Prior D1 owners - would you buy the TB again?

tycedeano

Reaction score
When a 3.5mm plug is inserted into the TB, the phone's mic is muted (no way to unmute except unplugging the 3.5mm plug). You can hear the incoming call through the car's speakers, but they can't hear you. On my '09 Equinox (and most cars prior to '11) BT streaming only supports phone calls, not streaming music. Even when the BT is streaming your phone call to your car radio, if you have something plugged into the 3.5mm port, the phone's mic is muted and they can't hear you.

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
When a 3.5mm plug is inserted into the TB, the phone's mic is muted (no way to unmute except unplugging the 3.5mm plug). You can hear the incoming call through the car's speakers, but they can't hear you. On my '09 Equinox (and most cars prior to '11) BT streaming only supports phone calls, not streaming music. Even when the BT is streaming your phone call to your car radio, if you have something plugged into the 3.5mm port, the phone's mic is muted and they can't hear you.

Strange, on my D1 with UD3.2 Andorid 2.3.3 (i think) I BT stream to a belkin BT reciever that I have hard wired in my car.

When call comes in the phone pauses the BT streaming and I can talk normally, then once the call is over it unpauses and continues to play.

That's kinda upsetting that the TB doesn't work this way. :icon_evil:

illmatic636

Reaction score

Strange, on my D1 with UD3.2 Andorid 2.3.3 (i think) I BT stream to a belkin BT reciever that I have hard wired in my car.

When call comes in the phone pauses the BT streaming and I can talk normally, then once the call is over it unpauses and continues to play.

These are features of a Custom Rom for the D1. I'm sure the Mod for Bluetooth is going to be out soon for TB if not out already. Not certain the D1 did it out the box.

LadyAngler

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

My Bolt works for streaming music and making phone calls with Motorola T505. Also works for my bluetooth headphones DR-BT22. It pauses the music and everything.

And Yes to the OP. I LOVE this Bolt!

Last edited:

autoxinvr6

Reaction score
- IMO the screen seems better, the picture does seem better. That may just be because it is larger.
-The rear speaker sounds better and louder to me. I frequently have the rear speaker playing music while in my front pocket at work in the backroom and it's easier to hear the Thunderbolt then my D1.
-I like that it feels as fast as my overclocked D1, now I don't have to think about it overheating.
-The overall size of the phone feels perfect and I like that it has a larger screen while being lighter. Even tthough it is bigger it feels better in my pocket because it is thinner and lighter.
-No HDMI doesn't mean anything to me.

Dislikes:
-STUPID amount of carrierware installed stock. I have not rooted yet to uninstall but I think the amount of pre-installed programs is just rediculous.
-I hate Sense, I severly miss the "pure" android experience of my D1
-I hate that HTC limits the browser to 4 pages.
-I hate that we are limited to 10 alarms. I find it rediculous I needed to download an alarm app.
-I still hate Sense

With all that said. I do miss some of the little things about my D1. I read horror stories from some people going through 3 or 4+ phones trying to get a "good" D1 but I had my original one from the first day I bought it all the way untill I got the TB. I put my D1 through hell and it's case is scratched, dented and worn but it still functioned like it did day 1. Technically it was even better since I was rooted. I actually can't part with my D1, and it has been switched to another line on my plan untill that line's upgrade is available. Even then I will put the phone away and keep it for the future should someone hate their "upgrade"

Would I go back to the D1 by choice? No. Would I feel bad if I had to go back to D1 because I destroyed my phone without insurance? Nope, it was a good phone. (p.s. I do have insurance_ After being on the TB for almost a month the D1 felt small and heavy. In order for me to reach the current TB's performance level I had to overclock the D1. Although the TB does feel rushed, hopefully HTC will have an update that will allow some of the minor bugs and glitches to be fixed. In the near future I will root this TB and get rid of all the BS apps and move on.

52brandon

Reaction score
I upgraded to the TB from my trusty D1 the day after HTC released the kernel source. I have it OCed to 1.57ghz right now (although I was stable at 1.8ghz, I want to wait for some more improvements before I stay consistently that high) and it's smooth as can be and the battery life isn't too bad. Considering how early it is in it's custom developing life, I can only imagine the improvements to be made. I ABSOLUTELY would make the same choice again. If only to show HTC my appreciation for their decision to release source and let the devs have their way with it

only negative I really noticed was the change in size is very noticeable and takes some getting used to

edited: oh and DLNA streaming to my TV via PS3 is a freaking cool feature

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
LOL! are you kidding, I would buy this phone again and again. In fact I'm only buying HTC phones from this point on out.

Last edited:

insanepartyguy

Reaction score
Im quite happy with it myself. I had so many speed issues with my droid 1. I dont think ive ever recorded anything on any phone so that doesnt affect me too much. In fact i didnt even know about it until i read this fotum and ive had the phone since its release. I originally had gotten the droid 2 global to replace droid 1 but it was getting super hot and finally one day at the dentist i actually had to stop her from cleaning my teeth cause it was so hot it was making me uncomfortable. Very happy with it. 4g is so awesomely fast.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

52brandon

Reaction score
Minor setback brandon, minor setback. I'm still getting use to the huge size of the phone.
oh, I completely agree. As much as on paper they say the screen isn't that great, it looks quite crisp and clean to me. And is very responsive. I'm getting over it real quick

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
hdmi

OK, still have my D1 and have been eligible for an upgrade since January. I have been wanting to hold off for the Bionic but the TB is looking very nice. My girlfriend has an EVO and I love the Sense UI on it. I can get past single core and even not having an HDMI out port but the one thing that I am having a hard time getting past is the screen res. My Droid 3.7" screen has a higher res (480*854) than the TB and looks gorgeous. With the TB screen being bigger, do you notice the resolution difference from your D1s like in small text or diagonal lines? With such a big screen I see no reason that they didn't choose the 540*960 (qhd) over the 480*800.
Man, I hear you on the EVO. Thats the main reason I had my sights set on this thing since the teaser picks were leaked late last summer/early fall. The Bionic will be nice in its own right, but its got Blur, and its locked down, so its going to be a very long time before its successfully rooted, and even then, good luck flashing a ROM. Plus, the Bionic is already outdated in terms of Moto devices, with the Atrix headed to AT&T (and likely to Verizon this fall/winter). I decided not to wait, and even though its BARELY been 24 hours, I'm still surprised by this thing.

As for the resolution... I notice no difference between this and the Droid. The resolution still looks crisp. I don't notice any choppiness on curved lines or angles. Its like what was on the Droid... just blown up in size for a 4.3 inch screen. Which, I guess speaks more to how nice the Droid screen was... But I'm starting to believe it was unnecessary. Its like people who have a 1080p HDTV that's about 30". Yeah, its got a great screen, but you aren't going to notice any difference between that and 720p on a screen that small.

As for the HDMI. Yeah, its unfortunate it wasn't included on the device, but it will be included with the Multimedia Dock, so as long as you are able to get your hands on one, it won't be an issue.

hdmi is really the only thing holding me back you are the 2nd person now that said it will be aviable with a dock. can you link me to a confirmation on this i just searched for 30 minutes and have found only people saying hdmi becasue its called a multimedia dock . so ws the droid and it didnt do anything but overheat my phone waste of money.
If it had hdmi id get it today.

JVince

Reaction score
The first two days I had some buyers remorse, but after that I realized how much more powerful this thing was. It's night and day to be honest. I still love my old D1 and it's sitting on my shelf with a charged battery waiting for the day it might get pressed back into service, but for now it's staying on that shelf.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post, buyers remorse included. I haven't regretted it since. The 4G I get at work has hit 40mbps a few times. How can you not lock that in for two years?

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
The first two days I had some buyers remorse, but after that I realized how much more powerful this thing was. It's night and day to be honest. I still love my old D1 and it's sitting on my shelf with a charged battery waiting for the day it might get pressed back into service, but for now it's staying on that shelf.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post, buyers remorse included. I haven't regretted it since. The 4G I get at work has hit 40mbps a few times. How can you not lock that in for two years?

Would you feel the same if 4g wasn't available in your area for 8 months?

JVince

Reaction score

Would you feel the same if 4g wasn't available in your area for 8 months?

Of course not. I was planning on waiting for the Bionic, but with my luck VZW will have tiered data plans and who knows what other additional charges by then. The fact that I have a large 4G area and they're locking in unlimited 4G data on my contract overcame my desire for the more beefy hardware of the Bionic. If I was on 3G the Tbolt would still blow away my droid but the battery may become an issue. Then again I hear on 3G the battery time is fine....