QC 3.0 chargers

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I need a couple of new home/car chargers. No complaints with the QC 2.0 chargers I've used. But am thinking of getting the 3.0 versions. Is anyone using them? And I usually stay with brand names, but wanted to see if anything on Amazon exists I need to look at, and cords to?
Thank you
On Edit...Are there 3.0 charges that allow you to lay your phone on then with no cord? I forget, is that inductive charging?

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There are "Fast charge" QI Wireless Inductive chargers which supply 10 Watts of power, which is more than the standard Wireless QI chargers, however even though it was announced this time last year that we should soon see QI Quick Charge 2.0 chargers (Your Qi charger will soon support 15W fast charging), I've yet to see one. In order to be Quick Charge 2.0 they have to output 15 Watts. I believe the heat involved in such high power output may bring with it a problem in that it could result in overheating and damaging the battery.

This one claims to "unlock the full potential of the pad" with your self-supplied Quick Charge 2.0 wall adapter, but it stops short of saying it will provide full QC 2.0 charging wirelessly. (Choetech Choe Qi is an affordable fast wireless charging pad [Review])

Even Samsung saw this with their Fast Charge wireless charger system such that they felt it warranted a cooling fan. (Samsung's New Fast Charge Wireless Qi Charger May Be The First Smartphone Charger With A Built-In Cooling Fan)

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thank you FoxKat. I think the 3.0 chargers require a newer chipset than my turbo.I appreciate the info.Have a great Father's Day weekend :D:D

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thank you DocK at. I think the 3.0 chargers require a newer chipset than my turbo.I appreciate the info.Have a great Father's Day weekend :D:D
You're welcome and happy Father's day to you too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
My apologies FoxKat! I was shocked when I saw I Swyped "Dok K" I guess that's as close as Swype could figure Yuo FoxKat. I got it corrected. I need to pay closer attention to detail before I hit "post reply":(

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My apologies FoxKat! I was shocked when I saw I Swyped "Dok K" I guess that's as close as Swype could figure Yuo FoxKat. I got it corrected. I need to pay closer attention to detail before I hit "post reply":(
Aww shoot, I was just getting ready to call him DocK all the time. LOL. Just kidding, that did make me chuckle though.

Happy Father's Day to you both!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Aww shoot, I was just getting ready to call him DocK all the time. LOL. Just kidding, that did make me chuckle though.

Happy Father's Day to you both!

Right back at you! Happy Father's day.
lol, you really don't need to worry. I wouldn't think of taking things said here personally. I also always err on the side of caution. I have to believe that anything said by anyone here is never intended to be insulting. Even if it's driven by emotion that's all it is, no malice.

In your case I knew it was an autocorrect typo and so I didn't give it a second thought.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
In reference to Qi inductive charging, I work with this stuff. As of now the Qi specification defines two power profiles, Baseline (5W) and Extended (15W).

The 15W is relatively new and the ICs needed to implement it are hitting the market now. Thus, we should start to see soon the actual charging pads, built around those components.

However, to take advantage of the higher power capability, you need also a receiver IC that can handle it. So it is a combination of having a 15W charging pad and a phone/tablet/other gadget with a built in 15W-capable Qi receiver.

As for the heating issue, a good 5W Qi system has an end to end efficiency around 75%. It means that to have 5W on the receiver side (1A of charging current at 5V), you need to have around 6.7W at the input of the charging pad. The difference, 6.7-5= 1.7W is lost as heat and most of the losses are in the magnetic coupling of the coils, not in the electronics.

I haven't tested yet a 15W system, but assuming similar efficiency, the power loss would be around 5W (20W input are needed to get 15W output). I can see how just the copper in the coil and the coil mechanical assembly may not properly dissipate that kind of power in a small closed enclosure. Hence, the forced cooling via fan.

Last edited:

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I have Purchased a USB C Car Charger,Tronsmart 30W Dual USB Car Charger with Quick Charge 3.0 Technology for LG G5, HTC 10, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X (5V/3A) from Amazon.com and Bought a Anker USB C to Micro USB for my Droid Turbo. I use it on all my Phones with no Issues. Droid Turbo, S6 Edge. Shows Quick Charge and does not get any hotter than my Stock OEM Charger. Been using it since Mid Feb '16. I believe we had it posted here when i got it for $10.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018K7LHBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1