Developer
Reaction score
OP
myfishbear

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
its a sfx self extracting exe made by winrar... dl all 3 in 1 dir and run the exe or open it with winrar and it should extract 1 zip. guidot knows what it is... bty i use kaspersky 2012 so i know its virus free...

cosmicanomaly

Reaction score
verification failed

saved the extracted zip to the root of the SD card, rebooted into recovery, chose apply update from sdcard, found the zip file. i get:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

OP
myfishbear

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
saved the extracted zip to the root of the SD card, rebooted into recovery, chose apply update from sdcard, found the zip file. i get:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
thanks... got to resign the zip file let me do that and ill repost.
- update windows blows at signing zips and apks so im going to install ubuntu in my laptop just to sign it. i got company over and cant reach my desktop without being rude so it may take a couple hours

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hi my D4 is stuck in the bootloader, somehow i screwed it up and tried the file...didn't work. I get an error that the xml file in the system/etc doesn't match the image files or is the wrong format. Not sure what's up with that, but thanks for the effort. Tried with RSD and using moto-fastboot in command window.

OP
myfishbear

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hi my D4 is stuck in the bootloader, somehow i screwed it up and tried the file...didn't work. I get an error that the xml file in the system/etc doesn't match the image files or is the wrong format. Not sure what's up with that, but thanks for the effort. Tried with RSD and using moto-fastboot in command window.
thank you it got me thinking i should just make a flashable update of just the system apps because most who bricked their d4s did removing those apps. ill get ubuntu going and in the meantime ill clean it up

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Mine is probably worse with all the trying to fix it crap i have done. Should have waited until the recovery file was out, no patience. I can only get to the bootloader.

dharmapunk

Reaction score
thank you it got me thinking i should just make a flashable update of just the system apps because most who bricked their d4s did removing those apps. ill get ubuntu going and in the meantime ill clean it up

yeah i was being dumb and accidentally removed the stock mobile hotspot app, now i can't get any 3rd party ones to run. so yeah something to help reinstall that and other system apps would be super slick. i'm sure knowing that we could easily restore any needed system apps so the device gets an update would be useful for tons of people so we could just remove the bloat and use imaginary wonder tool to reinstall them when update time comes round.

in my defense i misunderstood how titanium backup's freeze feature works. thought that made a backup, not that a backup was a seperate operation. saw some thing that made me think i can work around paying for tether by putting the stock hotspot in user mode and clearing the application default, then freezing, so i'm not doing this just to be dumb or anything.

was able to find the hotspotlauncher.odex and hotspotlauncher.apk from a stock rom, trying to run from device (after enable install from non-market sources) immediately gets error "application not installed"

any advice on how to reinstall stock mobile hotspot app on droid 4 much appreciated.

OP
myfishbear

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
yeah i was being dumb and accidentally removed the stock mobile hotspot app, now i can't get any 3rd party ones to run. so yeah something to help reinstall that and other system apps would be super slick. i'm sure knowing that we could easily restore any needed system apps so the device gets an update would be useful for tons of people so we could just remove the bloat and use imaginary wonder tool to reinstall them when update time comes round.

in my defense i misunderstood how titanium backup's freeze feature works. thought that made a backup, not that a backup was a seperate operation. saw some thing that made me think i can work around paying for tether by putting the stock hotspot in user mode and clearing the application default, then freezing, so i'm not doing this just to be dumb or anything.

was able to find the hotspotlauncher.odex and hotspotlauncher.apk from a stock rom, trying to run from device (after enable install from non-market sources) immediately gets error "application not installed"

any advice on how to reinstall stock mobile hotspot app on droid 4 much appreciated.
the best bet is to
1.root your phone.
2.install root explorer.
3.copy the needed files to your sd card(apk, odex)
4.navigate to /system/app with root explorer
5.change the folder to rw from ro
6.copy the odex and apk from your sdcard to /system/app
7.change premissons of odex and apk to rw-r-r
8.change the folder back to ro
9.reboot

dharmapunk

Reaction score
the best bet is to
1.root your phone.
2.install root explorer.
3.copy the needed files to your sd card(apk, odex)
4.navigate to /system/app with root explorer
5.change the folder to rw from ro
6.copy the odex and apk from your sdcard to /system/app
7.change premissons of odex and apk to rw-r-r
8.change the folder back to ro
9.reboot

Thanks much, I'll let you know how this goes after work today. I'm not 100% sure that those 2 files are the only ones needed but we'll see.

dharmapunk

Reaction score
that was so easy i didn't even wait till after work!

my hotspot is back, yaaay! dancedroid

thanks again and you rock! :hail:

PS i used rootbrowser instead of rootexplorer since it's free.