Sapphire 1.1.1 FC's upon fresh deploy

swaj

Reaction score
I've always been able to use Sapphire in the past, but recently I decided to go back to stock 2.2 Froyo (FRG22D) without root. Well the rooting bug bit me hard, again, and I decided to re-root my FRG22D stock droid.

So I've installed Rom Manager, and I'm attempting to install Sapphire 1.1.1. The problem is that no matter what kernel or voltage I use, the second my phone boots after a fresh Sapphire install, the dialer and the setup program just FC over and over and over again.

I've tried wiping data and cache but it doesn't seem to help. Is there something I've missed?

Thanks for the help.

bhughesiii

Reaction score
Did you re-root first? I know there are apps like Easy Root that are a one click root method, but last I checked on it (approx 2 weeks ago) FRG22D was not part of it's rooting abilities.

OP
S

swaj

Reaction score
Yes I re-rooted. Flashed from Clockwork Mod Recovery. I used the SBF method from droid-life.com

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did you re-root first? I know there are apps like Easy Root that are a one click root method, but last I checked on it (approx 2 weeks ago) FRG22D was not part of it's rooting abilities.

Do not use easy root! I wish people would stop suggesting this. Rooting by easy root will do nothing but give you issues. Plus it will not bring you any steps closer to being able to install a custom Rom.

You need to follow link 3 in my sig to root the right way.

If you are already rooted what is happening, do you get the sapphire boot animation?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes I re-rooted. Flashed from Clockwork Mod Recovery. I used the SBF method from droid-life.com

If you don't use link 3 in my sig everytime you reboot you will have lost your stock recovery. This is your problem, I believe.

Edit: When you updated to FRG22D it updated your bootloader to write a stock recovery on every reboot.

Link 3 will solve

Last edited:
OP
S

swaj

Reaction score
I get the sapphire boot animation. I used this guide:

Another Android 2.2 FRG22D Rooting Method for the Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I haven't had any problems with root-only applications (like Rom Manager, Root Explorer, and Barnacle).

Here's something pretty interesting... I just downloaded 4 files from ccroms.net:

1. Sapphire 1.1.1
2. Sapphire 1.1.1 google apps
3. cvpcs 7-slot LV 125-1000 kernel
4. Incognito Red theme

Then I rebooted manually into ClockworkMod Recovery, wiped data/cache and installed each ZIP manually, and now it appears to be working fine. I wonder if ClockworkMod was flashing out of order or if my downloads through Rom Manager were messed up. Seems to be okay now, though.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I get the sapphire boot animation. I used this guide:

Another Android 2.2 FRG22D Rooting Method for the Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I haven't had any problems with root-only applications (like Rom Manager, Root Explorer, and Barnacle).

Here's something pretty interesting... I just downloaded 4 files from ccroms.net:

1. Sapphire 1.1.1
2. Sapphire 1.1.1 google apps
3. cvpcs 7-slot LV 125-1000 kernel
4. Incognito Red theme

Then I rebooted manually into ClockworkMod Recovery, wiped data/cache and installed each ZIP manually, and now it appears to be working fine. I wonder if ClockworkMod was flashing out of order or if my downloads through Rom Manager were messed up. Seems to be okay now, though.

Good, glad you got it working. For future reference, it's usually a good idea to do the rom, gapps and kernel first, reboot and make sure all is working correctly, make a nandroid backup (in case the theme you pick doesn't agree with your phone), then flash the theme.

Also RM is kind of hit or miss sometimes, the safest way is to do what you did and install manually:)

Zombie

Reaction score
I think your issues were being caused by the theme being flashed before the gapps.

joemustang

Reaction score
I had the Exact same problem last night. I ended up restoring my backup rom.

How do I load the files individually? anyone want to walk me through this? I really have no Idea, I usually just let Rom Manager work its magic.

Tsusai

Reaction score

How do I load the files individually? anyone want to walk me through this? I really have no Idea, I usually just let Rom Manager work its magic.

Download all the zips from sapphire:releases:1.1.1 [CCRoms Wiki]
(theme, rom, gapps) and place on SD card.

Boot into clockwork recovery (via rom manager), and using the clockwork recovery interface, wipe the phone, and install each zip file in order.

joemustang

Reaction score

Boot into clockwork recovery (via rom manager), and using the clockwork recovery interface, wipe the phone, and install each zip file in order.
oh ok, what is the Mirror? do I need that? and how do I load a kernel?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

oh ok, what is the Mirror? do I need that? and how do I load a kernel?

Mirror is just an alt place to d/l the file. Kernel is installed just like a ROM but no wipe.

joemustang

Reaction score
awesome thanks so much. I got it to work. But I do have one more questions. How do I change the theme now? I installed the Red Incognito but I want to try a different one. Do I just download the theme onto the phone and then boot into recovery and install the zip file of the new theme I want and it will automatically overwrite my previous theme or do I have to delete my last theme some how or something?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You could but it might not work right, the best way is to reinstall 1.1.1 and the gapps, NO WIPE this time, then install the new theme, NO WIPE, then you can flash the kernel you like.