Rooting Droid X2

Staceylt40

Reaction score
Okay, so a few days ago I decided I wanted to root my phone. I am no longer under contract and am eligible for an upgrade (I REALLY want the Note 2). My phone is out of warranty and I think I have the nerve up to do it now. :biggrin:

I have done so much reading on why, how, do this, don't do this.... that I have totally confused myself completely. I don't wanna ruin my phone. so.... can someone send me (or give to me) ONE place to get all I need? Instructions? I am not super tech savvy, but I am not a dumb redneck either. (not that rednecks are bad.... I am married to the best of the best lol)

From all my reading and information gathering I have learned that the phone I am on is important...? okay, so I have a Droid X2 Version 2.3.5, System version 1.3.418 MB870, Verizon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: A couple things that I can't see to get a positive answer to are:

1.... After the root is successful, do I have to do the 228 thing with Verizon to reactivate my phone?
2.... Do I lose all of my apps, contacts, etc?
3.... Will I have the option to have the newest update? Jellybean?

Edit 2: Is it really as easy as this....? http://theunlockr.com/2012/09/20/how-to-root-the-droid-x2-on-android-2-3-5/

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Okay, so a few days ago I decided I wanted to root my phone. I am no longer under contract and am eligible for an upgrade (I REALLY want the Note 2). My phone is out of warranty and I think I have the nerve up to do it now. :biggrin:

I have done so much reading on why, how, do this, don't do this.... that I have totally confused myself completely. I don't wanna ruin my phone. so.... can someone send me (or give to me) ONE place to get all I need? Instructions? I am not super tech savvy, but I am not a dumb redneck either. im a dumb redneck, but ill see what i can do :wink (not that rednecks are bad.... I am married to the best of the best lol)

From all my reading and information gathering I have learned that the phone I am on is important...? yes you must use the root method made for your phone and version okay, so I have a Droid X2 Version 2.3.5, System version 1.3.418 MB870, Verizon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: A couple things that I can't see to get a positive answer to are:

1.... After the root is successful, do I have to do the 228 thing with Verizon to reactivate my phone? absolutely not
2.... Do I lose all of my apps, contacts, etc? no
3.... Will I have the option to have the newest update? Jellybean? root does nothing but enable super user permissions on your phone. it will be the same as it is now, and get whatever updates that are pushed to it, same as everyone else. that doesn't mean you will get jelly bean, you can only get what is pushed by verizon.

Edit 2: Is it really as easy as this....? How to Root the Droid X2 on Android 2.3.5 - TheUnlockr yes, it looks like its easy as that. its not always that easy for every phone, but in your case, those instructions look fine.

^^ :)

OP
Staceylt40

Staceylt40

Reaction score
I seem to be rooted. Super user icon there and so forth. No apps in Super User... don't know if that means anything.

My only issue is I have no connection. Well I do through my wifi, but none otherwise. any ideas on how to fix that? I know its probably a simple solution, but I can't seem to find it.

Edit: I fixed it.

OP
Staceylt40

Staceylt40

Reaction score
Okay, so now I am rooted. WooHoo! ummm, what do I do now? lol Remind me again why I wanted to do this? ha

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I seem to be rooted. Super user icon there and so forth. No apps in Super User... don't know if that means anything.

My only issue is I have no connection. Well I do through my wifi, but none otherwise. any ideas on how to fix that? I know its probably a simple solution, but I can't seem to find it.

Edit: I fixed it.

there wont be any apps listed in the su app, until you download and use a root app.

glad you got it working :)

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Okay, so now I am rooted. WooHoo! ummm, what do I do now? lol Remind me again why I wanted to do this? ha

dont know, why did you want to do this? lol

you could install a custom recovery, which is kinda like root, anticlimactic.
or you could find a nice rom to flash, now that is where you will see your work pay off.
both will require you to do some more reading before hand to understand what your about to do.
but the process is only slightly more involved than rooting, although you will have to wipe the phone before installing a rom.

OP
Staceylt40

Staceylt40

Reaction score
dont know, why did you want to do this? lol

you could install a custom recovery, which is kinda like root, anticlimactic.
or you could find a nice rom to flash, now that is where you will see your work pay off.
both will require you to do some more reading before hand to understand what your about to do.
but the process is only slightly more involved than rooting, although you will have to wipe the phone before installing a rom.

oh the excitement of a new toy.... Off to read.

Thanks for your help!! :)

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
1- 2.3.5: root with magic md5, you will not need to reactivate, or lose any data
--2.3.4 root with pete's root tools
2 follow my 'before you flash a rom', to backup your data
3 because of the locked bootloader
a. flash eclipse 2.3, it's gingerbread but the best rom for dx2
b. if you want a jellybean rom, or any rom other than eclipse, you need to flash back to 2.3.4, use 2.3.4 sbf and rsd lite, or ezSBF

if you flash a sbf you will need to reroot

use the links in my list
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for Droid X2

edit: added root for 2.3.4 pete's

also I have a thread sticky'd on this site 'how to root 2.3.5'

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Staceylt40

Staceylt40

Reaction score
Very good info. but I am a big ole chicken. LOL!! I did good to get it rooted. I was a nervous wreck the whole time. but so far everything seems to be running smoothly. Not quite so laggy after I tweaked. Or I guess I did. I did something with the couple apps I installed. I am not gonna jinx it though. LOL In a couple weeks I think I will be going to the Note 2 and maybe then I will play with this one. When I know there is no fear of me being without my life line. HA!

1- 2.3.5: root with magic md5, you will not need to reactivate, or lose any data
--2.3.4 root with pete's root tools
2 follow my 'before you flash a rom', to backup your data
3 because of the locked bootloader
a. flash eclipse 2.3, it's gingerbread but the best rom for dx2
b. if you want a jellybean rom, or any rom other than eclipse, you need to flash back to 2.3.4, use 2.3.4 sbf and rsd lite, or ezSBF

if you flash a sbf you will need to reroot

use the links in my list
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for Droid X2

edit: added root for 2.3.4 pete's

also I have a thread sticky'd on this site 'how to root 2.3.5'

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Gotta go at your own pace. :)

That being said the X2 is solid. You really have to try in order to mess it up.

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Tapatalk 4

newbroot83

Reaction score
Gotta go at your own pace. :)

That being said the X2 is solid. You really have to try in order to mess it up.

I mustve tried really hard. I still havent got my x2 back running smh

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I can probably help you. Who is your carrier and what's the problem?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
few things that can make the Droid X2 (MB810) unusable
hardware failure
flashing the Milestone X2 (MB867) sbf, changes the radio, and burns an efuse, so you can not go back to Droid X2 firmware

as long as those two things don't happen, flashing a DX2 sbf (firmware), will restore the phone to working order