question about returning a bricked/rooted phone

cg735

Reaction score
so my phone was rooted. and now its bricked... it only goes as far as the moto M batwings logo... i can do the X+power button, get to the triangle ! screen and press the search button and get to that screen, and do the factory reset, but it does no good, and the phone turns on to the moto M batwings screen and nothing further...

i called vzw, and my replacement is gonna be here tomorrow...and im giving fedex my old one to send back... but im concerned that they might try to charge me the full price if they see the phone had been rooted...

but will they be able to see that... the phone can only get to the M logo...

am i right in my understanding that for them to be able to do any diagnostic testing on the phone that they will have to flash the phone back to a factory state, therefore rendering anything i may have done a non issue. or will they be able to see that the phone had been rooted despite it not being able to do anything past the M logo?

robertnorton

Reaction score
no they will not no that the phone is rooted they will have to sbf flash the phone and everything will be wiped

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
no they will not no that the phone is rooted they will have to sbf flash the phone and everything will be wiped
This is Horrible Advice - it will not be difficult for the tech persons to see that this device has been Rooted and if you called in in under Warranty for some problems that occurred as a direct or indirect result of Hacking and Rooting your phone - the chances of them charging you full price on the replacement device are very high

OP
C

cg735

Reaction score
well thats two completely contradictory answers, lol.

csimo

Reaction score
Chances are the refurb tech won't even bother to look and see if it was rooted... they'll just load the SBF and see if it works.

But, if the tech for some reason decides to see if it was rooted and finds that it was... Verizon will put the full $595 (or whatever it is for that model) on your bill.

You've got better than 50/50 odds, but there's still a chance they will catch it.

OP
C

cg735

Reaction score
how would the tech go about trying to see if it had been rooted?

jcrompton

Reaction score
The phone can be "rooted" by an easily available Android Market application called x4root (which I did with mine). I would forget about whether the tech can tell or not, send it back and don't worry about it.

If rooting were some secret destructive process then I'd worry but it didn't hurt the phone and it is something that can be done OTA via the Android Market (just play dumb) - no worries

strandedhuman

Reaction score
So did you send your phone back? Did verizon contact you at all regarding the root? I'm having the same problem and want to be able to return my phone but I don't want to be charged full price...

OP
C

cg735

Reaction score
as of now they have had the phone back for more than 24 hrs, and my bill is at the level it should be. and the situation is over.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
and ima guess your rooting experience is now over, atleast until u get an sbf....

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If rooting were some secret destructive process then I'd worry but it didn't hurt the phone and it is something that can be done OTA via the Android Market (just play dumb) - no worries

While I agree with playing dumb, does the OP's phone work OK now that it's rooted? I would call it hurting the phone in this case.

swagmonster

Reaction score
So I was givin a defective phone and I rooted it, the phone crashed wouldn't boot past m screen its been about two weeks since I returned my phone am I safe to assume that this would be horrible nightmare is over?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

strandedhuman

Reaction score
What precautions did you take? Did you wipe your sdcard beforing sending it in?

I will check back with you in a week to see if everything is still good with verizon. I really need to get my phone fixed!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I was givin a defective phone and I rooted it, the phone crashed wouldn't boot past m screen its been about two weeks since I returned my phone am I safe to assume that this would be horrible nightmare is over?
Are you saying your phone was defective before you rooted it - and then after you rooted it, it wouldn't boot past the (M) and that is a direct result of the phone being defective and not from hacking on it ?

Did it boot past the (M) before you rooted it ?

swagmonster

Reaction score
Ok so I noticed something was up sd was not worrking correctly figured maybe its a bug factory reset worked fine for a day next day sd card messed up again, that weekend I rooted sd still wasn't working right formated sd card several times, whent to the website doenloaded the sd card formater did it again finally booted in recvoery formated sd and system wamo won't boot

Would boot while being rooted diddnt work after system reset I played dumb with vz I was still within my 30 day. Return policy

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App