Screen Flicker Issue

the5rivers

Reaction score
Hey guys, posted my issue in the general Droid X problem sticky, but wanted to post it here too and see if anyone else has experienced what I did.

Activated the X today, and played with it for about 20 mins when I started to notice some flickering on the bottom half of the screen. It would usually flicker when I was pressing the home button from another program i.e. maps, browser. Then, a couple of mins after that, I was just surfing the home screens, and the bottom half began to flicker constantly. The top half was completely stable, but the bottom half was flickering non stop. It would flicker on the lock screen, any program i opened, broswers, maps etc. So, turned the screen on and off, still there, rebooted phone, still there. Figured I would try a factory reset.

Did a factory reset, and while it was showing the android icon during reboot, was still flickering, then once the moto icon came on, just had a dotted line through the moto icon. Once the phone booted into the home screen, no flicker, no lines. Tried to reproduce the issue, and so far cannot find the issue again. While browsing, the dotted line did show up again, but I turned the screen on and off, and it went away. Been actively trying to reproduce the issue, but I just cannot. Figure ill give it another day to see if it starts up again.

Anyone else have this issue or something similar to it? I am thinking to take it to the store to exchange it, but I dunno if they will just take it back on my word (which is why I am trying to reproduce it but to no avail). Any advice?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

EDIT (7/20/10): Looks like Moto/VZW have confirmed the issue (via engadget), and I have already placed an order to get a replacement device:

"Verizon Wireless and Motorola are aware of a very small number of DROID X units that have experienced a flickering or banding display. Motorola has resolved the issue and is continuing to ship the phones. Any consumer who experiences a flickering or banding display should contact a Motorola customer support center or Verizon Wireless."

Last edited:

Takenumbrage

Reaction score
Had something very similar happen to me. Vertical banding and flickering. Did all the standard troubleshooting stuff, turning off the phone, battery pulls, etc without success.

Did a factory reset earlier today and haven't had any more issues. If it happens again I'll swap it for a new one, but I'm ~8 hours without any issues with heavy usage.

Last edited:
OP
T

the5rivers

Reaction score
Had something very similar happen to me. Vertical banding and flickering. Did all the standard troubleshooting stuff, turning off the phone, battery pulls, etc.

Did a factory earlier today and haven't had any more issues. If it happens again I'll swap it for a new one, but I'm ~8 hours without any issues with heavy usage.

Yup same, I had the banding as well, and turned the phone off, but didnt do a battery pull, etc. Just did the reset.

Well I will give it another day and see if it happens again. So far after the factory reset, I havent been able to reproduce anything except for the dotted line that came but went away after I turned my screen on/off.

Thanks for the input, gives me some hope that maybe all it needed was a reset.

Takenumbrage

Reaction score
How's this for timing. Just started getting flickering again. Guess I need to call Verizon in the morning.

OP
T

the5rivers

Reaction score
How's this for timing. Just started getting flickering again. Guess I need to call Verizon in the morning.

Haha wow are you serious? Yeah, the more I think about it, I am going to go to the store and just ask for an exchange. No point in having to deal with it, plus if it happens after 30 days again, i would get a refurb and not a brand new one.

I will be going tomorrow as well. Tough luck!!

CrashF16

Reaction score
Search the forums...it's starting to seem that this is a common problem. I had to exchange my Droid X after the first day due to flickering and "banding" as you call it. The bottom third flickered and then progressed to gray bands that made the lower half of the screen completely unusable. I was able to call Verizon who tracked down a phone at a nearby store for me to do an exchange with. I wouldn't count on that though as quantities are still very limited.

timmy13

Reaction score
screen flicker

I'm having the same problem with my screen, but even after numerous factory resets i'm still unable to fix the problem and it seems to be getting worse. any other advice from anybody.

david5452

Reaction score
Trust me it gets worse. Mine started with flickering. Now its 3/4 of screen doing it and is all black. Had to re activate incredible while replacement is mailed to me

OP
T

the5rivers

Reaction score
After getting the run around from VZW (csr to tech to csr), I finally got them to place an order for a new device to be sent to me. Obviously, it wont be until the 7/27, but at least I am getting a new one dancedroid

Funny thing is now the flickering is not occurring as much, but regardless, dont want to take a chance.

Takenumbrage

Reaction score
Obviously, it wont be until the 7/27, but at least I am getting a new one dancedroid

Funny thing is now the flickering is not occurring as much, but regardless, dont want to take a chance.

Talked to them and they wanted me to ship my phone to them first, 2 weeks without a phone isn't an option for me (brand new to Verizon).

Same for me, haven't had any flickering since my last post yesterday. Not sure how I want to procede.

Edit: Anyone get the OTA update due today? Don't suppose it helps anything.

Last edited:
OP
T

the5rivers

Reaction score
Obviously, it wont be until the 7/27, but at least I am getting a new one dancedroid

Talked to them and they wanted me to ship my phone to them first, 2 weeks without a phone isn't an option for me (brand new to Verizon).

Same for me, haven't had any flickering since my last post yesterday. Not sure how I want to procede.

Hmm, I think you should tell them that not having a phone for 2 weeks is not an option for you. Esp if your a new customer, you should definitely voice your opinion and let them know that you want a new phone sent to you and that you will send the old phone back when they send you the new one.

When I talked to them, I had to talk to three CSR's and a tech, and they kept saying that there is a "backlight" issue that is going to be fixed via the .604 update. I then told them that I am not having the "backlight" issue they were describing, but rather that my screen was flickering at intermittent times and that I didnt want to take a chance with it after my 30 days were up. I told them that this is not an isolated problem, and that many other users have already placed orders for an exchange, etc. I told her there were many forums and videos discussing the screen flicker issue. At that point, and after searching her own sources, the CSR said we will send you a new phone under the "worry-free guarantee." She said that I could send my old phone back when I get the new one, so you should request the same thing. Got my order number and just waiting now until 7/27.

Hope it helps! I would be stern but not rude obviously. If they mention the "backlight" issue, tell them that that is not the problem you are having, but rather your screen is actually flickering (they couldn't understand the diff when i was explaining that to them lol).

timmy13

Reaction score
After getting the run around from VZW (csr to tech to csr), I finally got them to place an order for a new device to be sent to me. Obviously, it wont be until the 7/27, but at least I am getting a new one dancedroid

I called verizon and they are overnighting me a brand new x. The tech rep told me they had a warehouse full of them so I would call them back and tell them you need it now.

OP
T

the5rivers

Reaction score

I called verizon and they are overnighting me a brand new x. The tech rep told me they had a warehouse full of them so I would call them back and tell them you need it now.

When did you talk to them? And more importantly, did you get a tracking number/shipping confirmation?

timmy13

Reaction score

When did you talk to them? And more importantly, did you get a tracking number/shipping confirmation?

I talked to them around 4 a.m. pacific time and they told me to call back a little later. I called back at around 1 p.m. pacific time and asked to talk to a tech rep and told him the issues I've been having and that I saw others were having the same issues and then told him I was informed by a tech rep earlier that they had a warehouse full of droid x phones and he put me on hold and then came back on a minute later after talking to his manager and they got it shipped. They text messaged me the tracking code and it will be at my door by Wednesday afternoon they said. I just called back to confirm and make sure it was enroute and it's on it's way. I hope this helps in getting a replacement device earlier since I saw they just pushed the deliverys back until August.

OP
T

the5rivers

Reaction score

I talked to them around 4 a.m. pacific time and they told me to call back a little later. I called back at around 1 p.m. pacific time and asked to talk to a tech rep and told him the issues I've been having and that I saw others were having the same issues and then told him I was informed by a tech rep earlier that they had a warehouse full of droid x phones and he put me on hold and then came back on a minute later after talking to his manager and they got it shipped. They text messaged me the tracking code and it will be at my door by Wednesday afternoon they said. I just called back to confirm and make sure it was enroute and it's on it's way. I hope this helps in getting a replacement device earlier since I saw they just pushed the deliverys back until August.

Interesting. I talked to them about 1030am today, and the csr and tech i spoke with said it wont ship until 7/27. Congrats to you that you are getting yours on Wed!

EDIT: Well, spoke to VZW again, and same thing. He said the phones are backordered and wont ship until 7/27 if ordered today. I mentioned to him your experience, and he said that you should probably double check that because he said every wherehouse is empty. Take that as you will, but regardless if you got a tracking number, good for you man I envy you!

Last edited: