Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Motorla Droid RAZR Feature Showdown!

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
How is 16/32GB internal better then 16GB w/ 16GB MicoSD?

The problem I have with no-sd is that I have tons of my music and videos on my SD CARD.

I guess I can just move them all over from my computer, but I like having to option to expand storage.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
No SD Slot for the Nexus, no removable battery and having bloatware for the Razr.

Pick your poison.

Wait...

No removable battery for the Nexus or for the Razr? Sorry, if I'm not following the wording.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
That's disappointing. I always defended android to iPhone users by saying we have micro SD slots. Looks like Google's getting more in it for the money by having two different models..

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That's disappointing. I always defended android to iPhone users by saying we have micro SD slots. Looks like Google's getting more in it for the money by having two different models..

There are other reasons than money. More efficient memory usage, faster accessing of files, numerous other issues. It isn't necessarily about money.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The problem I have with no-sd is that I have tons of my music and videos on my SD CARD.

I guess I can just move them all over from my computer, but I like having to option to expand storage.

You should look into Google Music Beta. It makes sure that all of your music is available to ALL of your Android devices over the cloud when you add music to any device.

Non removable madia isn't as big a deal as it was 2 years ago.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The camera would be a major factor for me. I use my phone as a camera so much. I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old and neither one of them slow down for a picture. The near zero shutter lag is gold for me. My DX has an 8 megapixel camera but the iPhone 4 camera which is only 5 takes better pictures. I'll take quality over megapixel any day. If the camera on the Nexus is like that, I'll take the 5 megapixel over the 8 on the RAZR. I haven't seen which processor the Nexus has in it other than its a dual core 1.2Ghz processor. I have no issue with 32 gigs of internal storage with no microsd slot. I have a 32 gig microsd in my DX and i only have it casue i swiped it from my wife's Thunderbolt when she got it. I was actually fine with 16gb before i swiped it. I stream my music from Google Music and usually only have a movie or two on my phone for my daughter. Frankly, the Nexus is a better phone because of Ice Cream and I bet the next Android OS will be on it first too since its pure Android and Google has its fingers in it.

LuvMusic

Reaction score
I like both of these phones, just trade-offs between the two. My contract is up in the spring and it looks like a good time to be shopping for a replacement for my Original Droid.

Since both of these phones will be on Verizon, I'm wondering if either of them will be in their "World Phone" category? I travel regularly to Europe and would like my personal phone to work there. Looks like either phone could work. Anybody know the answer?

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like both of these phones, just trade-offs between the two. My contract is up in the spring and it looks like a good time to be shopping for a replacement for my Original Droid.

Since both of these phones will be on Verizon, I'm wondering if either of them will be in their "World Phone" category? I travel regularly to Europe and would like my personal phone to work there. Looks like either phone could work. Anybody know the answer?

According to FCC doc's, the Razr will have the hardware inside to be a world phone, but if all of that hardware will be able to be used by all consumers is a different question.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
As long as I can get either one in the next month on sale as an upgrade somewhere for $199... I was going to get the Bionic, but the Samsung has my interest peaked. I am used to the heft and thickness of my original Droid. I only wish the screen was bigger so the damn touch keypad was bigger. Now I can get that. I've never taken the micro SD card out, so as long as I can connect via the USB to my pc, I have no issues with the Samsung.

I've never rooted my Droid, so the thought of having a slower processor that can be sped up sounds appealing. Need to learn a bunch! I'm just super excited to be able to get the 4G LTE!!! Internet on my Droid is slow as a dog, and streaming music sucks sometimes too.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If anything, I would underclock my new Droid to save battery life, and keep the temperature down. An underclocked dual core 1ghz phone is way faster than an overclocked 1.2 Ghz single core phone.

also...

I searched and search and searched, but couldn't find an hdmi out for the GNex. How did they share the video between the phone and the super large demo display, without hdmi out?

I think I need hdmi out, mostly because it's been a coveted feature of new phones since getting my OGD.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Either I'm in denial or no one's fully explained yet. The RAZR looks like the phone for me, but I'm finding it hard to understand how Ice Cream Sandwich will work on it with it having capacitive buttons. My understanding of ICS was that it was supposed to standardize the Google software on all upcoming phones, but from the looks of things, it seems as though ICS would have to be modified for the RAZR. You'd think when you dump millions of dollars into something you make it forward compatible or "future ready." I guess like others have pointed out, it'll come down to walking in the store and playing with them both; not gonna gamble and buy either flat out online like I did with the OG. I can get past it not having NFC and MAYBE not having a removable battery (which is very painful, I like the idea of being able to completely sever power to "the machine" at a moments notice) but not being able to smoothly integrate an OS that's practically right at our doorstep is almost unacceptable.

mikespe

Reaction score
Here's my question...looking at the Razr's specs it's not THAT much different than the Bionic...just slight tweaks here & there but not enough to make me want to sell the Bionic & get the Razr...The Nexus is definitely got a bit more under the hood (from reading specs & seeing video...but as we all know holding them in hand is the real test!)......ICS is the REAL big factor in comparing the 3 phones....however if the Bionic will be getting ICS (it has all the specs) & supposedly the Razr will be getting ICS..Based on this the Razr is out of the running because of the non-interchangeable battery (flashing new roms might be more difficult wit this phone)

Now it comes down to the Nexus & the Bionic...well I already have a flawless Bionic (none of the problems others are having) ....will it really be worth getting a Nexus (PLUS we don't even know what carrier will be getting the Nexus...all of us Verizon members expect it to be us but to get 3 hot phones all at once (4 if you include the iPhone 4s) is really stacking the deck. One of these will have to be going to AT&T or T-Mobile or they just might have to fold! Also Sprint could be a possibility!

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If anything, I would underclock my new Droid to save battery life, and keep the temperature down. An underclocked dual core 1ghz phone is way faster than an overclocked 1.2 Ghz single core phone.

also...

I searched and search and searched, but couldn't find an hdmi out for the GNex. How did they share the video between the phone and the super large demo display, without hdmi out?

I think I need hdmi out, mostly because it's been a coveted feature of new phones since getting my OGD.

See this post http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ce-cream-sandwich-launched-3.html#post1796013 about the HDMI.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The way i look at it is this, Nexus wins. why?
  • -The OS: Motoblur for one. They force it upon you which peeves me. Nexus wins! ICS FTW! Razr has GB, and OEM updates take such a long time. Nexus devices usually get updates really fast after its released.
  • -Bloatware, really peeves me. nexus wins!
  • -splashguard, Razr wins! im totally jealous on that one.
  • -Thickness, Razr wins, but i personally dont care about this as long as device feels right.
  • -Screen, Nexus wins! They didnt have to add to many mm to the device from 4.3 since they got tiny bezel and made it 16 by 9 ratio.
  • -Battery, IDK who wins, well know that when we get the results of many peeps using it. Essentially the same battery in Mah.
  • -Processor, Nexus wins with an underclocked 4460, Razr has an overclocked 4430. (thats still speculation, neither company released official processor info on the clock speed and dual core.)[the nexus being a dev device will also be able to overclocked to 1.5 ghz with ease because thats what the 4460 was designed for and they wont fight you when you start hacking it like moto.)
  • -Hackability goes to the nexus by far, Moto is locked down. You might get some workarounds eventually on Razr but the nexus will be very hackable right out of the gate. I would imagine the developers roming the nexus like crazy becuase this is the first vanilla device since the D1 (their is the xoom but thats a tab)
  • -Bootloader, Nexus wins! I am assuming its unlocked though. Havent confirmed. Razr definitely locked.
  • -Camera is an unknown.. I think the promptness of the photos in nexus is better then a 8mp camera with a lag in shutter speed but i really dont know the speed of Razr camera... Im leaning nexus but i dont think youll go wrong with the Razr camera. Tie?
  • -Mini HDMI, Razr wins, i dont see one on the nexus. :(
  • -DLNA, Razr has it nexus doesnt seem to. Razr wins!
  • -Ruggedness, idk... Razr is definitly rugged but the nexus looks like it can take some drops. we will know after those drop test vids blog sites usually do.
  • -NFC:Nexus Wins, its an ehhh point for me as i dont share my stuff but it would be cool to pay like that.
  • -Both have Gorilla glass.
For me the fact i can hack my device and overclock it to 1.5ghz or underclock it to lower speeds without it exploding is a plus. Overclocking a 4430 processor designed for 1 ghz to 1.5ghz would kind of be rough...overheat much? lol. Im going for the nexus, but the Vigor still needs to show up and show off its goodies for me to confirm that. Razr is definitely tempting****Moto just released processor info and its a 4460. So razr is tied when it comes to nexus when it comes to that.