Questions about rooting

Rokin

Reaction score
So with the Dinc2 root coming, i thought id ask some questions before deciding to do it.

1. Is the rooting process pretty straight forward and hard to mess up? I use to root PSP's and what not, so i'm hoping its similar?

2. Can you brick your phone from rooting?

3. I have insurance on my phone with Verizon, and i'm wondering if i will be able to factory reset it when its rooted if i need to mail it in to get fixed. Can they still detect that i had "tampered" with the phone?

4. If i root my phone, can I always go back to the stock OS I had?

rectorc08

Reaction score
So with the Dinc2 root coming, i thought id ask some questions before deciding to do it.

1. Is the rooting process pretty straight forward and hard to mess up? I use to root PSP's and what not, so i'm hoping its similar?

3. I have insurance on my phone with Verizon, and i'm wondering if i will be able to factory reset it when its rooted if i need to mail it in to get fixed. Can they still detect that i had "tampered" with the phone?

1. Rooting is pretty straight forward. There are plenty of tutorials on how to root any Android phone for that matter.

2. Yes, you can brick your phone, but there are ways you can get around it if you do. The important aspect of this is to make sure you know what your doing first and read up on tutorials and threads. Another key aspect is to make sure you have a charged battery. Most of the times, the battery goes dead during a flash and it's bricked.

To answer questions 3 and 4. To SPF back to your stock ROM, you will need to obtain the original VZW .sbf (Either it being the .sbf shipped, or the most current .sbf the phone is running stock). Insurance and Verizon can and most likely will detect this, which does void your warranty unless you SPF back to the stock ROM.

Good luck and remember, the key to rooting your phone is to read tutorials and know what your doing first. Once you get that down, your golden to flashing and rooting! dancedroid

kingsway8605

Reaction score

The incredible 2 currently doesn't have a way of rooting unless you are willing to order something for about a 100 dollars.

Sent from my Droid Bionic

darinr80

Reaction score
I just rooted successfully. It rocks. Droid Incredible 2.

OP
Rokin

Rokin

Reaction score
So whats the best way of getting a back up of my stock rom? The only thing holding me back from rooting, is i don't want to waste my insurance if i break phone and they wont fix it.

darinr80

Reaction score
If anyone wants, PM me or send your email address and I'll show you how I rooted my DINC 2.

rudyutz

Reaction score
So whats the best way of getting a back up of my stock rom? The only thing holding me back from rooting, is i don't want to waste my insurance if i break phone and they wont fix it.

Same Question

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Your Nandroid backup will be an exact mirror of your ROM to reload before warranty. Now, Alpharev is working on the process for turning S-ON back on, so that's not completely in place, but will be, I imagine. Gut feeling, if you just reload the stock, you'll be fine.

darinr80

Reaction score
Good question, how do you go back to unroot? I guess I'll wait for Alpharev to release S-on?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Good question, how do you go back to unroot? I guess I'll wait for Alpharev to release S-on?

Keep in mind, if you accept the GB update that is supposed to start rolling tomorrow unrooted, you won't be able to root again until a new process is established. The method alpha has now will no longer work.

rudyutz

Reaction score
Your Nandroid backup will be an exact mirror of your ROM to reload before warranty. Now, Alpharev is working on the process for turning S-ON back on, so that's not completely in place, but will be, I imagine. Gut feeling, if you just reload the stock, you'll be fine.

Two things: If i use this version of alpha will i be able to go back to S-ON once the new version is released. Second your nandroid backup always is on your phone right?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Two things: If i use this version of alpha will i be able to go back to S-ON once the new version is released. Second your nandroid backup always is on your phone right?

They should have S-ON soon. They don't yet. But once you have S-OFF and they release S-ON, you'll be able to go back no matter what ROM you're on.

And yes, the Nandroid does typically stay on your phone but you can also save another copy to your desktop or laptop hard drive to be safe.

rudyutz

Reaction score

They should have S-ON soon. They don't yet. But once you have S-OFF and they release S-ON, you'll be able to go back no matter what ROM you're on.

And yes, the Nandroid does typically stay on your phone but you can also save another copy to your desktop or laptop hard drive to be safe.

As you can tell, I am new to Droid. How do i save the nandroid backup to the hardrive?