Samsung S3 software/screen issue-how to access files?

sydiamond

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Hello,

I've had so many problems with my S3 recently. About a week ago it deleted all my WhatsApp photos (photos only) and I couldn't replace the WhatsApp Images folder simply because it was still there in the internal storage "physically" but it claimed itself to be nonexistent. About 5 days ago, it started giving com.android.blahblah not working errors and my Gmail app was crashing constantly. (I cannot recall which one it started out with, but the fix had something to do with deleting gmail/hotmail/etc) I removed my SD card for some other reason and it seemed to work fine for 1-2 days. Yesterday the problem came back, this time with com.android.phone not working and it basically left my sim card useless. I tried hooking it up onto my laptop via usb, but the device wouldn't show up on the computer. The phone was still working though when I put it to charge before going to bed. This morning when I woke up the screen looked like (photo below). It was on when I first saw the screen (the green "battery full" light was on), but then I tried to reboot it like an idiot. :( Now I'm not even sure if it's working-when I try to turn it on, the screen comes on just like the photo below, but there's no response (no blue opening light, no short-vibration when booting). Is there any way of getting my precious files on internal storage out of this mess? Particularly my WhatsApp chat backups? Thanks a lot!
fotoğraf (1).JPG

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I will be happy to try and get your data off off your device. Can you please message me on hangouts? If not I can help you here...first step is to see if you can get into recovery mode.

Hold the home button and volume down continuously until you see the android icon, after pressing and releasing the power button

OP
S

sydiamond

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
I will be happy to try and get your data off off your device. Can you please message me on hangouts? If not I can help you here...first step is to see if you can get into recovery mode.

Hold the home button and volume down continuously until you see the android icon, after pressing and releasing the power button

Err, here works better for me, actually.

Alright, it does go into Odin mode. What next?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It went into odin mode?? Not recovery?? OPPS!! I typed it wrong!!
Try again with volume UP...not down please.
It should have a text menu. Please look for "wipe data cache" then try and reboot

Last edited:
OP
S

sydiamond

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Volume up doesn't bring the recovery menu--or maybe it does, but the phone shows the same screen as in photo above. The screen works properly only when booted into Odin mode.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
What is the model number of the device?? (Sticker behind battery) and carrier please??

OP
S

sydiamond

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Oh, it's an international one with no carrier etc. -- the model number is GT-I9300.

I wonder what I'd lose if I flashed the ROM through Odin? I know it wouldn't touch the photos, videos etc. as I'd done it before; but since it will delete my apps, I'm not sure if WhatsApp backups would remain there. Should I not go for Odin? Nothing else seems to work.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I am thinking of using a special odin technic that may solve the issue to get it backed up...was the device rooted?? And ODIN wipes EVERYTHING off the device... But the sdcard would be safe...not sure where it stores its data at

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Do you remember your android version?? It might get hairy if you dont...

OP
S

sydiamond

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
It wasn't rooted. Strange, I remember the last time I flashed the phone the data remained there... And it says this on some other place:

"Just to be more clear: Data on (external|internal) SD-Card (the Nexus uses an internal eMMCinstead of the external SD, if I'm correct) -- that is the place where you store your photos, videos, music files, etc. -- are not affected by the wipe. Just all "internal memory" -- i.e. the apps youinstalled, and all settings plus app data -- will be erased."

and this:

"What happens to existing files when flashing a new ROM very much depends of the location in question:

• your SDCard (internal or external) is not touched at all, apart from the fact you're placing the update.zip for flashing there.
  • your internal storage (/data and /cache) is neither touched by the flashing process itself. But when switching between different ROMs, it's recommended to wipe these two to avoid complications
  • some other locations are usually wiped and rewritten. This includes for sure /system, and in most cases also /boot"
Does it not mean the data will stay?

Yeah, I remember what my last version was.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ODIN directly flashes to the complete internal storage device of the phone. It is not an "update.zip" this is why you must be careful! I feel like you need to understand that your data may be lost. The extrrnal SDCard on the other hand will not be touched! I advise removing it from the device for now to make sure you dont lose that data.

I need to know the version..or I cant help you any further...

OP
S

sydiamond

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
I see, Odin on hold.

The version was 4.3 Jelly Bean.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You needa special odin package to flash. What country are you in??

OP
S

sydiamond

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Turkey.