Removing malware

cadre.9

Reaction score
Hi. A Bitdefender scan on my Note 3 reveals the following malware: com.android.vending.apk- trojan.mseg.gpnt. However, the app is unable to remove it. Is this a legitimate threat? If so, how can I get rid of it?

Thanks.

Had you enabled installing third party apps and have you in fact sideloaded anything? That may be a false positive as the file is supposed to be legit if you didn't modify anything.

That is actually supposed to be the Play Store app.

I'd try another anti-virus and see if that has any luck. I've never actually had a virus scanner find anything on my android devices.

Do you sideload apps from third-party sites/app stores very often?

Had you enabled installing third party apps and have you in fact sideloaded anything? That may be a false positive as the file is supposed to be legit if you didn't modify anything.

That is actually supposed to be the Play Store app.
Agreed, except for the trojan part, but again, allowing installs from unknown sources in the settings menu is great for certain things, but leaves you vulnerable if you don't know anything about the apps you're sideloading.

If no anti-virus can fix the issue, a factory reset, in theory should take care of it, because it should revert you back to the version of the app that came with the device or the last OS update you installed.

I've never installed anything outside of the Play Store. In fact, except for Google Drive I haven't installed anything new in a while.

I once saw an app download and install itself from a website. It was on my device and I promptly uninstalled when my phone was acting weird!

I agree with @Jonny Kansas FDR the beast away!! Make sure you back up your data!! ;)

Are you with verizon? They have a new app called vzprotect and it typically gets rid of anything like this

And if not... FDR.. Here you come..

Last edited:
I do have Verizon. I'll check out vzprotect before going the reset route.

Thank you very much.

I do have Verizon. I'll check out vzprotect before going the reset route.

Thank you very much.
I believe vzprotect is powered by AVG or one of the other well-known anti-virus companies, but yeah. If an anti-virus program can't get rid of it, FDR.

I would be SAFE in this case...
Spend the extra hour of time and make sure I wiped everything back to stock and remove it...viruses are tricky!!

Yes...That it's true! But if you are already looking @ an FDR...and stock! Might as well make it perfect!! Wouldn't you agree? All of my settings and pics are backed up with Kies and Google! I never have a problem.... but I gave up on rooting and keeping things right! Though..I do have the knowledge! ;)

Last edited:
Back