Samsung Surprises by Announcing Galaxy Note Edge

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxynoteedge-engadget.jpg

Image above is from Engadget.​

It was no surprise that Samsung would announce the Galaxy Note 4, but what came as a shock was that they also announced the new Galaxy Note Edge as well.

The Note Edge is basically a special addition version of the Galaxy Note line, which includes a YOUM 5.6-inch Quad HD+ bent display (the "plus" in Quad HD+ refers to the 160 rows of extra pixels used on the side display).

Other than the display, the specs are the same as the Galaxy Note 4.

Last edited:

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
if the device pictured was the device shown I might be interested but I don't see an "edge" device with an extra screen element on a flat device as being "edgy" but rather just give me my screen back.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's not quite practical. It needs to be a right angle - that is just awkward/visually unappealing as far as usage, but I guess a right angle would make it difficult to see.

The only practical use I see would be for a dock bar or software buttons - but the same functionality would be accomplished without the angle display (and be more flexible as far as options).

My preference is either a right angle or even a "2nd" display for 5 "hot" keys, be it software buttons or app shortcuts or whatever. Would be a nice feature along the top edge of the phone.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...I don't see an "edge" device with an extra screen element on a flat device as being "edgy" but rather just give me my screen back.

...YOUM 5.6-inch Quad HD+ bent display (the "plus" in Quad HD+ refers to the 160 rows of extra pixels used on the side display)...

You aren't losing any screen real estate or resolution over a standard Quad HD screen. It's Quad HD PLUS the extra on the side.

I don't suppose Verizon will support this. I'm intrigued by it, especially with the column of hot button shortcuts.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You aren't losing any screen real estate or resolution over a standard Quad HD screen. It's Quad HD PLUS the extra on the side.

But where's the utility? It makes the phone wider, and it's not like disappearing docks/side bars take up valuable screen real estate.

It's an "interesting" advancement, but more novelty/gimmick and something that's unlikely to catch on. And between gestures and voice controls (and increased functionality of the taskbar/dropdown) I think the dock is ultimately destined for the same fate as the hardware keyboard.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The reason this is nothing but a gimmick is because you don't GAIN anything by curving one edge. That, to me, is nothing more than a screen with a row of icons running down the right edge. Why not just have a flat screen with the tabs on the side?

I own 2 Samsung TVs that I love. I had 2 fridges, and one was a big french door model that was AWESOME. I just ordered a keyless door lock for my home (the full SHS-H620 kit). I clearly don't hate the company, not by a longshot. But I hate 99% of EVERYTHING they do with smartphones. I can't stand the choices they make. I just don't like their cellphone division.

Last edited:

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
My preference is either a right angle or even a "2nd" display for 5 "hot" keys, be it software buttons or app shortcuts or whatever. Would be a nice feature along the top edge of the phone.

Samsung tried this in 2011 and it was not very popular; it was the Continuum. Very interesting idea though.

Samsung-Continuum-2z.jpg

I would prefer an edge-less display and just run a ticker app.

wardo

Reaction score
Anyone have the confirmed phone dimensions? Not the screen but the actual phone

swc2001

Reaction score
Call me a troll but I just cant see the Practicality of this. It seems like it kinda locks that real estate of the phone down to a specific purpose. Seems a little gimmicky to me. Then again maybe I am just an old Fart that doesn't get it.

It really just seems like yet another way to give Otter box and Zagg shield a curve ball for their Engineers. LOL

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Looks like a cracked screen waiting to happen. Unless you put a decent case on this device (which is going to ruin the actual functionality if this feature), I think it's a ridiculous idea.
But that's just me. I agree with Spej.....this is basically an updated version of the failed Continuum.
But hey, at least Sammy is trying new things so I have to give them points for that.

tap'n on my S5

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I think the Edge is awesome . Sure there are pluses and minuses. I like the idea of having icons for apps and features easily accessible. I like the camera function displayed in the curved area.
I wonder how well a screen protector will work with this device.. I am concerned about dropping it on the edge.
What are your thoughts?

wardo

Reaction score
I think I remember reading something a few months ago about this screen being unbreakable. Could be totally wrong here.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Did they show off this phone last year at the unpacked event?? Well a little bit...

PS I wish the note 4 was 5.5 inches...I miss my note 3, but it was just to dang big!!

Last edited: