. Can't find the CDMA on google anymore.

OP
G

goresnet

Reaction score
I believe I saw it on there. Maybe not, but I think so. But it would be a grweat phone to have for $350!