Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Question I was told by someone that the option to change the Font style is not in the settings. Is this true?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

True. You can change the size but not font. At least that I've noticed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

72ad463d73116568c5ede0efcf7a6b63.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've never owned a Nexus, so will ask this. Can you change the phone font in stock Android on a Nexus? Ever since Moto went vanilla Android in 2013 there is no option to change the basic system font, only the size as previously mentioned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We used to flash font files in recovery on previous Nexus ...but can you try iFont let me know if it works on Play Store

iPhone Seven Plus

We used to flash font files in recovery on previous Nexus ...but can you try iFont let me know if it works on Play Store

iPhone Seven Plus
Only works with root and since I'm not .....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Only works with root and since I'm not .....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking I forgot if you needed root for that app but makes sense now ..you are modifying system on phone ...

iPhone Seven Plus

Yeah. No option to change fonts without root. That's a Samsung/other OEMs with skins thing.

Not something I ever did, but I know many with those phones love to do it. I'm not a fan of squiggly letters all over everything. Robot works for me.

That said, without root, I don't think you're changing the typeface on a stock android phone.

Like BK said, you're changing the system itself when you do it without a phone that supports it as a regular settings feature. Not really sure how they do it. I would assume it's just baked into their custom image to allow support for other fonts.

Couldn't you change the Font with a app?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
In theory, you might be able to overlay a new font on top of the system font with some trickery, but I think it'd be a complete resource hog as it's reading the screen and writing over every other app...

That's why I'd guess that Samsung and others have that option baked in at the system level and why you need root to do it on a stock phone. Easier to replace the font file that the system looks for than to try and override it in every single app you'd open.

Back