Quick question about the Droid 2

they call me d

Reaction score
So I'm about to be getting a new contract with verizon and was thinking about getting a droid, because lets be honest, who doesn't want a droid? Was looking into it and I saw I could get a BoGo on the Droid 2 for my brother and I for only $200 which is a pretty good deal IMO. But the problem I have is it says we need to have a data plan with the phone. What if I don't want the data plan? I know all the apps and such require OTA data but don't the apps work on a wifi connection also? Cuz I have wifi pretty much everywhere I go in life between home, work, and school. So I have no need for any data plans in the 20 minutes I'm driving between the places.

So to sum it up, do I need a data plan to make the apps work or will wifi suffice?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wifi will work however the deal for the phones may specify that the contract you sign needs to include a data plan. I could be imagining things but I thought that was part of the deal.

tappin and a talkin

OP
T

they call me d

Reaction score
yeah I figured they would sneak in a commitment plan with that. So think the data plan would be a 2 year commitment like the rest of the contract or just that I have to activate the data plan at time of start up. Cuz if its the latter then I will just cancel it a week later. Idk I just hate having the corporations forcing me to pay for **** I don't need.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not too sure about the specifics. You may be able to get away with not adding it at all and you might be able to sneak by with a limited data plan at a discounted price. I tend to play it by ear, my last phone (env touch) also supposedly required being tied to at least some sort of data plan, but when I got my droid 2 I gave it to a friend of mine and after they told him he'd have to upgrade to a data plan he said
"But I don't want to do that."
To which they responded,
"Yeah whatever I don't really care, pick which ever plan you want"
So I'm always a little skeptical of how much they stick to those rules.

tappin and a talkin

OP
T

they call me d

Reaction score
Not too sure about the specifics. You may be able to get away with not adding it at all and you might be able to sneak by with a limited data plan at a discounted price. I tend to play it by ear, my last phone (env touch) also supposedly required being tied to at least some sort of data plan, but when I got my droid 2 I gave it to a friend of mine and after they told him he'd have to upgrade to a data plan he said
"But I don't want to do that."
To which they responded,
"Yeah whatever I don't really care, pick which ever plan you want"
So I'm always a little skeptical of how much they stick to those rules.

tappin and a talkin
Hmm I was kind of hoping that would happen. Thats why I'm going to one of those local sellers in a strip mall and not the main VZW building in town. I think I may be able to make something happen, even if it is only a like $5 plan for next to no data. As long as the WiFi makes my apps work and it doesn't use OTA minutes I'll be fine with that. Thx for the help man, I'm going in tomorrow so I'll post back with what happens.

DC 1127

Reaction score
That will save you lots of money because data plans dont really go under the cheap category. However, some apps will use data even when you arent on them. If you have a weather app for example, it might update every 2 hours or so which uses data.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah all the above is pretty much true.....Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, and probably all others require a data plan