ROM Manager backup causes reboot?

born2golf

Reaction score
Hi All, I rooted my D2 last night with the 1-click method and it worked great. I am now trying to backup my ROM with the ROM Manager premium. When I click on "Backup Current ROM", the device just reboots. It doesn't appear to do anything else? Can anyone offer some insight on this?

Also, I have used Titanium backup which seems to be running OK. If I have that, so I even need the ROM manager Backup?

Thanks in advance.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Back up your rom in the recovery mode not through rom manager.

spdivr1122

Reaction score
Yeah even if you wanna backup you have to do it in recovery mode. Rom manger just sends you there

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score
OK, so when it is rebooting, it is really trying to put me into recovery mode? Am I supposed to be pressing any buttons during the boot to facilitate this? Because the reboot seems to put me right back where I was in the first place.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
with the bootstrap rom click the first option then click reboot recovery.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
In some cases the D2 can "forget" that Clockwork Recovery is there and just reboot...

To fix it I open the Bootstrap app, and select bootstrap. After the "successful" message you should then be able to launch a backup from ROM Manager...I do it all the time.

The nice part about doing it from ROM Manager is that ROM Manager lets you name the backup (or you can let it just use the normal date/time name) and reboots the phone back to Android after doing the backup.

Give it another try - boostrap first to re-connect your D2 to CW Recovery, then try Backup in ROM Manager.

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score
Did you download ClockworkMod Recovery?

I believe I did that from the ROM Manager console. In the ROM manager menu there is a "recovery" subsection, and it states that my currently recovery is clockworkmod 2.5.0.8 and then next menu item states "reboot into recovery".

it is when I select that reboot option that I don't think anything is happening.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Launch the Droid 2 Bootstrap application.

Select the Bootstrap option.

Then launch ROM Manager and use the Backup option.

OP
B

born2golf

Reaction score
In some cases the D2 can "forget" that Clockwork Recovery is there and just reboot...

To fix it I open the Bootstrap app, and select bootstrap. After the "successful" message you should then be able to launch a backup from ROM Manager...I do it all the time.

The nice part about doing it from ROM Manager is that ROM Manager lets you name the backup (or you can let it just use the normal date/time name) and reboots the phone back to Android after doing the backup.

Give it another try - boostrap first to re-connect your D2 to CW Recovery, then try Backup in ROM Manager.

OK, I think I am straightened out. I did not have the bootstrap recovery, and when I got it I followed your instructions and now it appears to be backing up. I have a progress indicator zipping across the screen right now. THANKS.

stabl4life82

Reaction score
how i get in recovery with clockwork cause i had a few problems before is..i flash clockwork then ill flash sprecovery then ill flash clockwork 2 more times just to make sure the flashing works cause sometimes it doesnt...then instaed of backup current rom..i go right under flash clockwork and hit reboot into recovery and it works every time for me now....hope that helps ...last resort power off ur phone and hold sown the x and power button and it should go into recovery

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Power up w/X will always launch the stock recovery on the D2 (different than on the D1) - Stock recovery is always still there w/the D2 for now, even if you have CW Recovery installed. It will be that way until the bootloader is unlocked and we don't have to use the bootstrap method to make CW Recovery available.

To boot into Clockwork recovery from power up on the D2:

- Turn on
- Pull battery when boot animation appears after M moto logo goes away
- Put battery back in and turn on again
- Phone will boot into CW Recovery

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
how i get in recovery with clockwork cause i had a few problems before is..i flash clockwork then ill flash sprecovery then ill flash clockwork 2 more times just to make sure the flashing works cause sometimes it doesnt...then instaed of backup current rom..i go right under flash clockwork and hit reboot into recovery and it works every time for me now....hope that helps ...last resort power off ur phone and hold sown the x and power button and it should go into recovery

The fastest way on the D2 is just open the Bootstrap app and hit the Bootstrap button again...I've never had that fail to make Clockwork recovery launch as expected again from ROM Manager.