SD card unrecognized after OTA update

cadams4lsu

Reaction score
I have a 16G SD card that holds all my pictures and videos, I should say held. After the update this morning my phone is saying my SD card is blank or has unsupported file system. When I go to setting to look at the card it is not showing up. Anyone else have or heard of this issue? What can be don about this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

smmfc

Reaction score
I've had it happen too all I did was un mount the SD card in storage settings and remount it and it usually works but sometimes needs a reboot. I also had my 4g card un mount itself too but I turned the phone off and removed and wiped off the SD and 4g cards and reinstalled and no problems since.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have a 16G SD card that holds all my pictures and videos, I should say held. After the update this morning my phone is saying my SD card is blank or has unsupported file system. When I go to setting to look at the card it is not showing up. Anyone else have or heard of this issue? What can be don about this?

I am very sorry to hear of your SD card woes. This could be as a result of many things and the data may be recoverable - or it may not. FIRST, I would suggest you power the phone down and restart. You can either press and hold BOTH the Power button and Volume Down at the same time for about 10 seconds (Hard Reset, AKA "Battery pull"), or you can press and hold power for about 3 seconds and then choose "Power off". Then power back up and see if the card responds normally. Remember, give it about 15-30 seconds after you see the full screen before expecting the card to be properly mounted.

If that doesn't work, remove the SD card, wait 5 seconds, and then reinsert the card and wait 15-30 seconds for the card to properly mount. Again, if it doesn't show up properly then I would try reading it from the desktop PC with a card reader adapter. If it reads there, then I'd transfer everything off onto the PC and reformat the card IN THE PHONE.

If that doesn't work, then I'd resort to a data retrieval tool. I use R-Studio but there are plenty of GOOD data recovery tools out there. Just be careful to make sure you only save any data off to another drive, NOT back to the card during the recovery. Usually you can recover most, if not all of the data on one of these cards, unless the card is truly failed - electronically that is.

Good luck! :biggrin:

OP
C

cadams4lsu

Reaction score
Just tried the card: n my daughters phone an it did not mount in hers either. Called Verizon and they are sending me a new card. Thank for the suggestions on data recovery. Guess I need to get a card reader. Wonder if Verizon will through that in as well worth a shot I guess.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just tried the card: n my daughters phone an it did not mount in hers either. Called Verizon and they are sending me a new card. Thank for the suggestions on data recovery. Guess I need to get a card reader. Wonder if Verizon will through that in as well worth a shot I guess.

I doubt it, but you certainly want to try to recover that data. Make sure that card remains away from any static electricity that could come in contact with the Gold pins. There are plenty of really inexpensive readers out there, and if you already have an SD card reader on your laptop or computer, there are Micro-SDHC to SD adapters that accept the Micro-SDHC card and fit into a standard SD card slot. Otherwise you can get one of the Micro-SDHC readers that plug directly into the USB port of a computer. I would stick with a name brand such as Sandisc, Patriot, Kingston, or the like.

Good luck and whatever you do, don't give up on that card until you've tried to recover the data with a reputable data recovery tool.

Also, in the future you may wish to add instant upload capability from the phone to the home PC via Motocast, or add a Box.com or Dropbox.com account and install the resident app for your phone. Box.com comes with 50GB free (yeah, I said 50 Gigabites!). I have it installed on my phone, have the software installed on the desktop PC, and can backup and access the files from anywhere. This way, if the card fails I still have the bakup on my PC, and also on the Box.com cloud.

Finally, once you've recovered the data, insert the card back into the phone and reformat it. My bet is it's just corrupted and will work perfectly normally after the reformat. Just think, now you'll have a backup card too!

Best wishes! :biggrin:

OP
C

cadams4lsu

Reaction score
Good news....Verizon I sending. Card reader with my new card. Thanks for the advice, I will put it all to the test

RodneyLee

Reaction score
SDcard won't mount

Droid Razr after OTA update 4.1.2 no longer mounts SDcard, and everytime I try to open STORAGE under SETTINGS, SETTINGS Crashes, check card on my computer works fine, also tried another card, didn't work either, rumor is MOTO changed the Path to the SDcard in the update....

is theer anyway to get this to mount again?

-R

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Droid Razr after OTA update 4.1.2 no longer mounts SDcard, and everytime I try to open STORAGE under SETTINGS, SETTINGS Crashes, check card on my computer works fine, also tried another card, didn't work either, rumor is MOTO changed the Path to the SDcard in the update....

is theer anyway to get this to mount again?

-R

i would try a factory reset, if that doesnt work i would re-flash jb.
i actually had the ota for my rmhd break the phone on the way home from verizon when i bought it, went right back and they gave me another new one lol

andersonks

Reaction score
Seems that the SD card is corrupted, you may format it and then insert it to phone.