RUMOR: Galaxy S II coming to Verizon July 21st?

jonnyc

Reaction score
See the below link I found today, written today (so it's not from last month where the verizon rep misqouted the tablet release). I know it's coming to Bell in Canada on the 21st and originally thought they had their carriers wrong or it was a mistype, but they state Verizon a few times. Anyone know how reliable Headline News is? I've seen a few stories from them that people have talked about in the past, so I'm hoping they are legit. They don't give the reason or source as to why they believe it will be coming the 21st though.

USA Samsung Galaxy S2 Release Date at Verizon on July 21st | Headline News

mendy817

Reaction score
what worries me about those dates is that i set up a google alert for "samsung galaxy s2 verizon" and it seems every article i get is from "headline news" or "ibtimes." 2 places i've never heard of before.

REALLY hoping its true though, i'm eligible for an update on july 28th and i was waffling between the gs2 or bionic... but 4g on the gs2 would be the icing for me

OP
J

jonnyc

Reaction score
Im with you. BTW - I had previously been searching using the keywords "Samsung Galaxy S 2 us" and most recently changed to "Samsung Galaxy S II us" and have been getting a lot more info/results using the 2nd one. You may want to revise/update yours.

Agreed on both your points. I don't know if I should trust or not trust those sites and I'm already eligble for an upgrade from my OG Droid and have to make a decision soon as I'm in a love/hate relationship with my current phone. Fast sometimes, slow most times. Can't take it much longer. 4G SG2 would make my decision very easy.

mendy817

Reaction score
thanks jonnyc, just revised the alert.
out of curiosity i did a whois on both those sites, ibtimes is registered in nyc (7 hanover square to be exact)

but headline news is out of some insanely rural place in griffin, georgia. so... yeah.

OP
J

jonnyc

Reaction score
i wonder if headline news is in any way affiliated with headline news out of CNN. Doesn't seem like it, but don't know how they would be able to keep going without CNN telling them to cease and desist.

kingrahat

Reaction score
I have been dying to get this phone. Its literally been a source of sadness/annoyance/anger that there hasnt been any information on this phone - not even rumors! I hope this ones true

#firstworldproblems

mendy817

Reaction score
i'm hearing the article isn't true at all... also, found out that the way headlinenews.net gets their information is from random press releases... in other words, anyone can send them an article, as long as its under 200 words and has no more than 1 photo and they'll post it as an "article." they optimize all posts for search engines so that when you search for a product you end up on their site... pretty much the most illegitimate way report on the news

OP
J

jonnyc

Reaction score
haha, awesome. How about IBT? They seem to be more legit than Headline News. I should send in a newsletter in 200 words why I hate them for getting my hopes up!

anuraj1

Reaction score
International Business Times (IBT) is one of the least reliable sites out there. They just repost crazy Android rumors as if they are fact. They still report that the Bionic is going to be the old Etna model. I wish there was a way to get them off my Google News stream.

OP
J

jonnyc

Reaction score
Well - I'm not completely surprised by what you guys are saying. What a sad day for me.

bigdad63

Reaction score
That's another reason it's important to know grammar folks; no reputable news site would put out something with such an amateur look with so many errors. It stinks to have your hopes dashed time after time.

Ted

Reaction score
After weeks and weeks of waiting and wondering, I really thought that the article headline news posted was factual. I imagined that they just got a head start on other news agencies and it would be all over later in the day or the following day.

The writing didn't throw me, either. These days, it seems far too many articles are posted with poor grammar, formatting mistakes, and more than a few hard to read sentences.

Suddenly, I'm pretty depressed - really thought I'd be replacing my Original Droid next week.

*Sigh*

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
"Specs on the phone are alleged to include a variety of storage sizes including 32, 16 or 1 gigabyte in RAM"

Come on,really! Who fell for this?

Das one hella Bamf ta knock the 3 sense in ya!

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure July 21st is a release date for Canada.

International Business Times has been showing up a lot in Google News with regard to Android and Apple info. From having read multiple tech articles on their site, I've concluded they're a crappy sensationalist news site who talks about rumors as if they are facts and writes inflammatory tech editorials, all to generate more click traffic.

I read some of their financial and current events stories to get a feel for their organization. Their article about the debt crisis consisted of a single-page summary, lacking any real depth or insight. There are more advertisements than actual text.