Samsung Galaxy SII Prototype Previewed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;s0x8-IeGzFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0x8-IeGzFk&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

The Galaxy SII, Samsung's primary dual-core competitor to the LG Optimus 2x, Motorola Atrix 4G and Motorola DROID Bionic, just got a pretty in-depth preview over at mobile-review.com. They included some slick video demos, comparing it to the previous Galaxy S, and we wanted to share them with you. The audio on these demos is in Russian, but the video's themselves still show off some cool stuff. This device is really loaded with features. Samsung is taking this one very seriously, since this is their flagship product, and throwing everything they can 'under the hood'. From the preview at mobile-review, it looks like it has a few draw-backs, but will still be a serious 'contender' in the 'super-phone' market of the future. Here's a new list of features:
  • 4.3" SuperAMOLED Plus screen with resolution of 800x480 (16 million colors)
  • VibeZ technology that gives vibration response for every key press
  • NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual-Core CPU or Samsung's own Exynos/Orion Dual-Core CPU (depending on market & manufacturing conditions at time of purchase)
  • 1GB Ram & 16GB Storage with 32GB MicroSD Storage capability
  • 8.5mm Thickness & 4.1oz weight
  • 8MP Rear-facing Camera & 2MP Front-facing Camera
  • 1080p HD Video
  • 1650 mAh Battery (although their preview version was only 1500mAh)
  • Bluetooth
  • WiFI & WiFI Direct
  • NFC
  • Kies via WiFi (check out the video demo of this interesting feature)
  • Movement Control
The only drawbacks that caught the eye, were the plastic back panel because the phone gets pretty hot, and sometimes when closing the back panel it doesn't fit snug and must be re-seated. These seem like minor quibbles...

The guys at mobile-review seemed very impressed with the phone. They indicated that performance was very good, achieving Quadrant scores of between 2000 and 2700 depending on how it was configured. This suggests that performance could be even better with optimization. The article had this to say,
Samsung has created a flagship without any compromises. Unfortunately, there is not a single phone with a similar aggregate of specs or features. The closest to Galaxy S II are the phones base on Nvidia Tegra 2 but they have worse cameras and screens and they are bigger. Amazing, but Samsung has created a flagship with an excellent price to quality ratio for its segment. In a year the phone will still have one of the best functionalities, it won't be outclassed by other phones though there will be more interesting offers from other manufacturers. This phone is positioned as a long term flagship i.e. a phone you buy if you want to keep it for a long time. The life span of this phone on most markets and for most users will be outstanding.

[video=youtube;_qah8q631Jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qah8q631Jk&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Samsung seems to have really 'upped the ante' in 'super-phone' tech. I especially liked the 'Kies via WiFI' functionality that is demonstrated in the second video. Dang... these manufacturers are making it harder and harder to decide on a new phone. What are your thoughts? Is this one worth waiting for?

Source: Android.net via SlashGear and Mobile-Review.com

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Dang what to do : )

These 2 great processors have me sold on this one not to mention Kies and 1GB ram. I would like to see the Exynos/Orion Dual-Core CPU but I will take it with the Tegra 2. Great piece of hardware here.

did he just fart at :28 seconds? LOL

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like he had a live wallpaper running on the new Galaxy II. If he turned that off, I'm sure it would have been even more impressive.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Wow look who showed up : ) good to see you jhank

Sent from my Droid

FallenCow

Reaction score
This thing looks like THE phone to beat! Looks like they fixed the graininess from the pentile arrangement in the SAMOLED display.

Any idea when we might see this on Verizon (hopefully with LTE)?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This thing looks like THE phone to beat! Looks like they fixed the graininess from the pentile arrangement in the SAMOLED display.

Any idea when we might see this on Verizon (hopefully with LTE)?

I do hope so but I've heard early rumors that it's going to AT&T. Keep in mind this rumor is not concrete. This phone is a beast and I do want it.....badly : )

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I will leave Verizon for this--not to AT&T! Hopefully T-Mobile?
I would CONSIDER staying with Verizon depending on if Samsung Releases an equivalent that isn't as far off as the Fascinate was to the original Galaxy S.

I could care less about Samsung's horrible update history. That's why we have Dev's :D

bad4u

Reaction score
+1

hoping This comes to big red. I wouldnt mind going back to Tmo though if needed.

If this phone comes to us soon after the *cough* TB *cough*. I would easily wait for this phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
... I hope we (VZW) won't have to watch this device (yet another premium device) launch first on another carrier...

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty sweet device ,but might be a bit troublesome for heavy users due to the tiny 1600 mAh battery.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Martin I agree..if we have to sit and watch this go to another carrier I will not be a happy camper.

Will prove to me that the iPhone is their top priority.

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty sweet device ,but might be a bit troublesome for heavy users due to the tiny 1600 mAh battery.

tiny???? i beg to differ 1600 mAh is plenty my OG Droid only has a 1420 mAh battery and i can suck 5.5 hrs of continuous usage out of it so 1600 is plenty battery for me